Extended Templates

Brian Stanfield

Hi Simon,

Quick question about custom templates. I was looking at the downloads page for the built-in templates for 6e, and the documentation says "Remember to always extend Main.hdt or Main6E.hdt and not replace!" I see that the custom templates I've saved before actually extend the "builtIn.Main6E.hdt" (and not "Main6E.hdt"). So am I correct in assuming that the custom template is actually extending the built-in Main6e template in the HD6.jar file, and not a copy of the Main6E file that I save in my directory with other HD files? 

Thanks in advance. I've never paid attention to this before when I've done other templates. I've only ever saved an existing template under a new name after I modify it in HD, and have never started from scratch with the default Main6e.hdt file and modified it in a text editor. I'm sure this is a pretty obvious question, but I want to make sure before I get to far into fiddling with a new template.

You are correct -  builtIn.Main6E.hdt is telling HD to use the Main6E.hdt file that is contained in the main HD6.jar file for the application (an ensuring that any updates to that file are included when you use your custom template).

As a note: if you're saving off a copy of the built in templates, I would recommend placing them somewhere other than the directory that you run HD from (i.e. not in the same directory as HD6.jar). If they're in the same directory, Java may look to load those instead of the copies contained in the jar file when HD runs.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

As a note: if you're saving off a copy of the built in templates, I would recommend placing them somewhere other than the directory that you run HD from (i.e. not in the same directory as HD6.jar). If they're in the same directory, Java may look to load those instead of the copies contained in the jar file when HD runs.

Brilliant! You beat me to my next question.

Thanks again.