Champions Begins!

Christopher R Taylor

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's the ideas I came up with for characters:

Ace - baseball throwing Gambit kind of knockoff

Behemoth - Hulk knockoff, bruiser that can grow to huge size

Blurred Lion - Speedster cat man

Doctor Nope - vaguely spiderman clone without webs but a toxic blast and 360 vision instead of danger sense

Honey Badger - Wolverine/Deadpool knockoff

King (Queen) Kickass - Stripped down superman/wonder woman clone with massive ego and personality

Patriot - Captain America type with a shield built around Crusader from 4th edition Champions

Street Knight - Batman knockoff, staff fighter

Supercollider - Cannonball knockoff, super easy champions character concept that is very effective

Teeny - shrinker

Vulcan - Thor type with hammer, but the Roman god of the forge

Wariangle - Iron Man type, but with a gun instead of repulsors

I am trying to come up with more modern sounding names that would appeal to younger gamers, stuff that feels more like something a new Stan Lee would come up with.  I don't want 800 characters because we need like 6 versions of them with details on each for the players, and two images for each.

What it looks like the chapters will break down like is to start at 250 points and give 25 point batches of upgrades before the next chapter as xps.  That way they get a steady progression of power and feel like a tutorial adding new abilities as the scenario unfolds.

That said, characters like Street Knight are so skill based and the first scenario has zero skill use in it, so that he'll start out kind of lower points and get a lot more between adventures.  However, I don't envision characters getting point values or doing math at all in this until later in the adventure, so his point progression and the inconsistency between characters can be hidden behind the scenes.

EDIT:

I am not so sure about ace, but there's no energy projector character that is really popular right now (other than Iron Man I guess).  I want an Iron Man character, but it would be good to have a classic energy projector or two for players to choose from.  Force field, blast, flight.  Its a classic Champions build but almost unknown in comics, oddly enough.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Any thoughts on the character types, especially names?  I want these to resonate with younger players, as at least part of this is a method of attracting a new generation to playing Champions

Um...I'm turning 50 August 4th. I don't think anyone on this board can clame to be a younger player.

Just now, Mark Rand said:

He's younger than me.  I turned 70 this past May 25.

Many of us can remember playing 1st edition. Me? I still fondly remember the BBB. One book which can stop a bullet, AND was always an enjoyable read. I miss the Advantages and Limitations charts. You know, where you can find how much real points stuff is by finding the based cost and maximum advantages/limitations on something.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:05 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well here's the ideas I came up with for characters:

Ace - baseball throwing Gambit kind of knockoff

Behemoth - Hulk knockoff, bruiser that can grow to huge size

Blurred Lion - Speedster cat man

Doctor Nope - vaguely spiderman clone without webs but a toxic blast and 360 vision instead of danger sense

Honey Badger - Wolverine/Deadpool knockoff

King (Queen) Kickass - Stripped down superman/wonder woman clone with massive ego and personality

Patriot - Captain America type with a shield built around Crusader from 4th edition Champions

Street Knight - Batman knockoff, staff fighter

Supercollider - Cannonball knockoff, super easy champions character concept that is very effective

Teeny - shrinker

Vulcan - Thor type with hammer, but the Roman god of the forge

Wariangle - Iron Man type, but with a gun instead of repulsors

I am trying to come up with more modern sounding names that would appeal to younger gamers, stuff that feels more like something a new Stan Lee would come up with.  I don't want 800 characters because we need like 6 versions of them with details on each for the players, and two images for each.

What it looks like the chapters will break down like is to start at 250 points and give 25 point batches of upgrades before the next chapter as xps.  That way they get a steady progression of power and feel like a tutorial adding new abilities as the scenario unfolds.

That said, characters like Street Knight are so skill based and the first scenario has zero skill use in it, so that he'll start out kind of lower points and get a lot more between adventures.  However, I don't envision characters getting point values or doing math at all in this until later in the adventure, so his point progression and the inconsistency between characters can be hidden behind the scenes.

EDIT:

I am not so sure about ace, but there's no energy projector character that is really popular right now (other than Iron Man I guess).  I want an Iron Man character, but it would be good to have a classic energy projector or two for players to choose from.  Force field, blast, flight.  Its a classic Champions build but almost unknown in comics, oddly enough.

Have you seen the recent reboot of "The Ray"? might provide a basic idea, also the Human Torch is well known, and is a classic E-blaster/EC user....

