Top Secret RPG

pbemguy

Sort of.

We will build agents of 50 points of characteristics and skills, +50 points of spy gadgets and weapons, with 50 points of disads, in Hero 3, 4, 5, or 6.

We use the Hero rules but play through this module:

Operation,_Rapidstrike!.jpg

I will GM. It will be entirely by email (that's my shtick). I will mostly follow the module but room must be left for artistic license!

Respond here if you might be interested. PM me instead if you're shy. Or just post ideas to jazz this experiment up!

Edited by pbemguy
UPDATED INFO

The game takes place circa 1980. We can start as soon as I have at least three players.

Even 3e would be okay, especially if you're using the 1988 big book.

When I say editions 3e-6e, I mean all of them (as opposed to choosing one for the game). I'll convert on my end so it all works. You just need to make a sheet in one of the editions.

53 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

It's not that we're not listening.

We're just trying to figure out if there's a chance in Hell of fitting it in.   :(

I know. I just throw game ideas out here and there. I actually have a really great bunch of players in my PBEM.

I think this would be fun because it's a short adventure and the scenario has a lot of potential.

It will probably only last 3 weeks or so, about an email a day.

I've seen some variations, but this is how mine go:

You enter the bank and see a masked gunman holding an old man hostage (see attached pic).  The gunman sees you, and says

GUNMAN: "Get on the floor or Orville Redenbacher dies."

(The voice comes through a vocoder, overblown, sounding demonic.)

It's all playing out like your dream. The gunman seems quite surprised that you're here, since no alarms have sounded and the robbery has just begun.

There are about a dozen people on the floor: nine are patrons of the bank, but there is also one female security guard lying face down. She doesn't have her gun. 

Phase 12

The gunman is 6" away, standing at the teller counter--the old man is beside him, but not being held, though the gun is pointed at him. There is a male teller on the other side of the desk, hands up, looking terrified.

And what do you do?

(Then you declare your action, I do all the rolls, say what happened. But sometimes we switch to an online dice roller and slow things down a bit to get into the nitty-gritty.)

(We usually post dialog in screenplay format: name of character and then statement. We tried a number of ways but the screenplay format keeps everything running the smoothest.)

villain.jpg

Very short term. Truth be told, I'm simultaneously trying to attract people to the format (PBEM) for my Superhero campaign.

But the Top Secret game will be about 3 weeks, I imagine. I do already have one player interested, and he has submitted a character sheet.

Actually, I'll ask if I can post it here, for insipration!

2 hours ago, Brian Stanfield said:

What kind of characters are you looking for? Super-spies, mercenaries, private eyes? I know nothing about Top Secret so I can't get a feel for what's expected. 

Looking for James Bond types, but a merc would work for this, or a Special Forces soldier.

The setting for this game is 1981. For Your Eyes Only is the perfect reference if you're unsure. Plus Carole Bouquet!

I'm going to make it 50 points of characteristics/skills, 50 points of guns & gadgets, and 50 points of disadvantages, having had a back-and-forth with the first player.

15 hours ago, pbemguy said:

Looking for James Bond types, but a merc would work for this, or a Special Forces soldier.

The setting for this game is 1981. For Your Eyes Only is the perfect reference if you're unsure. Plus Carole Bouquet!

I'm going to make it 50 points of characteristics/skills, 50 points of guns & gadgets, and 50 points of disadvantages, having had a back-and-forth with the first player.

It seems to me that the edition used will make a difference on the points expended. I'm a full-blown 6e guy, but I get the feeling you're a 4e fan, correct? Is it better to use those rules?

5 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

It seems to me that the edition used will make a difference on the points expended. I'm a full-blown 6e guy, but I get the feeling you're a 4e fan, correct? Is it better to use those rules?

I *am* indeed a 4e fan, but my PBEM runs in 5e. Either one of those I am extremely comfortable with. Still, I have played 6e campaigns, and I have the books.

EQUIPMENT

Here is a first draft of equipment sent to me by Henry's player:

Free - Backpack (or do I seriously have to say Extra Limb, Focus, only for carrying extra things on my back)

Free - Mechanics tools (portable set includes omni-wrench, omni-screwdriver, pliers/wire cutters, strong tape, spool of wire, etc.)

Free w/Climbing skill? - 30 meters nylon rope

9 - Collapsible trenching tool, made from a strong alloy (1d6 HKA [2d6 w/Str]; like a hand axe/hatchet but can't be thrown, but can be used for digging, e.g. burying scuba gear [I'm not going to get too crunchy figuring out the specs of Tunnelling, extra time, focused--some Hero System books went nuts with that, the Star Hero equipment list includes a towel, a f'ing towel, and defines it as a Transformation attack, wet object to dry object] but basically it's a spade])

1 - Camera & sound recorder watch (Eidetic Memory, Focused, only for up to 20 still images and 30 min of recording)

8 - DuraReady military grade flashlight (2d6N [7d6N w/Str]; like a stick, plus 3 hex cone Change Environment, light, batteries last 5 hours)

2 - 4 sodium magnesium flares (2" radius Change Environment, light and can start fires, 4 charges, 5 minutes each)

19 - M-16 assault rifle (+1 OCV, +1 range mod, 2d6 RKA, +1 Stun mult, 5 rnd Autofire, 30 rnds)

4 - Extra clip (30 rnds [is that a fair cost, I just guestimated])

7 - 9 mm Browning Hi-Power (1d6+1 RKA, 20 rnds)

Clothing: Combat boots, camo pants, taupe t-shirt

Free Scuba gear, I hope?  Free waterproof container to haul all the gear and weapons, with built-in buoyancy regulator?

GM note: I told him that the flashlight is free, the flares are free, the scuba gear is free, the spade is free (the collapsible trenching tool), but that he has to pay for the wrist cam because it is 1981 and that it definitely qualifies as spy equipment. So he still has 19 points to spend!

3 hours ago, pbemguy said:

EQUIPMENT

Here is a first draft of equipment sent to me by Henry's player:

{snip}

9 - Collapsible trenching tool, made from a strong alloy (1d6 HKA [2d6 w/Str]; like a hand axe/hatchet but can't be thrown

{SNIP}

I don't know if it makes a difference to Henry's player or not, but the Russian version is designed to be thrown.

You an stick it a couple of inches deep in an oak tree from twelve feet away.

17 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I don't know if it makes a difference to Henry's player or not, but the Russian version is designed to be thrown.

You an stick it a couple of inches deep in an oak tree from twelve feet away.

That I'd expect you to pay points for, LOL.

Really?

I'd call it 1/2d6 Killing, No STR Bonus, range based on STR, maximum effective range equal to 1/4 Throw Range.  Sure, I might charge them points for it, but if I was already giving them a full D6 Killing plus STR bonus, I don't see this as a game-breaker.

Though I will also be the first to state "your game; your rules," and not actually question any further.

;)