The Master List Superdraft

Sociotard

I Remember...

Chapter Four

The siege was on.

Van Helsing cried out to his companions inside the walls of the Alamo that the mad rush was coming as the thought of history repeating itself in a monstrous rendition crossed his mind.  Red-eyed vampires and lizard-like aliens rushed from the fog, launching themselves into the walls with such force that the building shook.

Barricading themselves into a section of the Alamo, Van Helsing, Alfred Pennyworth and Blackhawk prepared for the worst, determined that they would not go down without a fight.  The spirits of William B. Travis, Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie were strong inside the room, but that did not build a sense of confidence or serenity.  

As vampires crashed through windows, Van Helsing was trying to minimize the available entrances to the room, targeting his fire into the very spot.  Every vampire that fell to the side seemed to be replaced by three more. Even in the years he had fought the monsters galore, he had never seen such a swarm.  REMEMBER

Alfred Pennyworth had never been considered a third wheel in a fight by anyone who truly knew him.  His appearance did not reveal his skill, which was why he was always a valuable cog in the fight against crime in Gotham City.  He was both literally and figuratively miles from those fights now. REMEMBER

Blackhawk preferred the freedom of the skies.  The rush of flight and the feeling inside of power at maneuvering through the air, the wind in his face.  He was feeling desperately claustrophobic as the space was filling with creatures unlike those he had dealt with ever before.  Every bullet he fired made him more precarious about the intensifying situation surrounding him. REMEMBER.

Three men.  Unlike in many ways.  Yet three heroes. Men who would not give up.  They may not have known why this was happening or how they found themselves in this unwinnable circumstance, but they fought on.

Too much.  Too many. The swarm of monsters continued to prostrate them.

Before succumbing to the crushing mass, Van Helsing did wonder why none of these vampires were biting him, despite the cuts and the blood upon his body.  

Then it was over.

I Remember...

Chapter Five

*SMACK*

“Wake up, Van Helsing,” the German accented voice said, “time is short.”

Van Helsing rolled his head and, no matter how hard he wished, he could not place his hand on his now throbbing face for comfort.  The reason was that he was securely bound in place by some form of rope. Alfred and Blackhawk were both in and out of consciousness and tied to stakes that had been driven into the floor of the Alamo.  Chunks of the walls had been torn asunder, scattered around the area.

A second slap echoed through the Alamo.

“I’m awake,” Van Helsing said, angered by the insult.  A large man with blue fiery flame from his head stood beside a green skinned man who had another man chained in a hump behind him.  These were people he had never seen before. REMEMBER.  What was going on?

“Good to see that you have survived for the moment.  You are a vital piece of the puzzle,” said Helspont, moving forward.

“Who in the hell are you?” Van Helsing said.  Alfred and Blackhawk were beginning to come around more fully and were taking in the desperate situation that they found themselves.  They were not dead, though, which was a plus. They were also pleased that they were not waking up as vampires, a consideration that they had made as they were succumbing to the horde of blood suckers.  REMEMBER

Helspont smiled.  Any other time such bravado, in particular coming from a human, would have led to him striking the man down, but he knew that Gabriel Van Helsing was necessary and he would commute his sentence for the moment.  

“I am Lord Helspont,” he said, “and the four of you have something that I require.”

“I’ve never seen you before in my life, Lord,” said Van Helsing.  “And I only met those two when we were escaping from…” REMEMBER

“Yes?” smiled Helspont.

“Hugo Strange,” said Alfred.

REMEMBER

Yesterday

Van Helsing had tracked Baron Blood across the country.  The monstrous vampire had come on his radar recently and his mission required him to terminate the creature.  

He had no idea what he was getting into.

He was also unaware that his arrival was not actually a surprise.

This was a castle, or at least, may as well have been one.  You did not find many of these in the States, yet here it was.  It was not the first castle he had sneaked into, but it was the first one he had entered with an airplane at the top.  He did not understand what he was seeing.

As he peered into the room, he saw a man working over equipment, deep in thought.  He had no clue who he was and only later would he hear that this was Hugo Strange. Baron Blood was there too, lurking in the shadows.  A few other vampires were in the place, seemingly under Blood’s control. 

He also saw the man who must have been the pilot of that aforementioned airplane, and a man dressed as a butler, bound and tied besides the mad scientist.

“Alfred,” he said, “it will be just a short time until I have the power to finally rid the world of the Bat.”

Bat?  Is he trying to kill Baron Blood? Van Helsing thought.  That does not make sense.  

“Baron, have you gotten the fourth man?”

“Of course I have, Hugo,” replied Blood.  With a glance, an unconscious man who had been chained up was brought into the room.

