Problem Starting HD6

SteelSpyder

Ok, I'm trying to start HD6 and its not working (I get the "choose an app to open the file" window), I downloaded jarfix and when I run it it say I have no current Java Runtime Environment.  I downloaded the most recent JRE and installed it then restarted my computer, still jarfix says I don't have a current JRE.  Anyone have this problem before? If so, how do I fix it?  Thanks.

It sounds like something is going awry with your Java installation.  Where are you downloading Java from?  

After a successful installation, you should be able to open a command prompt and enter "java -version" to see the version information for whatever Java you have installed on your system -- paste that into a reply to this post and I can hopefully provide more help.

Her is what I got after using the java -version command:

C:\Users\Eric>java -version
java version "1.8.0_251"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_251-b08)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.251-b08, mixed mode)

Hopefully this gives you the info you need, if there is anything else I need to do let me know.  Thanks!

Then there is either something going wrong with how you are installing Java or how you are running jarfix (e.g. installing Java only for one user and running jarfix as a different account).  A working copy of Java is (obviously) a pre-requisite for HD.  One thing you can try (in case the problem is restricted to jarfix for some reason):

Go back to the command prompt and cd to the directory that you unzipped the HD download into (the directory that contains HD6.jar) and execute the following:

java -jar HD6.jar

That should launch HD...if that works, we can punt on jarfix and get you setup with a batch file to run HD.  If it doesn't work, you're going to need to do some digging to determine what was different between when you ran "java -version" and this attempt...

Well, one would be to figure out why jarfix is not finding your JRE...but that may be an exercise in frustration.

Easiest would be to create a batch file to launch HD -- just put the command above in it ("java -jar HD6.jar"). Then you just double-click the batch file.

Note: you can create a batch file by simply making any text file and giving it a .bat extension.  For example:  runHD.bat with the following contents

cd [full path to your HD folder here - the one containing HD6.jar]
java -jar HD6.jar