While sheltering in place....

Cancer

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Yeah, like what would the racists do without labels?  Man's gotta have a hobby.

Speaking of (sort of), didn't some places during the bubonic plague blame the Jews.  (ok probably, being medieval times, everything bad was blamed on them, but anyway)

Since I'm typically on the road for work 90 to a 100% of the time, this has been kind of nice. And since when I am home I have to work from home, I already have the whole work from home schtick nailed down. But the kicker is that most of my customers are hospitals, and as you may have heard, they're kind of busy with other stuff, which means they don't want to see my ugly mug. So, I've been using this time to get my 3D printer dialed in to perfection, and working on building custom 3D models that I can then print. I might consider doing it as a side hustle, but I don't really need to, so we'll see. And as you can see, I'm reading the boards more. :) Oh, and since my son is home from college, we've been playing Divinity: Original Sin 2.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Speaking of (sort of), didn't some places during the bubonic plague blame the Jews.  (ok probably, being medieval times, everything bad was blamed on them, but anyway)

To everyone who’s still responding to the whole use of the word “millennial” thing.  I’ve already said once that I only picked that word because it started with the same letter as the word maggot.  Personally I thought I might take some heat over the maggot part, but once again the internet has proved that context of a thing means nothing.

So raise the banner high and let’s bitch and moan over the overuse of a dopey word instead of just admitting that different generations have had the same opinions about each other since the dawn of time and either discuss that and whether or not it could ever be solved or here’s an idea....we could maybe just get back to the original topic?

For the most part, I'm doing many of the same things I was doing a month ago. Lesson plans, grading papers, writing quizzes, that kind of thing. I'm just doing it from a laptop in my kitchen now. Good news is problems with student discipline have gone way down.

I've also begun rereading Champions Now. Ron's writing style takes some getting used to. It seems sometimes that he is morally opposed to the shortest distance between two points, but he's definitely thorough in what he talks about. Now that I've been through it once and understand how it's laid out, even though I personally find it a little counter-intuitive, I'm picking up a lot more.

I managed to talk the dentist into seeing me next week; I think I bruised a tooth, but can't rule out something more serious. And they won't be doing ordinary checkups (I was overdue in February and the insane Winter Quarter didn't help at all) until second half of May.

4 hours ago, Tjack said:

To everyone who’s still responding to the whole use of the word “millennial” thing.  I’ve already said once that I only picked that word because it started with the same letter as the word maggot.  Personally I thought I might take some heat over the maggot part, but once again the internet has proved that context of a thing means nothing.

So raise the banner high and let’s bitch and moan over the overuse of a dopey word instead of just admitting that different generations have had the same opinions about each other since the dawn of time and either discuss that and whether or not it could ever be solved or here’s an idea....we could maybe just get back to the original topic?

well, I wasn't responding to that, I just went from blaming people in general to what about when.

4 hours ago, RPMiller said:

So, I've been using this time to get my 3D printer dialed in to perfection, and working on building custom 3D models that I can then print. I might consider doing it as a side hustle, but I don't really need to, so we'll see.

Thingiverse for the win!

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Far too lazy for that. 

LOL And I'm not?!? Are you accusing me of being industrious? How dare you sir! ;)

But in all honesty, I've only produced two digital-to-print models to date, and both weren't horrible, but nothing I would want anyone to actually use. Once I have the printer dialed in perfectly, which is going to be quite soon, I'll be getting back to creating some models and seeing if I can actually turn them into a decent miniature.

Working on a Band-in-a-Box adaptation of the Jacques Brel classic "The Bulls". Problem is the sheet music I have calls for a tango and I will need to build that style myself because the sty;e they have points to MIDI instruments instead of the better-sounding RealTracks. I am also finding that sheet music with no bar labels is devilish to code by the bar.

My voice is also not very good these days.

The annoying thing is that I bought this songbook to find chords to one of my favorite Brel songs, "The Middle Class". It's not in there. So I'll have to find a fake sheet in English (I have one in French) if I am going to get anything close to right.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:51 PM, Badger said:

I still have to go to work.  Probably more now.  :(

I'm on the "essential services" list, and there is no way I have time to pull down my workspace and transport it home.  I also rely too much on paper to make that work.

I and several colleagues are trying not to get swelled heads.  It helps to note that pet food vendors, landfills and toxic waste disposal, and laundromats are all listed before we are :)

On 3/26/2020 at 8:28 PM, Tjack said:

To everyone who’s still responding to the whole use of the word “millennial” thing...

....we could maybe just get back to the original topic?

Or we could behave like we are on the internet :)

3 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I'm on the "essential services" list, and there is no way I have time to pull down my workspace and transport it home.  I also rely too much on paper to make that work.

