How to "Jailbreak" a Kindle Fire 8?

Pariah

I got a Kindle Fire 8 for Christmas. It's worked fairly well, but the Android operating system that's on it is, for lack of a better word, lame.  The Amazon app store is lacking, to say the least. Worse, I can't use my Kindle to access any of the Google apps. That's unfortunate, because my school district uses Google a lot, and it would really be helpful to have a device more mobile than a laptop but larger than my phone to access the stuff.

Now, I understand that it is possible to replace the handicapped Amazon version of Android with the same OS that my Android phone is running. Has anyone here done this? And how tech-savvy does one have to be to accomplish it? Any advice would be helpful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

What, did you get another Fire?

I had a Fire, but ditched it a long time ago.  FAR too slow.  Slow to boot, too, cuz the OS wanted to do too much stuff.  I have 2 Kindle e-book readers;  got a Paperwhite thinking the extra brightness would be good, but...eh, not so sure.  But for tablets?  iPad.  And yes, I dislike many things Apple does too, but Android has nothing close, even now.  But if you need the Google apps, well, I believe a couple are considered pretty good, altho pricey.