Damage Negation and Penetrating

dsatow

Question

How does damage negation and penetrating work against each other?  I tried searching the forum as I thought this was asked a while back but didn't find it. 

i.e. If someone has 6d6 of damage negation and is attacked by a 4d6 blast penetrating(say 6,4,3,1 in damage for a minimum of 4 stun), how much damage would they take?

1 answer to this question

First -- there's a paragraph on 6E1 184 that discusses how Penetrating and Damage Negation interact. Is that maybe what you were thinking of when you searched the forums?

Second -- there was a question a couple years ago about Damage Negation and heavily Advantaged powers, in which I answered in part:  "As noted on 6E1 183, when you apply Damage Negation to an attack with Advantages, you have to take those Advantages into account, using the rules on 6E2 97. Putting Advantages on an attack changes the effective cost of each Damage Class, but it doesn’t reduce the effectiveness of Damage Negation."  Is that maybe what you were thinking of?

Given those two bits of information, the answer to your hypothetical is as follows. First, you have to subtract 6 DCs from a Normal Damage attack with a +1/2 Advantage. So you consult the table on 6E2 101 and count 6 DCs down from 4d6. Unfortunately for the attacker, this reduces the damage of the attack to 0d6, so the target takes no damage at all (since, as noted on 6E1 184, Damage Negation does affect the minimum damage amount caused by Penetration, and the Penetrating effect of 0d6 is 0 points of damage).

I think that covers your question, but if not, or if you find the reference you were thinking of and it affects this answer, feel free to PM me or post a follow-up. ;)