Saving Champions/Hero

pbemguy

1 hour ago, pbemguy said:

I have a love/hate thing for him, so I get it.

I don't hate JJ Abrams. I don't allot him that much brain space. But I have no use for him. I watched the first season of LOST, but gave up after that because it became clear me at that point that there was no "there" there. That he was happy to create an endless series of mysteries, but there was no answer forthcoming--well, other than an ass-pull at the eleventh hour, if that. Life is too short for that kind of crap.

19 minutes ago, sinanju said:

I don't hate JJ Abrams. I don't allot him that much brain space. But I have no use for him. I watched the first season of LOST, but gave up after that because it became clear me at that point that there was no "there" there. That he was happy to create an endless series of mysteries, but there was no answer forthcoming--well, other than an ass-pull at the eleventh hour, if that. Life is too short for that kind of crap.

I got the same impression with Fringe.

46 minutes ago, Greywind said:

I got the same impression with Fringe.

Yeah, and The X-Files (Chris Carter, not Abrams). I was a big fan of that show---until I realized there was no master plot of The Conspiracy (tm) above Chris Carter's desk, that he was just making **** up as he went. I continued watching the show, but only really cared about the "Monster of the Week" episodes that had nothing to do with the overarching "plot".

1 hour ago, sinanju said:

There was a point in LOST when I realized (honestly) "Oh my God, they're just going to leave it this big unexplained mess." But I realized that I was okay with that. My favorite parts of LOST were how Jack grew as a leader, how he dealt with the crap that was thrown at him, how he looked out for his people. I didn't love the ending, but I was fine and I still love the show. The early tip-off for me was that a lot of the same people working on LOST were the people who did The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., and that show was a spiraling mess but with a helluva charismatic lead, so I kind of knew it was just going to end as kind of a shaggy dog story sorta thing.

1 hour ago, pbemguy said:

There was a point in LOST when I realized (honestly) "Oh my God, they're just going to leave it this big unexplained mess." But I realized that I was okay with that. My favorite parts of LOST were how Jack grew as a leader, how he dealt with the crap that was thrown at him, how he looked out for his people. I didn't love the ending, but I was fine and I still love the show. The early tip-off for me was that a lot of the same people working on LOST were the people who did The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., and that show was a spiraling mess but with a helluva charismatic lead, so I kind of knew it was just going to end as kind of a shaggy dog story sorta thing.

Yeah, that point for me was the end of S1 of LOST, and I did care. A lot. Because it meant a lot of the stuff we saw--the polar bear, the smoke monster, the hatch...ultimately meant nothing. And I didn't care much for the characters because they were (in my opinion) too stupid to live in most cases. Same reason I never got into The Walking Dead. I can't care about characters (and their conflicts, growth, relationships, etc) if I find them to be ignorant morons who would all have long since been eaten by walkers if they weren't wearing plot armor. On the other hand, I'll forgive wooden acting, laughable SFX, and cheap sets...if the writing is tight, and the characters are smart.

I like Brisco County, Jr. I'm a big fan of Bruce Campbell. But I thought the main bad guy (whose name I can't even recall now) was horribly miscast and/or a horrible actor. I thought several of his minions were FAR more entertaining to watch. "You touched Pete's piece! Nobody touches Pete's piece!"

1 minute ago, sinanju said:

I like Brisco County, Jr. I'm a big fan of Bruce Campbell. But I thought the main bad guy (whose name I can't even recall now) was horribly miscast and/or a horrible actor. I thought several of his minions were FAR more entertaining to watch. "You touched Pete's piece! Nobody touches Pete's piece!"

Bruce Campbell is always amazing, but the guy who played Pete Hutter really did an amazing job. When I think back to the show I always think of Pete. :)

3 hours ago, sinanju said:

If it was just Lost and Fringe, I wouldn’t care, but it’s the wholesale destruction of formerly entertaining franchises, by Abrams, and his acolytes.