I and several colleagues are trying not to get swelled heads.  It helps to note that pet food vendors, landfills and toxic waste disposal, and laundromats are all listed before we are :)

Or we could behave like we are on the internet :)

At least this guy actually did something.   Take the millennial in the song, drop him back a generation and he’d be wearing a flannel shirt drinking coffee and talking about his band....even though he can’t play his guitar worth a damn.

Go back another generation and replace the flannel and coffee with tie-dye and a joint and you get the same deal.

The one before that were just too busy getting shot at to be useless. When you get to the twenties and “the lost generation” you’re back in business.

The world doesn’t change, it just gets different.

I just proof-read this and I’m not sure if this all makes me hopeful or despondent.   Oh, well.  I’ll let you all  think and decide for yourselves how you feel about it all.   That’s how I’m not going to be like the internet.

Not much changes here since I moved in last year. Stick to myself,  go out only to shop or walk a trail. (I am in a high risk group, so I go to the store masked and gloved, with eye shields. I'd go MOPP3, but that would scare people)  The one disappointing thing is that I am finding I am cleaning the house far more often than I am fulfilling paid work art assignment. I am procrastinating far more. Very disappointing. For some reason just not "feeling" the energy to work, but My house is spotless, and and my books are all re-arraigned properly.  I have also got a 3D printer and am noodling in Z-brush with the intent of making figurines, and miniatures at some point soon.

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I have also got a 3D printer and am noodling in Z-brush with the intent of making figurines, and miniatures at some point soon.

OH? I'm doing similar. Which 3D printer did you end up getting? I've had an Ender 3 for quite some time, but only recently have gotten serious about dialing it in and using it to its fullest.

Dunno about Scott but I've had a Monoprice Maker Select v2 for a little over a year now.  It is... barely able to print minature-quality levels of detail in PLA.  (Really fine detail would have necessitated a resin printer but I am also printing plastic brackets, logos, and mechanical curiosities.)  It took me a really long time to level the bed and work out the settings for miniature printing, and I still struggle with things like supports and the fact that it takes seven hours to print one miniature.

36 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Dunno about Scott but I've had a Monoprice Maker Select v2 for a little over a year now.  It is... barely able to print minature-quality levels of detail in PLA.  (Really fine detail would have necessitated a resin printer but I am also printing plastic brackets, logos, and mechanical curiosities.)  It took me a really long time to level the bed and work out the settings for miniature printing, and I still struggle with things like supports and the fact that it takes seven hours to print one miniature.

Ouch! Yeah, my Ender has been really awesome from day one. It has only been lately as I've been getting into the super-fine details that I'm struggling. I guess I got really lucky because I was able to tram the bed as soon as I finished building it, and only retram maybe after a couple weeks or after it prints a large print with a lot of XY axis movement. It's at the point that I'm able to do print-in-place moveable objects and have them actually work. And I'm finally getting the thin walls/details dialed in. Interestingly, a lot of the information I find online seems to be so narrowly focused. It tends to be "level your bed" and "set your temps properly" and "you need to buy this upgrade," instead of some of the more important aspects like setting you PID tuning properly, making sure that your slicer settings are set properly across all the factors (and even using the "right" slicer). I found that when I switched from Cura to Prusa, and moved all my settings over, Prusa immediately printed a smoother, defect free print. Oh, and upgrading the main board should just be a standard requirement for everyone. Having the correct drivers has made a HUGE difference. Not only is the machine quieter, but the axis movement is smooth as butter.

Regarding your printing time, what resolution and speed are you printing at?!? Seven hours for a single mini, is incredibly long. I can print a decent looking mini at .2mm in about 2 hours, and .12mm in about 3 1/2 hours. Of course, the mini details and the like will affect those numbers as I make adjustments.

For supports, nothing beats tree supports or manual supports out of meshmixer.

Anyway, I'm totally getting off track of the point of the thread.

WOWZERS!! That's an insane level of detail. Even at .2mm I get enough detail for a face. At .12mm it nearly matches the model, and I typically print at around 50mm/s. I completely get why you are frustrated with the time it takes to print one model. Honestly, I would highly recommend Prusa over Cura. I was honestly shocked when I made the switch how much better the quality was and as I said, I made sure to port over all the settings (as best as I could) from Cura so that I could compare apples to apples. And Meshmixer is a great tool to have, but I don't use it that much. I typically will use it to fix a model, cut it up to better print, or add in supports if the tree supports aren't cutting it. Speaking of which, I found that you can do two things to really improve a print: turn the "detail side" (usually the front) to face the fan, assuming you only have a fan blowing on one side, and tilt the model back by 30 to 45 degrees. This will move the supports to the back side, and with the tree supports, means they won't have to wrap around the mini as much.

1 hour ago, RPMiller said:

OH? I'm doing similar. Which 3D printer did you end up getting? I've had an Ender 3 for quite some time, but only recently have gotten serious about dialing it in and using it to its fullest.

Ender 3 pro as well. I found this Profile prints really good mi miniatures, but the print times are around 10-11 hours though for a 28mm mini: