Hero Designer (HD) on Apple Mac Desktop or Laptop

jfg17

It's developed on a Mac, so I'd say that it runs just fine on them 😉

The requirements are the same as for all other systems: a full/functioning installation of the Java JRE (version 6 or better, but that's kind of a given these days).

The latest version is, I believe, 13.  Not sure the last update number.  But if you're not coding in Java?  It's not likely you need to go past 8...or at least not often.  10, perhaps, as there were some significant language chances in 9 and 10, but I suspect it's not common for general-use apps.  

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded the ZIP (after paying for it!) and Unzipped it and opened the .JAR file (on Mac AirBook) and it told me I need the JDK (Java Developers' Kit) so I downloaded and installed THAT, now when I open the .JAR file absolutely nothing happens. I mean, it makes the little animation like it's starting a program, but nothing is showing up, anywhere. {sigh}

6 hours ago, Korren9 said:

I downloaded the ZIP (after paying for it!) and Unzipped it and opened the .JAR file (on Mac AirBook) and it told me I need the JDK (Java Developers' Kit) so I downloaded and installed THAT, now when I open the .JAR file absolutely nothing happens. I mean, it makes the little animation like it's starting a program, but nothing is showing up, anywhere. {sigh}

If I recall correctly, I had the same problem on my Mac. I think I deleted every bit of the installed HD files, restarted and reinstalled and it ran fine. 

A couple of things:

1. You need the JRE, not the JDK.  The JDK is for developers.  It will include the runtime environment that you need for HD, but also has a LOT of stuff that you won't need.  The JRE is the runtime environment only.

2. Most likely, your system is prompting you to approve opening a downloaded application.  If you missed the popup, you'll likely see it in the Security & Privacy section of your System Preferences panel.

Also note that you need to have HD in a directory that you have full read-write permissions to.

Thanks to both Simon and Brian, but neither of those solutions worked. I know about the "Unidentified Creator" and I typed in admin password to bypass that. After doing that the first time, it said it needed JDK and wouldn't do anything and sent me to the Oracle site to download it. (I'd uninstall it, if I knew how, just to get the error message screenshot!)

I'm running OS X Yosemite v 10.10.5 on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

I don't know which version of Java I'm running, though. Where do I look that up? I know there's no Java "Program" to start up, otherwise I'd select Open File and try to find the HD software from there!

Thanks,

Corey

After figuring out what the hell a launchpad and a Terminal was (thank you, Google!), it gives me this error:

Error: dl failure on line 558

Error: failed /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-14.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/server/libjvm.dylib, because dlopen(/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-14.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/server/libjvm.dylib, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find:

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-14.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/server/libjvm.dylib: code signature invalid for '/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-14.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/server/libjvm.dylib'

Yeah...you don't have Java properly installed.

I'd remove the JDK that you attempted to install (google is your friend as that is going to be well outside of the purview of this site).  Once that's done, go to java.com and install the current JRE -- it's the big red button that says "Java Download"

• 2 years later...

A lot to unpack there...

To start, JRE refers to Java Runtime Environment -- it's the "virtual machine" that Java creates to run applications, not a file type.  You're not going to see any .JRE files.

.HDE files are HERO Designer export formats -- you don't run/execute them, you load them into HD.

HD6.jar is the executable for HD (as explained on the download page).  If it's not launching HD when you double-click it, then you don't have Java installed (or don't have it properly installed, as we went through above several years ago).

Go to www.java.com and click the button to "Download Java" -- install that on your system and you should be good to go.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

A lot to unpack there...

To start, JRE refers to Java Runtime Environment -- it's the "virtual machine" that Java creates to run applications, not a file type.  You're not going to see any .JRE files.

.HDE files are HERO Designer export formats -- you don't run/execute them, you load them into HD.

HD6.jar is the executable for HD (as explained on the download page).  If it's not launching HD when you double-click it, then you don't have Java installed (or don't have it properly installed, as we went through above several years ago).

Go to www.java.com and click the button to "Download Java" -- install that on your system and you should be good to go.

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry for the lack of tech savvy, I didn't get it. Looks like it's working now! Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 10.18.49 AM.png

• 4 months later...
On 2/1/2023 at 6:36 AM, Simon said:

It’s been a long time since I used HD and this my first time using it on a Mac. I can’t seem to load any of the .HDE files into HD. There’s many file options under “select export template” but I can’t drag the downloaded template into any of them. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

There's no difference between MacOS and Windows (or Linux, for that matter) - you select an export format in the dialog.  You don't drag any templates anywhere.

If you're looking to select an export format that you've downloaded, you need to point the dialog to the directory containing the downloaded export format.

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

Current Character -> Export -> Set Export Format... | Preview Character... | Export to File...

Those options take me to a "Select Export Template" window with a list of empty files: applications, desktop, documents, downloads, etc. with a an "available" box that's blank and a description box that says "Please select a directory which contains export templates (.HDE files) 

That's why I thought I had to drag the files into one of those folders because they're all blank even though I can see some of the templates I downloaded when I look in finder. 

It's no different from any other file dialog in that respect - you're going to need to navigate to the directory that you have the .HDE files stored. The top of the dialog has the current directory that you're looking in (and the ability to directly navigate up from there) as well as the common file/directory controls.