Why NOT use a multipower for magic?

Panpiper

1 hour ago, Ockham's Spoon said:

Thanks for the warning.  There are always trade-offs, but the great part of the Hero system is we get to choose which ones we want to make.

Yup! That's the best part, I think. I don't ever mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, and you'll never hear me telling anyone they're having wrong-bad-fun. I think we'd all do better if we remember that there are no "official" ways to apply the rules, and that all our brainstorming is dependent upon our own personal campaign settings, game baselines and stuff like that. We're just here to draw from hundreds of years of experience in all the members, and to offer some new ways of looking at things. Otherwise, we could just all go sit and read the rules ourselves and we wouldn't need these discussions.

Brian Stanfield I’m with you on the resource pool. I’ll leave the Multipower to personal preference. I what I’m flabbergasted about is the notion of even against tracking mundane equipment via resource pool. What do many like the point buy system? So we can see and and get a better feel for what is fair or at least know in advance on how powerful or weak something is. Yet mention it for mundane in a Fantasy Game and boom resistance. The funny thing is I do know with the other genres if this resistance is so much.  

On 6/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, massey said:

I think a lot of people today are influenced by anime and Japanese rpg video games.  They don't want to play Conan, they want to play some character from Final Fantasy 17 or something.

Looking at tabletop rpgs or old fantasy novels isn't necessarily going to tell you what your players are really looking for.

I don't know.  I agree that anime is far more influential than it was, but I don't have think it is impacting RPGs that much.  If it was the case, D&D would be fading away.  Hero can do that style of play easily, but systems like 2d20 could do that too. 

4 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Here’s a question, do you make characters pay for extraordinary equipment but it’s no magical?

I'd need a little more context and define extraordinary equipment.

In my experience this usually is just a player trying to game the system and get something or a advantage over the other players for nothing.  They want a device that we have or could have now in the real world ignoring that the far more primitive world of the game wouldn't have the tools to build the tools to make it.  Let alone have any idea of how to.

If the equipment is just a way to have magical equipment and not call it magical, then I would treat it just like magic.  A firearm may not "magic" in a more modern setting, but it is definitely "magic" in a D&D style setting. 

That is unless you are thinking of something entirely different....

Sorry, should have explained better. (These are from the last few Kung Fu movies I’ve watched.) Master Villain has a staff that can extend across a room. A villainess has a mandolin type instrument which the pegs pulled out as throwing daggers. The neck as a short sword. The body was throw as as a grenade. Hero has a sword built like a tonfa which pivoted on the handle and the big reveal, the blade shot out at the villain and was attached by a chain. And speaking of shooting a villain had a sword which emitted poisonous gasses and shot like a gun along its blade. These are are obliviously better than mundane items but not magical in their description.

6 hours ago, Spence said:

I don't know.  I agree that anime is far more influential than it was, but I don't have think it is impacting RPGs that much.  If it was the case, D&D would be fading away.  Hero can do that style of play easily, but systems like 2d20 could do that too. 

I think YouTubers as minor celebrities are currently the most influential. 

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I think YouTubers as minor celebrities are currently the most influential. 

Who?  I think I am not a person they are influencing since I don't even know who they are.  I'm guessing they are like the POD people that have successfully been saving me money for the last few years.  Since I can no longer go to a game companies site and quickly scan their news and then read the items of interest, I no longer have any idea when there are new releases.  So I no longer buy a fraction of the gaming products I used to. 

On 5/20/2020 at 2:34 PM, Panpiper said:

Strength/characteristics based characters have been massively neutered relative to powers and such, whose points costs remained unchanged.

They haven't been "neutered".  They just have to to actually pay for the power that they go for free before.

And while point costs of most POWERS have remained the same, the actual point cost for characteristics have changed to reflect the decoupling.  Not all of them mind you but a good portion of them.

The problem that has arisen is that HERO games likes to copy and paste.  So while the decoupling was done to level the playing field a bit, all published characters are just copy/pasted from previous editions instead of actually being rewritten to take advantage of the new rules.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:26 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

Ninja Hero the original (at least that’s where I found it.) Had a suggestion that even though you don’t pay for weapon, you were only allowed to carry x points depending on where you were set for war or out on town not expecting combat.

Don't recall seeing that in Ninja Hero.  

I do recall it being used/mentioned in Dark Champions as "Resource Points".  You had double your Resource Points as your "Armory" which was all your stuff you had access too.  But it was at your base of operations.  Then you had your "kit" which was the stuff you had on you. (Which totaled your Resource Points).