Sounds like a James Bond song?

pbemguy

For fun I have been trying to find a song for a game I am setting up. It's a Top Secret module using Hero 3-6 (you can make your character in any of those editions).

Anyway, I want a song that sounds like a James Bond song, but was never used as a James Bond song. *AND* it has to be from 1980-1981 because that it is setting of the campaign.

The song, in my opinion, needs a strong, epic opening, a spectral/ethereal vibe, and...well whatever makes a song sound like the opening of a Bond flick with the silhouetted girls etc.

The closest I got so far was:

The limiting factor is the 1980-1981 time frame. If we aren't limiting the search to that time frame, it opens up a wealth of materials.

Much of the Incredibles soundtrack has a James Bond feel.

There are chunks of the new Intrada release of the Howard the Duck* soundtrack by John Barry that would work very well. The track, "Duck Bond I Presume" is just a feather away from James Bond (on purpose), for example.

A more up-tempo song would be "History Repeating" by the Propellerheads (from 1997). As a bonus, it features Shirley Bassey the vocalist on "Goldfinger", "Diamonds Are Forever", and "Moonraker", 

And this song's been stuck in my head since reading the original post:

*John Barry, is, of course, the person responsible for 11 of the first 14 James Bond film soundtracks, and arranged the James Bond Theme in the first Bond film, Dr. No.

• 2 weeks later...

Some potentials for you...

1980:

Men Without Hats, "Security (Everybody Feels Better With)"

Echo & the Bunnymen, "Do It Clean"

Joy Division, "Isolation"

Devo, "Freedom of Choice", "Girl U Want", "Whip It", "Cold War"

Peter Gabriel, "Games Without Frontiers", "Lead a Normal Life", "Biko"

INXS, "Just Keep Walking", "On a Bus", "Body Language", "Newsreel Babies"

1981:

Kim Carnes, "Bette Davis Eyes"

Police, "Invisible Sun", "Too Much Information"

Depeche Mode, "Photographic", "Tora Tora Tora"

Soft Cell, "Tainted Love"

Go-Gos, "Our Lips are Sealed"

Duran Duran, "Planet Earth", ""Girls on Film", "Night Boat", "Careless Memories", (also "Is There Something I Should Know?", but technically I don't think it was available until the rerelease in 83)