Hoedowns with Gnomes

Ragitsu

Closest I can think of is the movie, Elf starring Will Farrel. Despite being a comedy with a different context, I do think it offers a few insights. Said human may not realize he isn't a Gnome for some time, at least if the Gnomes don't make a big deal about it. But his size should make it obvious before he reaches maturity. OTOH if he's ostracized to any extent he'll probably develop a chip on his shoulder. Bullying, though, would stop once he gets his growth. He'll probably try very hard to fit in, to adopt the attitudes and practices of the Gnomes around him. He'll be uncomfortably out of place with everything scaled to Gnomes, unless his community regularly interacts with humans and includes housing, furniture etc suitable for them.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Closest I can think of is the movie, Elf starring Will Farrel. Despite being a comedy with a different context, I do think it offers a few insights. Said human may not realize he isn't a Gnome for some time, at least if the Gnomes don't make a big deal about it. But his size should make it obvious before he reaches maturity. OTOH if he's ostracized to any extent he'll probably develop a chip on his shoulder. Bullying, though, would stop once he gets his growth. He'll probably try very hard to fit in, to adopt the attitudes and practices of the Gnomes around him. He'll be uncomfortably out of place with everything scaled to Gnomes, unless his community regularly interacts with humans and includes housing, furniture etc suitable for them.

The gnomes I have in mind are about three feet tall (give or take a few inches). Either his adoptive "parents" - the wider population, considering how communal these folks are - build him his own living space or he resides which some of the more affluent old-blood families: their relatively palatial accommodations may just be comfortable enough for him. Then again, as you say, if a smaller race is used to "big people" stopping by for various reasons, it is entirely possible they already have constructed buildings on a scale large enough to entertain giant guests from afar. What is of prime concern to me is how his mentality might clash with fellow humans once he treads into the wide world. Given his lifelong experience, he may be more aware of his environment (due to the necessity of not accidentally crushing or colliding with individuals much smaller than himself) and less likely to suffer from claustrophobia.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:16 PM, Ragitsu said:

9838c98639a93b36c7a844678ce882c6.jpg

Does anyone here know of any examples of non-gnomes being raised by gnomes? I have a character concept in mind, but I'd like to gather some insight first before putting graphite to paper.

As it happens,m that's the concept of one of the PCs in my new D&D game. An orc raised by a traveling troupe of gnomish tinkers and entertainers. He still identifies as a gnome, despite the difference in size. Which in my world makes perfect sense to gnomes. Trained as a toymaker like his foster-father; called as a paladin after an encounter with slavers led by a minor demon; currently in the neighborhood watch of the Oddmonger district of the city of Thalassene, where many people find him confusing.

Dean Shomshak

On 4/7/2020 at 1:22 PM, Tjack said:

I’m just curious, at what age was this foundling taken in?   I started flashing on diaper duties for and teaching to walk someone a large percentage of your own size.  Good parents.  Tough parents.

Four years old or thereabouts. Memories of his human upbringing are closer to ghosts than statues.