Firearm?  Van Helsing said.  He recognized him. They had briefly teamed up on one of his cases.  He was a private investigator. Alec Swan. Van Helsing knew him to be a good man.  Four men?  %$^%$

“The machine is ready.  Seize the day!” Strange said, slamming the button.  A massive jolt of energy leapt from the machine, snatching Van Helsing from outside the window.  The energy engulfed him and the pilot,the butler and Firearm. The four of them were pulled into a quadrangle at the outskirts of the energy, held in place.  Strange was laughing as the energy reached out once again, this time for something… outside.

In the middle of the energy, a white skinned man appeared, a green cloak hanging from his frame.

“The Spectre?” the butler said and Van Helsing barely thought about why the butler would know this ghost.  

Before anything else could be said, the Spectre was torn into four pieces, one piece projected at each of the four men, barreling into their chests.  The pain was excruciating. It burned unlike anything that Van Helsing could remember. After an endless few seconds, the energy dispersed and the four men dropped to the ground.  A fifth man fell to the floor as well, from the place where the ghost had floated.

“What happened?” muttered Van Helsing, not able to remember anything from the last few seconds.  It was as someone had pulled a cover over his memory.

“Success!” screamed Strange.  

But success was short-lived.  The word barely escaped the mouth of the scientist before Baron Blood was on him.  The fangs sunk deeply in as he ripped his throat out. Baron Blood buried his teeth into the soft flesh of the scientist as the warm, life giving plasma drained from his form.  Strange’s shocked screams were muffled from the monster and he slowly sunk to the floor.  

Karma’s a bitch,” Van Helsing thought, looking at the others.  “Get up,”

Helping the others to their feet, Van Helsing turned to the pilot.  

“Was that your plane I saw?” he said. “Can you get us out of here?”

“Yes,” he said.

The four rushed toward the exit of the room, however, Firearm was snatched by the other vampires before he could escape.  The other three could not stop as they were being pursued by a horde of vampires who seemed to come out of nowhere. Van Helsing hated leaving him behind, but they would not survive a fight right now.  They were too weak. If only they could get to that plane.

NOW

“You three attempted your futile escape just before I arrived.  I must say, I did not expect three heroes such as yourselves to just run off while you left Swan and Corrigan behind,” said Helspont.

“Who’s Corrigan?” Van Helsing said, growing irritated at being confused by what was happening.

“He was the Spectre,” said Alfred, once again showing off the knowledge that a normal butler would not have.  “He’s right over there.”

“Correct, Alfred Pennyworth,” said Helspont.  “He needs to be here as the anchor. You see, you are the vessels that I required.  The power of the Spectre is beyond mine and I want it. I could not have taken it on my own, but by splitting into fours, I can control the power...making the transfer easier.”

“Are you insane?” asked Blackhawk.

“Of course not.  Hugo Strange would have never been able to create the necessary equipment without Querl Dox…” started Helspont.

“Brainiac 5, you mean” said Alfred.

“My aren’t we Mr. Know-it-all,” said Brainiac 5.

“Yes, so as soon as Strange was able to accrue the four of you, he became quite expendable.”

Baron Blood smiled.

Slapping on some gauntlets handed to him by Brainiac 5, Helspont said, “And in a few minutes, the four of you will be expendable as well.”

Overview of the main portion of our story:

Doom and his allies ... he hasn't required sworn allegiance from any of them ... go forward with negotiations for Latveria's purchase of the Exclusion Zone.  Meanwhile, there are increasing frequent and increasingly violent confrontations between Doom's forces and forces that become creepier and stronger as the story wears on, probably for a couple of years of the Downwind From Hell comics line.  The upshot is: yes, there is a Hellmouth that was opened here, and things are coming out of it.

At the close of the story, on a badly polluted field in the Zone, two small armies line up.  Before battle opens, a small party comes forward from the Hellspawn, under a flag of truce.  All but one of that party are grunts.  The one who matters is the First, who presents an infernal document stating that he has plenipotentiary diplomatic powers for this affair, and the First, Doom, and most of his core team repair to a reasonably comfortable building nearby for the parley.

First draft of the parley:

The First calmly said, "So, Doctor Lord Doom, will you deal with us?  The mundane states would not have believed we were present here, even if they had the means to detect us.  You have ... greater insight and more resourcefulness than they.  We are Legion, and we have a foothold here.  Expelling us will be difficult.

"But we are willing to make contracts.  There is to be a new regime in this poor, abused part of Earth.  We would prefer, of course, that our role remain unrecognized.  Previously we had intended to make a puppet governor of some multinational custodial team.  In no plan were you to be that governor.  I say to you truthfully that you are no one's puppet.  

