A couple of questions

Astromath

Using 5e template.

How can I sell back characteristics, such as running, through the Powers Tab?  Main reason is to put limitations (or advantages) on the points being sold back.  Example, Armor (OIF) that reduces running by 2".  That means putting an OIF on -2 points of running.

How would you be able to do the following:

You have a power, let's say a blaster rifle 4d6 EB with 6 charges.  You also have a gadget VPP that includes a gadget, such as a power pack, that gets attached to the blaster rifle which adds an extra 2d6 to the EB (for a total of 6d6) and replaces the 6 charges with 16 charges.  How can you build that gadget in the VPP?  The VPP in question has 60 base cost and 30 control cost with the OAF limitation for a total of 75 points.

1 minute ago, Astromath said:

How can I sell back characteristics, such as running, through the Powers Tab?  Main reason is to put limitations (or advantages) on the points being sold back.  Example, Armor (OIF) that reduces running by 2".  That means putting an OIF on -2 points of running.

You don't as that is not allowed within the rules of the system. To build an ability that has a negative impact on Characteristics, you'd typically use Side Effects.

5 minutes ago, Astromath said:

How would you be able to do the following:

You have a power, let's say a blaster rifle 4d6 EB with 6 charges.  You also have a gadget VPP that includes a gadget, such as a power pack, that gets attached to the blaster rifle which adds an extra 2d6 to the EB (for a total of 6d6) and replaces the 6 charges with 16 charges.  How can you build that gadget in the VPP?  The VPP in question has 60 base cost and 30 control cost with the OAF limitation for a total of 75 points.

This is not an HD question as you'd build it in HD the same way you'd construct it within the rules of the system...so I'll defer on this and suggest you post in HERO System Discussion.

Step 1: define it within the rules of the system.  What specific rule are you trying to mirror in HD to both add to the damage of an ability and increase the Charges (reduce a Limitation on the ability).  When you define that, you pretty much have the way to build it in HD.

That's easy if it is not in a power framework.  Use the Combined Power rule.  However, what I want is the additional dice and charges in a gadget pool.  Think of an assault rifle that has a bullet clip.  The gadget pool clip represents larger bullets (extra damage) and more of them (even more charges).  The Combined Power rule breaks down.  Maybe Naked Advantage representing the extra dice and the extra charges on that?  Not sure if that would work.

Again, you're positing how to do it within the Hero System rules.  If you want to create the ability with a Naked Advantage, then you'd do just that in HD -- buy a Naked Advantage (and deal with the appropriate warnings about buying abilities like that in a Power Framework).

I would recommend posting in the Hero System Discussion if you're looking for feedback about how to construct such an ability.  When you have questions about how to do something specific in HD (e.g. how to purchase a Naked Advantage as an example power in a VPP), post back here.

So, I guess, you're telling me that there is no way to do it in HD.  My question had nothing to do with HS rules, but how to apply those rules to HD (at least in this specific instance).  As far as I can tell, there is no way to do it in a VPP gadget pool.  I give up and use Custom Power as a placeholder, even though that is not the way to go.

There is one book where this was done with an entangle.  See product 203 Millennium City, pages 48-50, Dr. Silverback.  On page 48 is the entangle gun and on page 50 sidebar is the gadget in the VPP that "improves" the original entangle gun.  I'm just trying to duplicate that for an EB, but I can't get it to work in HD.

No, I am telling you that HD will do whatever you need within the HERO System rules...but you need to define what you're looking to do.

If you want to create a Naked Advantage within your VPP, then you do exactly that within HD -- create a VPP and build a Naked Advantage as a slot within it.

If you want to build your Power concept in some different fashion, then you need to define that build (what it is you're looking to do) within the rules of the system...then it's pretty much just a matter of mirroring exactly that within HD.

So, for the final time: your question is one of "how do I build this?" not "how do I do this in HD?"  - and that is something that you will want to bring up in the Hero System Discussion forum where others can contribute.

• Simon locked this topic