Jump to content
Cancer

While sheltering in place....

Recommended Posts

... or whatever it's being called, this is a collaborative list of things people are doing while under orders to stay at home ... things they either wouldn't have done at all, or doing now because... you've got time on your hands.

 

This evening, I baked chocolate chip banana nut bread.  And the oven timer just went off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on a Traveller game. I've been working on it in fits and starts for a couple of years now, but now that my Champions game is on hiatus, I'm spending all my game-prep time working on Traveller so I can eventually run it. I don't know when that'll happen. My gaming group is pretty much a dedicated Champions group. But I guess we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  The strangest thing about all this for me is that due to long time health issues,  I really don’t get out of the house more than once a week to ten days at the best of times. Also I have to be cautious about anyone around me who might have a cold or flu. 
  Everyone all around me is moaning and wailing about having to keep themselves occupied for two whole weeks straight, and “Oh no, it might be up to another month or so!”  WOOSIES!!!!    Try it for the last five years!!!!  Complaining millennial maggots!!!!

  Trust me, it could be sooooooo much worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Millennial bashing: a most odd social phenomenon.


     Millennial: (noun)  A word used by grumpy old farts like me meaning “Get off my lawn you damn kids and stop playing that loud crappy music of yours!”

    Actually I just liked the alliteration of “millennial maggots”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny part is, most old farts don't even know what a Millennial is.  Millennials are pushing forty now.  "Kids" are Gen Z, graduating college under crushing student loan debt just in time for a global pandemic and recession.  Generation Z has only known a nation at war.

 

At my last job the sales VP, a Boomer, liked to complain about Millennials in department head meetings, blissfully unaware of how much he was offending two of the department heads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Speaking for Old Farts, we throw around the word “millennial” the way forfarters (yes, I spelled that correctly.) used the word “hippie” or theirs used “commie”.  It’s just a convenient derogatory term for someone younger with ideas and opinions we don’t really understand, but don’t like.

  Later generations will decide whether or not those opinions were actually good or bad.  All we as OF’s know is that they challenge the order of what is and that said youth seem full of both useless entitlement and derision of things we enjoy and hold dear.

   Both are symptoms of being young and have been remarked upon in ancient Roman writings. Nothing ever really changes but the players. The game goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Old Man said:

The funny part is, most old farts don't even know what a Millennial is.  Millennials are pushing forty now.  "Kids" are Gen Z, graduating college under crushing student loan debt just in time for a global pandemic and recession.  Generation Z has only known a nation at war.

 

At my last job the sales VP, a Boomer, liked to complain about Millennials in department head meetings, blissfully unaware of how much he was offending two of the department heads.

I have two nieces and a nephew who are younger than Gen Z (none have reached twenty yet), and I am deeply sorrowful for what my generation is leaving them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sinanju said:

Working on a Traveller game. I've been working on it in fits and starts for a couple of years now, but now that my Champions game is on hiatus, I'm spending all my game-prep time working on Traveller so I can eventually run it. I don't know when that'll happen. My gaming group is pretty much a dedicated Champions group. But I guess we'll see.

 

 

Consider running it on HERO legs; Traveller HERO is a 5e product that formalized what a lot of us had been doing for some time. 

 

Take your training charts and your mustering out charts and put them in HERO terms.   It might make it taste better to your Champions group. 

 

 

9 hours ago, Badger said:

I still have to go to work.  Probably more now.  :(

 

 

Ditto.  But now I'm all by myself at work until we see if I've got symptoms. 

 

The real kick in the head is that we e been running volunteer-only for three weeks; I was the guy tasked with rearranging all the work such that only one person from any department (all reduced to four or five head each, by volunteerism) had to communicate with anyone outside the department--and never more than 2: one from before and one from after their stage, etc, etc, etc. 

 

Three damned days working out the logistics of that so that we would still remain productive but protected-- and it only took one frigging idiot to screw it all up (and after that, volunteerism is way, way down). 

 

For the record, his job for the duration was to disinfect the equipment on a rotation, every hour, while the emptied the area so he could work safely.  He took it upon himself to just start lingering and talking and visiting with everyone when he got "bored." 

 

Idiots. 

 

9 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I have two nieces and a nephew who are younger than Gen Z (none have reached twenty yet), 

 

 

Hell, I got two kids younger than Gen Z, and according to Old Man, I'm a Boomer even though I'm the child of boomers. 

 

Who knew? 