"But I and Others think that what we have found here, with Latveria negotiating legal, formal purchase, is a better opportunity than our original concept.  We propose that officially Latveria make the purchase the Exclusion Zone, and Latveria administers it according to its own agenda, and we will, as it were, pay rent.  Secretly, you tolerate Our foothold here in ways that we will negotiate, and you will receive guarantees and benefits to make it worth your while.  There would be profit for both sides."

"But you could have it all," replied Doom.  "Do not deny this."

"Let me explain then why Our side finds this attractive.  With Latveria officially ruling here, the region is governed by an ominous but clearly human agency.  Earth has long put up with such things.  In such a situation there are precedents, and the threat to the world is perhaps wearily familiar, but tolerable.  If Latveria devotes its energies to imposing order in the Exclusion Zone and developing its resources, well, many states would find this not only less threatening than your recent other activities, it would be perceived as unquestionably benign.  If Latveria were to clean most of the pollution, accept rehabitation in peace, and bring peace and prosperity here on a scale never seen before here in eastern Europe ... well, I daresay, there are perfectly plausible timelines where in two or three decades, Doctor Lord Doom is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.  Certainly none of Russia, Ukraine, or Belarus were making any attempt to rebuild here.  Almost independent of what Latveria actually does, you will be a step up.

"By contrast, if We rule here unrestrictedly, albeit through a puppet ... well, Our Leadership's attention is finite and full-time supervision  cannot be guaranteed.  Historically, lapses in discipline by Our underlings makes us sadly prone to certain excesses at irregular intervals.  And the mortal world reacts ... quite badly ... to those excesses.

"So this is, We perceive, a novel opportunity for Us.  If you will agree to permit our presence and cooperate in our concealment of that presence, then we can amicably forebear interfering with your designs and allow you to harvest the energies and more worldly goods that you correctly identified in the Exclusion Zone.  Uniquely, Doctor Lord Doom, you have some insight into what you can do with what you would possess here, and some idea of what We can hope to do here while abiding by both letter and spirit of a secret treaty.  We think the profitability for both sides is great enough that this arrangement is clearly preferable to strife.

"We can present concrete proposals for our tenancy in the near future, and you can present your requirements in a similar vein.  This is to be a faithful negotiation, not an exchange of ultimata.  The final terms need not be dictated now.  What we propose is cooperation going forward, based the principles of Latveria accepting Our tenancy here, and aiding us in maintaining the utter secrecy of that presence, and cessation of hostile actions by both sides while full arrangements are formalized.

"You need not agree to even that at this moment.  We will unilaterally halt offensive actions by Our forces while you consider the proposal.  I submit a week's time will be adequate for you to come to a decision, and a similar truce observed by your forces in that time.

"Shall we have a week's truce, Doctor Lord Doom?"

My title will be Independence for Sale 

The Declaration of Independence is in New York City when the Emerald Empress proposes to sell it and allow the owner to control the destiny of America forever.

She must be stopped ! So Spiderman, the Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Green Lantern, Blue Beetle and Batman band together to stop her and her allies Dr Octopus, The Persuader and Bane

For a lot of years, Kingpin has controlled all criminal activity in Las Vegas with a velvet-gloved iron fist. If any kind of major crime went down, Kingpin was at least tangentially aware of it--and was getting a cut.

Over time, Kingpin built himself a mafia-style organization to control and regulate criminal activity. This cabal, with its numerous foot soldiers and even a handful of supers, came to be known as the Card Sharks. Very few tried to cross them. Those who did didn't last long.

Nick Lone was a key figure in the Card Sharks. As Solitaire, he was one of the inner circle of supers that ran the organization under Kingpin's direction. Unknown to anyone, including Kingpin himself, Nick was actually Fisk's illegitimate son.

In time, Solitaire decided to get rid of Kingpin and take over the organization himself. To this end, he hired Sinestro and Green Goblin as muscle. The first few confrontations went well for Solitaire's trio, and they began hiring foot soldiers of their own. They even secured a few plants inside the Card Sharks-- members of the organization who became convinced the change in leadership was necessary. All-out war was on the horizon.

Fisk called for a summit, which Solitaire surprisingly agreed to. At the first meeting in Vic's Lounge, Solitaire revealed his true identity and told Kingpin that he was taking over the 'family business'. Kingpin tried to kill Solitaire then and there but failed. Solitaire escaped and began planning to escalate the war.

Vic realized the seriousness of the situation--dozens could be killed in the upcoming conflict, including innocent civilians--and concluded that something had to be done. Agonizing over the decision, he finally called Marc Spector and told  him what he knew. Moon Knight immediately relocated to Las Vegas and started calling in heroes to help him.

