Ragitsu

Robinson Crusoe Quarantine

As a boy, one of the bedside tales I was most smitten with was Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. To this day, I remember finding the scenes where Robinson took stock of his provisions to be engaging for some reason; maybe it was due to the very hands-on, practical nature of his survival that he could quantify and control. In any case, later on down the line, I eventually got into pencil-and-paper roleplaying and found an outlet where I could satisfy my broader imagination. An enjoyment kin to that niche childhood fascination soon made itself apparent: inventory management. Some DMs/GMs may choose to gloss over this - finding it unbearably fiddly and/or counterproductive to the establishment of proper atmosphere -  but I like to encourage thorough consideration of resources whenever I'm the man behind the screen. It helps that I tend to run games where the characters are exclusively itinerant and most likely to be world-walkers.

Because we are presently faced with (varying degrees of) scarcity and uncertainty, I have taken stock of supplies on-hand as a way of occupying myself between the stretches of silence. What I want to know is how you are handling this rudely abrupt period of rationing. Hopefully, we should be able to stretch what we have. Nevertheless, specific foodstuffs/toiletries may now be luxuries that we are loathe to consume so readily.

My own situation is more conducive than many people's to managing this situation. I live by myself with no dependents, and am not very sociable. There's very little in the way of material goods that I either need or want, and I had a sufficient stock of basic consumables before this started. I rarely eat at restaurants, or go to movie theaters or other entertainments. As long as I can still buy most groceries and refill my blood-pressure prescription, I feel no deprivation.

That said, the financial impact of prolonged interruption of my work would be significant if it happens, and may diminish my expenditures even on basics. So I'm aggressively trying to diversify my income stream, although I'm rather out of practice at it. Beyond that there's nothing I can do, and I try to avoid worrying about things I have no power over. As Will Rogers put it, "Worry is like paying interest on a debt you may never owe." ;)

I am in the happy position if having a job that is not going to vanish.  A guaranteed income makes everything else much easier.

That job is, unfortunately, also pretty much doable from home, so much of my time will be in the study, working.

If I dig out time it will be playing Red Dead Redemption, Destiny, virtual golf etc on the Xbox.

My quarantine plan is to put together a Skelton of a game powered by HERO, to send to Jason.  (You will all appreciate that this is a fever dream, unlikely to ever happen...)

Doc

The good things about being retired and single:  less financial worry (not none...inflation is a huge threat), shopping for 1 is MUCH less stressful than for 4+, and I'm fairly used to being by myself.

The bad thing is...this is qualitatively different.  Being by oneself is not the same as being alone.  Right now it feels the latter.

What I need to force myself to do, is get outside and do the yard work that needs to be done, and do things *other than* fixate on covid.  

Inventory is never a problem for me.  I grew up farming.  My pantry is of Mormon proportions (no; I'm not Mormon, but the idea of having several months worth of supplies on hand is sound, and I think draws from a time when we all farmed, and exercised more self-reliance and preparedness. 

No; in not a "prepper," whatever the heck that is supposed to be insulting (thanks, youtube).   I have just never understood spending four bucks on a pound of flour when I can spend eleven and get twenty-five.   Same as with everything else: I've got plenty. 

We're doing okay with my "cushy government job".  My summer job was canceled last week, which was inconvenient but not terribly surprising. I'm actually going to have a summer off for the first time in as long as I can remember.

In terms of supplies, we're doing pretty well. We've got staples and canned goods in reasonable amounts. The biggest challenge for us is that between the four of us, we go through at least a gallon of milk a day.

Milk is a problem here too what with both boys in teenage voracious mode.  If it weren't for that we could probably keep market trips down to every other week rather than the every three days it has been. 

The other problem is that the virus has exacerbated my wife's hoarding behavior in a bad way.  She always used to buy more perishables than we could possibly eat, but that's at least tripled in the past three weeks.  The fridge and freezer are jammed to the point of unusability.  And I'm curious to see whether we can get through these 108 rolls of toilet paper before 2021.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Milk is a problem here too what with both boys in teenage voracious mode.  If it weren't for that we could probably keep market trips down to every other week rather than the every three days it has been. 