 

Honestly, naming generations didn't really do anything but make it easier to start hating each other for that, too, and the whole thing is just damned stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually find myself a bit more distracted than time freed. Housemates are dealing with 'furloughs' (Work without pay) and choosing to things like Spring CLeaning and job interview onlines...so I feel like I am underfoot and can't really get going on some of my own projects which are tertiary. I don't be grudge, but it is definitely different from what i hear of others experiences 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hermit said:

I actually find myself a bit more distracted than time freed. Housemates are dealing with 'furloughs' (Work without pay) and choosing to things like Spring CLeaning and job interview onlines...so I feel like I am underfoot and can't really get going on some of my own projects which are tertiary. I don't be grudge, but it is definitely different from what i hear of others experiences 

 

No, I'm in the same boat.  I am very lucky to still have my job... but everyone else on the planet seems to have all kinds of free time all of a sudden, whereas I still work ~50 hours/week plus I have to manage the kids on their eternal spring break too.

 

Still, I'm managing to get stuff done around the house.  Put some running boards on the truck and a motor mount on the rowboat. Lots and lots of things around here that need cleaning or fixing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

 

Honestly, naming generations didn't really do anything but make it easier to start hating each other for that, too, and the whole thing is just damned stupid. 

 

Half the reason we have labels is so we can properly identify and then blame people and things.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a fun thing to do, if you live in the US. 

 

Call all your friends and see how many have recieved notice that their health-insurance is going up even if it's the middle of the term. 

 

 

Most of mine are grumbling about it, and I just got my notice this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, death tribble said:

I am going to find a flat fish and breed it to giant size. Then I will carve out a living space in it and hide there.

I will be sheltering in plaice........

 

But, how does the fish feel about this?  I think we have a tragic villain arc coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, death tribble said:

I am going to find a flat fish and breed it to giant size. Then I will carve out a living space in it and hide there.

I will be sheltering in plaice........

 

I'm going to buy a reverberatory furnace, and then I will be smelt(er)ing in place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Starlord said:

 

Half the reason we have labels is so we can properly identify and then blame people and things.  :)

 

Yeah, like what would the racists do without labels?  Man's gotta have a hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

[Re: My working on a Traveller game]

 

Consider running it on HERO legs; Traveller HERO is a 5e product that formalized what a lot of us had been doing for some time. 

 

Take your training charts and your mustering out charts and put them in HERO terms.   It might make it taste better to your Champions group. 

 

 

Nope. Not gonna happen. I considered that. I considered running GURPS Traveller. In both cases, it's too much work for too little return. When/if I run my Traveller game, it's gonna be straight-up Traveller (Mongoose 2nd Edition flavor). If my Champions group don't want to try it, I'll find another group somewhere for it. (Maybe online, at this point....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sinanju said:

 

Nope. Not gonna happen. I considered that. I considered running GURPS Traveller. In both cases, it's too much work for too little return. When/if I run my Traveller game, it's gonna be straight-up Traveller (Mongoose 2nd Edition flavor). If my Champions group don't want to try it, I'll find another group somewhere for it. (Maybe online, at this point....)

 

I usually use MT/CT when I run Traveller, though I do hit some of the GURPS Traveller books for supplementary material. I have run a Star Hero/Traveller hybrid on a few occasions, though. Character construction and player scale combat was usually handled in Hero, ship combat used CT Book 5. Most mundane equipment from Traveller can be plugged into Hero without converting (there's really no need to stat out a communicator, for example).

 

I generally liked the Mongoose Traveller line, but I ran out of money somewhere near the end of their 1e line, and haven't bought into the 2e line at all. And I always thought that T5 was really more Marc Miller's retirement fund than a playable game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Classic, but while I still have a bunch of classic Traveller books and a bunch of supplements and JTAS supplements, I only have my original Book 3. The first two basic books have gotten lost in the last 40 years and umpteen moves. Funny how that happens.

 

I *have* the Hero Traveller books, but they don't appeal to me. I'd run GURPS Traveller if my gaming crew were up for it, but they don't like GURPS. Plus, with either one I'd end up doing a lot building/conversions of weapons and equipment.

 

So I'm going to go with Mongoose 2nd Edition Traveller. I have the Core Rules, Companion, High Guard, and Central Supply Catalog. That's pretty much everything I need all in one ruleset. Plus, if I'm gonna play a game from my personal Golden Age of Gaming, I want to use essentially the same game. So there I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Starlord said:

 

I'm going to buy a reverberatory furnace, and then I will be smelt(er)ing in place. 

 

You know, I was trying to ignore the puns.

 

That is why we cant have nice things around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...