Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Jason wrote back. He has a 4e rule book coming out right away! 

 

He didn't want to discourage this idea but he recommended we hold off for a bit to see how the book does etc.

 

It's a great idea and I'm glad he's doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

 

If we're discussing something that could be sold under the umbrella of Hall of Champions, that's not strictly true. This is from Jason Walters' announcement of the project: "You’ll be allowed to publish using any version of the Hero System you like from 1st to 6th, including Champions Now. You will also be allowed to use both intellectual property that belongs to Hero Games, as well as the Champions Universe, which belongs to Cryptic Studios. The program will supply artwork and templates to work from to make the entire process as easy as possible."

 

Now the question would be, whether that allowance would include a repackaging of any edition of the rules, beyond just referring to those rules in your product. Hero Games already sells PDF versions of the rules for every edition of Champions, as well as for all the individual  genres from before they were consolidated under 4E. Pbemguy would need to take that issue up with Jason.

The Second is what I meant.  For myself I am working (very slowly) on a couple of supplements, one that will include 4th edition stat blocks, and then converted to 6th, and another with 5th. converted to 6th.  But it's really slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to think a bit, but I'm sure there is something I can do, along the lines I was thinking.

 

It feels like this company is set up to make ideas like this work, and that makes me happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like jason; he's a good guy.  But don't get too excited about the 4e book coming out in the next few weeks. 

 

When I was pdf-ING the 4e Western HERO and Horror HERO books, I mentioned doing the Adventurers Club and was asked to wait because there was "something coming soon." 

 

That was....   Quite some time ago, actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

When I was pdf-ING the 4e Western HERO

 

Heh, I forgot about that project already! :nonp:  I loved working on that book, but when I put it down it completely disappeared from my mind. I just ordered a copy from the store. Thanks for the inadvertent reminder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe what I need to work on is updating some old modules--new artwork, formatting.

 

Has Stronghold had a good update? Is there a recent VIPER book? Enemies? And what's the status of Foxbat? Can we use him? Do I need to talk to Bruce Harlick? (Because that would be fun anyway!) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

 

Heh, I forgot about that project already! :nonp:  I loved working on that book, but when I put it down it completely disappeared from my mind. I just ordered a copy from the store. Thanks for the inadvertent reminder.

Send me a copy of your approval / receipt and I'll send you the covers.  I don't know why he didn't put the covered version on the store.  😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Send me a copy of your approval / receipt and I'll send you the covers.  I don't know why he didn't put the covered version on the store.  😕

That's not as easy as I thought it would be. I sent a link to my purchase through the DOJ store. Let me know that you got it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pbemguy said:

Maybe what I need to work on is updating some old modules--new artwork, formatting.

 

Has Stronghold had a good update? Is there a recent VIPER book? Enemies? And what's the status of Foxbat? Can we use him? Do I need to talk to Bruce Harlick? (Because that would be fun anyway!) ;)

 

Whole sourcebook for Stronghold for 5E and the current official setting. Ditto VIPER. There's the  6E Champions Villains trilogy (Master Villains/Villain Teams/Solo Villains) with over 300 villains, and Foxie's in the third of those; but some official villains didn't make the cut, particularly international ones. Based on Jason's comments Foxbat should be available to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

It worked fine,  Brian.  Honestly, a screen shot would have been sufficient. 

I tried a screenshot, but couldn't find a way to attach a file in the message. It only allowed a url for a file or image, but not an option to upload an image. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Based on Jason's comments Foxbat should be available to use.

 

Nothing I saw in the Hall of Champions guidelines indicated you could use any of the published villains/NPC's.  It is one of my big disappointments with HoC.  In DM's Guild I can use any NPC or Creature in their books in an adventure/scenario as long as it listed in minimum stat block and minimum description (IE no copying the entire entry) as long as it is only published via their GM's Guild.  The other CC programs I have read are variations on that theme.  But HoC doesn't let you use existing villains.  You have to use original material which defeats the purpose of building adventures to draw people into the Champions Universe.   I have an intro adventure I called Crime Spree (I'd have to make a different name) where GRAB (Black Diamond, Bluejay, Cheshire Cat, Hummingbird version) are committing a series of robberies.  It was designed for use as a stand alone series or it can be plugged into a greater campaign by GRAB being hired by one of your campaigns Master Villains.  A good multi-session non-lethal crime story.  I've actually used it several times in the past.  But If I can't use GRAB, I'd have to create completely new villains and completely play-test it.  But without an active Champion gaming group I can't do any of the needed play-testing.  I was really hoping HoC would be like the others.  Allow adventures firmly grounded in the CU using just enough of the CU Villainy to wet peoples appetite. 

 

I've bought several game supplements because I wanted the full write-ups of things and NPC's mentioned in a CC  adventure or supplement I bought.  My Crime Spree takes place in Hudson City and makes full use of both the HC Book and the awesome HC Map by describing street locations and landmarks shown on the map.  I was going to embellish this version with more references to the CU, HC and GRAB with the intent of getting people to want the books for the full information and get a copy of the map.  One of the reasons I use HC so much is I can lay a copy of the map on the table for the players, after all the PC's would know the layout of the city, they live there. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spence said:

Nothing I saw in the Hall of Champions guidelines indicated you could use any of the published villains/NPC's.  It is one of my big disappointments with HoC. 

