How does the penetrating advantage work with the hit location rules?

LoneWolf

Question

How much damage does someone take if they are hit with a penetrating killing attack in a game that uses hit locations?  For example let’s say I have a 2d6 RKA hit in the head for average damage against a target with enough defenses to stop the attack, but the defenses are not impenetrable.  Since I rolled 2 for the “Body” that means that 2 points get through no matter how much defense or damage reduction the target has.  But a head shot has a x2 multiple for body.  So does that mean the target takes 4 Body, or do they take 2? 

1 answer to this question

I swear I answered this question somewhere along the line, but if so I can’t find it right now. I reserve the right to update my answer in case I ever run across the previous response. ;)

Just as the minimum damage from Penetrating is not multiplied by the effects of a Vulnerability (a previous Rules FAQ answer I did find), it is not multiplied to account for a Hit Location (either positively or negatively). For example, suppose for an RKA 2d6, Penetrating, you roll 3 and 4, for 7 BODY. That means the attack does a minimum of 2 BODY. The minimum remains 2 BODY, whether you hit the target in the Head (x2 BODY) or in the Arm (x1/2 BODY).