Do what Granny used to do:

Dry milk.  People swear they don't like it, but honestly, I've never been able to tell the difference between dry milk and skim (not that I'm a huge fan of skim, mind you).

One gallon of whole milk split four ways into four gallons of dry milk (the milk fat seems to be the "missing ingredient" that makes people go "eeewww!")  Barring that, a sliver of unsalted butter, melted and added to straight-up dry milk to replace the milk fats.

Either one seems to work fine.

Single, medically retired, and have "prepper instincts" (that us3ed to be called survivalism) I have a lot of dry food, and frozen meat. though I may have to go shopping on Tuesday for some "Variety foods". because of medical issues I cannot eat a lot of vegetables, so I sort of avoid them. I bought TP when it was on Sale and have enough for about 34 months still.  Honestly there has been little to no change to my living situation before or after, as I live alone, but within a 5 minute walk from my mom who i check up on. Otherwise I stay at home and interact with people over the internet or  on texting or phone calls. My sleep schedule has been getting weird, so I have been forcing myself to bed early so I get up early.  Still able to make my clinic appointments so far, but the protocols lengthen my trip a little bit. (Masks and gloves each way)

For me things have not been much of an impact.

We have to have at least one person in the office and the rest are working from home.  I am the only one that is single and lives alone so I still go into work Monday thru Friday.  They were going to rotate but that kind of defeats the purpose of being isolated if they came in, but we still need a person physically in the office so everything can actually be accessed. 

So I essentially spend my day in a mostly empty office (one person within each specialty) with minimum contact with both the rest of our team and our customers both here and overseas.  Of course they are trying to maintain full operations while still maintaining minimal contact for their people as well.  

All in all, a bit of a coordination adventure. 

But for me at home, all that has changed is I don't actually see my friends and haven't had any social life.  I did finally break down and try Door Dash. 

2 minutes ago, Spence said:

But for me at home, all that has changed is I don't actually see my friends and haven't had any social life.  I did finally break down and try Door Dash. 

I occasionally splurge, when a check comes in and order Uber Eats and order from some local restaurants, just to continue to give them my business, but otherwise, saving up for a replacement Gaming and 3D work PC.

On 4/4/2020 at 5:16 AM, Duke Bushido said:

No; in not a "prepper," whatever the heck that is supposed to be insulting (thanks, youtube).   I have just never understood spending four bucks on a pound of flour when I can spend eleven and get twenty-five.   Same as with everything else: I've got plenty. 

Same here. There's always enough butter, salt, sugar, kidney beans, etc, kicking around somewhere in my house. Plus, outside of window shopping or casual perusal of a much desired luxury (that I often end up purchasing online), I don't exactly relish going to the supermarket.

I'm currently in near complete social distancing mode.

In the last few days my father (last older relative) passed away, so I don't have to visit him any more. (Still working on his funeral, but it will be minimalist because of social distancing rules, and over with quickly). Please don't express sympathy - it's been done.

Work shut down last Saturday. I'm on long service leave for the moment.

I live by myself.

At the moment, all I have to do is go shopping every now and then. This week, that will be Wednesday (payday). Unfortunately, my father's funeral is on Thursday, so I have to go out for that, and part of my shopping on Wednesday will involve whiskey and junk food to help me deal with it. I'll probably have to do another shop on Saturday to compensate.

From then on, my only exposure to the Real World(tm) and to potential vectors of infection will be my occasional shopping trips.

I'm in pretty extreme social isolation mode. So how am I coping? Well, obviously there have been factors holding me back from complete isolation until now. I've been quite annoyed by all the things involved in that, and wishing that they weren't happening. So to a large extent I am getting what I wished for.

I've been using social media to hang around with my close RW(tm) friends. Our favourite pub is shut, so we, and the best of our bar staff(!), are hanging out in a Facebook group, where we are all taking turns going mad. My current madness involves listening to music and posting links to where my friends can listen to it too. (I've actually stopped doing that, because it's a bit like me appointing myself DJ).