This is why DOJ can't be saved. There's no way to save them from themselves, no matter how hard we try to drag them into the 21st Century. :stupid:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, let's put this up again:

  

On 3/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, Lord Liaden said:

If we're discussing something that could be sold under the umbrella of Hall of Champions, that's not strictly true. This is from Jason Walters' announcement of the project: "You’ll be allowed to publish using any version of the Hero System you like from 1st to 6th, including Champions Now. You will also be allowed to use both intellectual property that belongs to Hero Games, as well as the Champions Universe, which belongs to Cryptic Studios. The program will supply artwork and templates to work from to make the entire process as easy as possible."

 

If you have reason to suspect that "Champions Universe" in this context excludes the published characters, I would suggest contacting Jason for clarification.

 

EDIT: I decided to pose the question to Jason myself. I'll transcribe his response here when he gets back to me. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 11:14 AM, pbemguy said:

Jason wrote back. He has a 4e rule book coming out right away! 

 

He didn't want to discourage this idea but he recommended we hold off for a bit to see how the book does etc.

 

It's a great idea and I'm glad he's doing it.

A 4e rule book coming out? Someone knows what this is all about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

A 4e rule book coming out? Someone knows what this is all about?

 

I will copy and paste exactly what was said in the PMs:

 

JASON: Well, I'm about to release a Print On Demand version of Champions 4th Edition. So let's hold off on doing a new version of that book until I see how that goes. I'm not saying no: just not yet. Jason Walters, Publisher


ME: Can I mention on the thread that you have a 4e coming out?

 

JASON: Yes. I should have it available as a physical book soon. I need to order a proof copy and send it to Ruben for review. Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I am concerned, it has been all good news so far. And this thread is helping me get a feel for how to publish within CHampions/Hero, and it has never felt more accessible to me.

 

Please look at this thread as a newbie navigating how to get some Hero 4e/5e material out there to help popularize the game. If you're in the same boat, please jump on. I know I can't do it all by myself. Projects like these are something I enjoy on their own, and I enjoy getting to know who's in the know and who has the pull etc.

 

To me, even this part, the hacking through all the hullabaloo and red tape, is fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pbemguy said:

 

 

I will copy and paste exactly what was said in the PMs:

 

JASON: Well, I'm about to release a Print On Demand version of Champions 4th Edition. So let's hold off on doing a new version of that book until I see how that goes. I'm not saying no: just not yet. Jason Walters, Publisher


ME: Can I mention on the thread that you have a 4e coming out?

 

JASON: Yes. I should have it available as a physical book soon. I need to order a proof copy and send it to Ruben for review. Jason

Thanks, makes sense. With the limited capacity HERO/DOJ has these days, I was wondering what a new HERO 4E could be. I don't know how involved it is to prepare an old file for POD (I am sure it's not trivial) but GURPS now has a truck load of 3rd edition supplements as POD so it's definitely doable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Okay, let's put this up again:

  

 

If you have reason to suspect that "Champions Universe" in this context excludes the published characters, I would suggest contacting Jason for clarification.

 

EDIT: I decided to pose the question to Jason myself. I'll transcribe his response here when he gets back to me. :)

 


 

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Hello, Jason. Sorry to bother you, but there's apparently a difference of opinion among community members on the forums as to what IP a would-be writer for HOC would be allowed to use. You wrote in the original announcement: "You’ll be allowed to publish using any version of the Hero System you like from 1st to 6th, including Champions Now. You will also be allowed to use both intellectual property that belongs to Hero Games, as well as the Champions Universe, which belongs to Cryptic Studios." However, because the guidelines for HOC writers don't explicitly state that one would be able to use published characters in these works, including character sheets, there's an assumption that they would not be allowed.

 

Would you mind clarifying whether or not published characters are excluded? I'll transcribe your response to the appropriate forum. :)

 

Thanks for your time,

 

LL

 

  

2 hours ago, Jason S.Walters said:

The use of published characters and their sheets is explicitly allowed, as all Community Content creations are de jure published by Hero Games, and thus everything remains the property of Hero Games and/or Cryptic Studios , even though fan-creators are working with it. 

 

(Though, really, aren't we all fan-creators around here?)

 

Jason Walters, Publisher

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:


 

 

  

 

 

I gotta say, I find the use of "fan-creator" insulting in this context. There was no need to use it in this response, even if someone mentioned that phrasing on his end at some point. This is why, when you're running a company, you need to know about public relations. By the way, try that one on JJ Abrams...

 

And, when you say "fan-creators," are you not reminding the very people that you want to do free work for you that hold them in lower regard than paid creators--the very people that are trying to help you?

 

I personally don't see the sense in it, but I will try not to let this dissuade me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh.

 

I think you might be reading too much into it.  At the end of the day, it seems like a nice way to say both "unproven amateur" and "fellow lover of the things I love" without actually saying "I'd rather use this time-tested product, but thanks."

 

Thought that could be just me.

 

 

Now if he'd back it up a couple more editions, I could pick up a few more books.   :lol:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I consider the expression a reasonable distinction from creators who are actually employed or contracted by Hero Games. We are after all discussing who has a legal right to use Hero/Cryptic IP, which non-employees normally don't. And Jason includes himself and all of us in the category of "fan-creators" in the end. I don't find it offensive, but YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...