Moon Knight's first call was to Gwen Stacy. He knew that she and Green Goblin had long-unresolved issues between them, and knew that he could count on her support. She jumped at the chance and caught the first plane from New York to Vegas.

Moon Knight had worked with Cloak and Dagger to help clean up a drug problem in their chosen neighborhood. They had told him to call them if he ever needed their help. He called in that marker, and the two young heroes were in Las Vegas the next evening.

Kamala Khan just happened to be in Las Vegas on vacation with her family. When she saw a young woman being robbed, Kamala jumped into action as Ms. Marvel and gave the mugger a proper thrashing. Moon Knight heard about this incident and contacted her to ask for her help. She agreed.

With she and Moon Knight having been members of The Avengers, Kamala suggested but they should call their little group the Las Vegas Avengers. Cloak and Dagger thought that sounded way too formal, and weren't really interested in being Avengers at this point anyway. For his part, Moon Knight wasn't convinced the group needed a name at all.

Spider-Gwen came up with the compromise: A small, informally organized group it would be known as the Sin City Avengers (no relation). The name stuck.

Can Moon Knight and his little squad stop full-on gang war from tearing the city of Las Vegas apart? Find out in the upcoming miniseries Sin City Avengers!

I Remember... (Conclusion)

Chapter Six

As the energy flew, pulling free from each of the men, their screams cut through the Texas air.  This mighty power, one that they had not even remembered they had, was being ripped from their bodies and heading toward the awaiting frame of Lord Helspont.

“This is intolerable,” Alfred said.

“Why do I get stuck with cases like this?” said Firearm, his chains slipping from his body.

“We only have one chance,” said Van Helsing.  “When this energy ends, we have to rush him. Hopefully, he will be unsteady and we can get those gloves off him.”

“You need another plan,” said Blackhawk.  “Look.”

The Spectre power was heading into Lord Helspont, but his face told the story.  There was something wrong.

“What is going on?” Helspont said, turning,”Querl?”

Facing Brainiac 5, Lord Helspont saw the bright white teeth shining through the green skin. He knew his mistake immediately.  Trust.

The power was going straight through Helspont and forming around Brainiac 5.  

“Yes!” the former Legionnaire said , the power beyond his calculations pulsing through his muscles.  “It is mine!”

With a thrust gesture, Lord Helspont felt the remaining energy inside his chest explode outward, tearing him in two.  The lifeless lump of pieces that was Lord Helspont dropped to the ground at the feet of the cackling Brainiac 5.

“Now!” screamed Van Helsing as the four men leapt at Brainiac 5, a long green cloak manifesting itself around him, his skin quickly changing to a pale shade.  Brainiac 5 shrugged and the four men flew from his body.

“Baron,” said Brainiac 5, turning his attention to the vampire.  “Your assistance was so important. Thank you.”

A bolt of energy flew from Brainiac 5 and went cutting through Baron Blood and the other vampires in the room, turning them to dust.  The eyes of Brainiac 5 bulged in madness as he turned on everyone that had helped him. He did not care. He had the power.

“I am the Spectre!” he shouted, maniacally.

Without warning, he doubled over, grasping his gut.  The scream was filled with anguish. “No!” he said, as if he were fighting from within. 

“What is going on?” asked Firearm.

As he asked, the group spotted Jim Corrigan behind Brainiac 5, his eyes clouded over, trying to pull the power of the Spectre home.

“Help me,” yelled Corrigan, and the four men lunged back at the new Spectre, grabbing hold of what they could.  They had no idea what they could do in the presence of such power, but they were determined to do anything they could.  

With the hands of the four on Brainiac 5, and a seemingly strengthening Jim Corrigan holding on tightly, the energy coursed back through the “vessels” and headed back from where it came.

“You should have killed me when you had a chance,” said Corrigan, whispering in his ear.  

The green cape withered away and began to reform around his last full host.  His skin turned white as Brainiac 5’s skin returned to the green. A final blast of green energy sent everyone flying.

Van Helsing looked up and the Spectre levitated slightly off the ground, Brainiac 5 laying on the ground before him.   He reached down and grabbed Brainiac 5 by the throat, pulling him up to his face. They could not hear what Spectre said to him, but, after a second, he turned toward the last remaining men.  A simple nod of the head was all the Spectre did and… he and Brainiac 5 were gone.

Van Helsing, Alfred, Alec Swan and Blackhawk looked around the Alamo, which was barely standing.

“What now?” said Blackhawk.  

There was a long pause.  Finally…

“I guess all we can do is remember…” said Van Helsing.