Aside from that, I am trying to crunch a set of Hero/Champions rules into a short enough subset to present it in what amounts to a picture book.

I'll get some online RPG gaming happening at some point. I'm catching up on a lot of TV viewing. I've got a massive stockpile of books.

And, of course, I'm drinking too much. Oops. I'll tone that down once things settle down a little. I've already given up smoking - I know what to do.

9 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Dry milk.  People swear they don't like it, but honestly, I've never been able to tell the difference between dry milk and skim (not that I'm a huge fan of skim, mind you).

One gallon of whole milk split four ways into four gallons of dry milk (the milk fat seems to be the "missing ingredient" that makes people go "eeewww!")  Barring that, a sliver of unsalted butter, melted and added to straight-up dry milk to replace the milk fats.

TBT, I have only ever consumed reconstituted dry milk either by itself or as a (required) supplement to cereal. Using it as part of a recipe where a multitude of other ingredients can help to mask its flavor may be worth considering...

Honestly toilet tissue is the only thing I was worried about (I live in a small university city surrounded by farmland, food isn't hard to come by). And that largely solved itself when I bought a 12-pack of mega rolls last week—that should last me until May. The only things I've shopped for and come up wanting have been Welch's grape juice (since obtained) and Clorox wipes (still waiting). And rationing the latter would be very difficult to tell from my usual "eh, I'll clean the kitchen in a couple days" procrastination.

I'm fortunate that my job is one I can do from home, my boss ordered everyone who could to do so and closed my office, and for now my company's ongoing contracts don't seem to be affected. IIRC, the general economic implosion of 2008 took most of a year to work its way around to my industry, so things might get dicey around the holidays or early next year, but I'm hoping school closures now will mean lots of demand for product next year and a continuing supply of work.

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

This is a good suggestion and I really appreciate it.  But there was a time in my life when I had to drink powdered milk and I can't go back to that.  Not unless things get far, far worse.

5 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

TBT, I have only ever consumed reconstituted dry milk either by itself or as a (required) supplement to cereal. Using it as part of a recipe where a multitude of other ingredients can help to mask its flavor may be worth considering...

Add about a teaspoon of butter to replace the milk fat and it works fine. 

On 4/5/2020 at 4:48 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Single, medically retired, and have "prepper instincts" (that us3ed to be called survivalism) I have a lot of dry food, and frozen meat. though I may have to go shopping on Tuesday for some "Variety foods". because of medical issues I cannot eat a lot of vegetables, so I sort of avoid them. I bought TP when it was on Sale and have enough for about 34 months still.  Honestly there has been little to no change to my living situation before or after, as I live alone, but within a 5 minute walk from my mom who i check up on. Otherwise I stay at home and interact with people over the internet or  on texting or phone calls. My sleep schedule has been getting weird, so I have been forcing myself to bed early so I get up early.  Still able to make my clinic appointments so far, but the protocols lengthen my trip a little bit. (Masks and gloves each way)

YOu have a 34-month stockpile of toilet paper.  So, you are THAT guy.

"Everybody get your pitchforks, I have an answer to the situation"

On 3/30/2020 at 1:00 AM, Lord Liaden said:

My own situation is more conducive than many people's to managing this situation. I live by myself with no dependents, and am not very sociable. There's very little in the way of material goods that I either need or want, and I had a sufficient stock of basic consumables before this started. I rarely eat at restaurants, or go to movie theaters or other entertainments. As long as I can still buy most groceries and refill my blood-pressure prescription, I feel no deprivation.

That said, the financial impact of prolonged interruption of my work would be significant if it happens, and may diminish my expenditures even on basics. So I'm aggressively trying to diversify my income stream, although I'm rather out of practice at it. Beyond that there's nothing I can do, and I try to avoid worrying about things I have no power over. As Will Rogers put it, "Worry is like paying interest on a debt you may never owe." ;)

My fav is "Worrying is like chewing bubble gum, in the hopes of solving Algebra problems"

On 4/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, Duke Bushido said:

I still cook with dry milk. I don't drink it because of not being tolerant.