Playing Hero On Line?

Panpiper

We are all pretty much in isolation these days, opportunities for socializing at a minimum. The tabletop gaming group I normally play with weekly, has taken our game on line for the time being, awakening me to the relative ease and pleasure of still being able to play. We are most of us actually interacting with text even, and still it's WAY better than nothing.

My regular group gave up on playing Hero sadly, because after five years of playing, half the players still didn't know what dice to roll. They were utterly uninterested in learning any rules set at all. So now we are playing D&D 5e, and they still don't know what dice to roll half the time. All that to say, I miss my old Hero.

Now that I know first hand that Hero is possible, despite actual lovers of Hero being few and far away, perhaps in these days when so many of us are home, twiddling, a few of us might connect on line and rekindle old flames? I would be interested in joining any Hero System game, any setting, if anyone will have me. I actually do not have a webcam at the moment, but if that's a deal breaker, I could get one and figure it out.

I am not one much for GMing. I've done it before, but it is always seat of the pants GMing, with very little preparation. I know there are people out there that actually enjoy GMing. I am not one of them. I 'am' a pretty good player though. I used to be intimately familiar with the rules. Creating characters is not a problem for me, even complex ones. That said, I tend none the less to create relatively straight forward characters.

I have a personal preference for fantasy, but I am open to all genres. Anyone with an existing group willing to accept new blood? Anyone wanting to start something?

Hey, Panpiper.  Have you tried play-by-email (pbem) games, where everyone posts emails to the group as they go, no set gaming sessions?  It has pro's and con's over regular gather round the table games.

Edited by Cam
Forgot to click "notify me of replies."

I'm not sure I am clear on the concept of what a "pbem" game is, or how it is actually played. I suppose it could be some sort of shared story writing device, but how the heck do you roll dice, let alone adjudicate a fight? Is there an article or video somewhere I could reference that could give me more of a clue? I do role play and I can write quite well and easily, but I am more of a wargamer when I play tabletop than I am a role player. I am not sure pbem would be my cup of tea.

Thank you for the link Amorkca. I had not seriously looked at Table Top Simulator before. I have now watched a few videos about it and am slightly less clueless. However the crucial thing is not so much knowing about any given on line tool in advance, but rather finding or putting together a group that would want to play, be it Table Top Simulator, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, or anything else. One could know about, possess and have mastered all those tools and still have no game to play.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:38 PM, Panpiper said:

I'm not sure I am clear on the concept of what a "pbem" game is, or how it is actually played. I suppose it could be some sort of shared story writing device, but how the heck do you roll dice, let alone adjudicate a fight? Is there an article or video somewhere I could reference that could give me more of a clue? I do roll play and I can write quite well and easily, but I am more of a wargamer when I play tabletop than I am a role player. I am not sure pbem would be my cup of tea.

Rpol has a dice roller as it is a play by post(everybody goes to the same website and posts to a common forum that the GM sets up
It is free

you will need to use 2nd free website like https://postimages.org/