20 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Any thoughts on the character types, especially names?  I want these to resonate with younger players, as at least part of this is a method of attracting a new generation to playing Champions

I suggest you hit up some "meme" reddits and find some common terms and concepts.

20 hours ago, steriaca said:

Many of us can remember playing 1st edition. Me? I still fondly remember the BBB. One book which can stop a bullet, AND was always an enjoyable read. I miss the Advantages and Limitations charts. You know, where you can find how much real points stuff is by finding the based cost and maximum advantages/limitations on something.

I started with First Edition(which I still have), and kind of stopped at fourth (BBB which I still have), when most of the Face to face players and GMs moved away and did that family stuff. Only just now, reluctantly sliding into 6th edition, and it feels different.

Is this overlapping with the Champions Wiki project ramping up in the other thread?

On 7/17/2020 at 11:05 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

EDIT:

On 7/21/2020 at 7:14 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Among energy projectors, Marvel's Captain Marvel got quite a high profile in movies recently.

Name that popped into my head first: "Zappiria."  Feels rather Stan Lee to me. ;)

On 7/22/2020 at 2:21 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Only just now, reluctantly sliding into 6th edition, and it feels different.

I hear that. 

I started with 1st, played through to 6th.  From 1st to 5th the changes felt more like small adjustments rather than something actually changed.  5th to 6th was jarring and just felt off.  I could never get comfortable with 6th and play.  So it is back to 5th for me.

• 1 month later...

Pardon for being butting in, but for an energy projector... The first thing that comes to mind for me is a Wizard. I know ya'll probably instantly think of Mystic and Casting Rolls and Power Frameworks. Not Energy Projector. And while at a conceptual level they are very different, that's not the level new people are looking at. You are looking to build a familiar Build, when the people aren't familiar with the Concept of the Build you are talking about. At first, if you have a character throw up an intangible wall of pure energy, and another character cast Wall of Force, the thematics are different, but the build functions similarly. So use that.

Basic Energy Projector would have... Flight. Barriers. Blast both individually and as a group. Maybe a Change Environment or Entangle, but both of those start to veer into complicated territory fast.

So instead of crafting a Power Pool or a Power Framework for it, call those individual spells. Flight? A fly spell, can make them all cloudy and gunk if you wish. Barriers? Summon a plane of force, or perhaps Earth or Iron if you want to get fancy. Blast? A Magical Blast called however you want... Astral Shot or something. And a basic Fireball gets the area version.

The turning point from Mystic to Energy Projector is conceptual there. That instead of channeling "Magic" they are channeling "Energy." A lot of younger people, at least comparatively, want reason for how the superhero's are doing... whatever they are doing. Using something they already accept to work in games, Magic, is a useful shortcut instead of having them accept a whole new feild to draw power from, Energy.

Tis my 2 cents on the issue. Source: Early 20's guy.

• 1 year later...

This is a bit late but I wanted you to know that I ended up with two energy projectors, one blaster straight out of Champions central casting because it is such a classic build and one .... wizard :)

I hinted that this is the Dr Strange of the group but there's not much different from a blaster and a mage other than as you say, special effect.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:26 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

there's not much different from a blaster and a mage other than as you say, special effect.

mages usually get a pass to have a couple of weird defense bypassing attacks in their multipower (like unless you have a magic force field you will be taking full effect). 

Other than that I can't argue.

In general mages also have an excuse to take odd attack powers, like Drain and Entangle. Mages tend to be more flexible but complex power build.

Also, more powerful mages tend to have VPPs. Cause you simply can't write Doctor Strange or the Specter for under 500 points without it.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Many different scales occur therefore many different versions of villains etc. One Dr. Doom does not fit all campaigns. Where is the middle of the SPD chart - 4/18, 4/20, 4/23, 5,23, 6/26 ? Write to each one of these bracket points.

2. There are many different rules (5e or 6e being the main but not the only forms) design a slightly versions for each.

3. There are many different play-styles thus have many different kinds of villains/heroes etc.

4. Suicide Squad is an style of campaign therefore stick hook for when the players are villians force to be doing good.

5. Give a topical hooks. The pandemic is here, take advantage of it.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:26 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I hinted that this is the Dr Strange of the group but there's not much different from a blaster and a mage other than as you say, special effect.

I always thought of Mages and Psionics as the interchangeable ones.  All the same powers but different Special Effects.