Sign in to follow this  
PJ Raia

Penetration

Reading the description of the modifier Penetrating in the Champions Complete rulebook, I'm either a bit slow, or over-thinking it because exactly what the advantage is and does escapes me. I'm all ears if someone can break this down for me. Thanks in advance. 

Before I answer further, let me clarify something:  only I can answer questions in this forum. The way you wrote your question, you seem to want input from pretty much anyone, but no one else can answer here.

As if that weren't frustrating enough, I didn't write Champions Complete, so I don't feel comfortable answering questions about it. The author, Derek Hiemforth, is here on the message boards, but as I mentioned above, he can't respond here.

So, I'm going to move your question to the Discussion board. That way Derek, or anyone else who'd like to, can help you out with an answer. :)

I don't have the Champions Complete book, but I can answer generally.  Penetrating has existed in Champions for a long time, and I don't think they've changed it.

The Penetrating advantage helps to ensure that a little bit of damage always gets through, past your target's defenses.  So when you roll the dice, you count the "Body" (though this is misleading in the case of killing attacks).  So let's say you have a 4D6 attack, Penetrating.  You roll a 1, a 3, and two 5s.  The '1' on the die counts as zero Body.  The 3 and the 5s each count as 1 Body.  If you had any 6s on the dice, those would count as 2 Body.  However much Body you rolled, that's how much damage will get through your target's defenses, at a minimum.  The type of damage that gets through is the kind the attack normally deals (killing attacks do Body damage, normal attacks do Stun damage, Drains... umm, do drain damage, etc).

So Bob has a 4D6 Killing Attack, Penetrating.  His target has 20 resistant Defense.  Bob rolls crappy on the damage, rolling 4D6 and getting four 2s on the dice.  Well, each of those still counts as one Body (1 is zero, 2-5 are 1, 6 is 2).  So the attack does 8 normal Body, which the target shrugs off easily with 20 resistant Defense.  But is also counts as 4 Penetrating Body, so some damage still gets through.  The target takes 4 Body past defenses.  If the attack was a normal attack, they'd take 4 Stun past defenses.  If it was a Strength Drain, they'd lose 4 points of Strength.

Massey's response pretty much covers it.  I would just like to add two more points.

Point 1:

If the attack would normally do more normally than what get penetrated, you go with the larger damage.  So if a 6d6 blast does 6,5,4,4,2,1 = 22 stun against 15 defenses.  The attack would normally do 7 stun.  Calculating penetrating, it should do 6 stun (2,1,1,1,1,0 respectively).  Because 7 is greater than 6, the attack does 7 stun.

Point 2:

The penetrating damage is calculated after all defenses, including damage reduction and damage negation.  These defenses normally do not affect the penetrating damage unless, I guess, it's bought with impenetrable.  To be honest, I have never seen anyone put impenetrable on either reduction or negation, but I would assume it would be fine.

Damage negation can reduce the amount of damage that gets through because you don’t actually roll as many dice.  So if I have a 10d6 attack and my target has -6 DC of damage negation I am only rolling 4d6 not 10.  Of course you have to factor in the advantage for penetrating so my -6 DC will take off 4d6 instead of 10d6 so vs the 10d6 attack I take 6d6.  That reduces the amount of body you can roll therefor the amount that penetrates my other defenses.