nrjervis

'Usable Simultaneously' valid for Life Support?

Just a quick rules question to check my thinking...

Designing a radiation-based hero who projects an area of "normalized" environment around himself. Keeps the area at a comfortable temperature and safe levels of radiation (so he could safely lead a group through a disaster area, for example). 

I was trying to build this as a Change Environment power, but it got sort of clunky and the available options didn't seem to address the radiation issue. I was wondering if it would be valid to buy Life Support: Safe in Hot, Cold, High Rad, with the advantages Usable Simultaneously (All nearby) and Inherent. I saw these options when I was playing around in Hero Designer but it feels a bit cheesy, like those advantages shouldn't really apply here.

Just looking for somebody with better rules knowledge to give me a thumbs up or down on this, and/or explain to me where I went wrong with Change Environment because I feel like that's the preferred method of making this ability. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

I think that’s is a great and valid option.  I don’t think it’s cheesy because it really fits with your concept. May I suggest (if your using 6th) to add Damage Negation-Radiation sfx? Maybe just a die or two.  That would simulate the field although not stopping a sudden (attack) spike of Radiation, it still takes some edge off it.

You could try something along the lines of Life Support, usable by others. 

Life support, area of effect. 

I think there's a more recent "physical manifestation" you could plop on either AoE or UBO, if you want.  I haven't used it for anything yet simply because I haven't found anything where a physical manifestation is somehow different from SFX, but I can see using it making someone more comfortable with the build. 

Life support UBO with a limitation that they have to be in a certain area, perhaps--that is, an area different from the "range" of the power (I don't know about 6e, but in all others, the default range is points/5".  Given the relatively low price of LS, that's not a lot of inches, but you might still want to tailor that. 

Sky's the limit, Dude.  ;)

49 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Nrjervis what edition are you using by the way?

And it’s not that you didn’t understand C.E. correctly, it’s that it’s been expanded but the main thing is C.E.  weirdly still only attacks an attack Power. 

Thanks for your advice, Ninja. I'm in 6E and while I feel I have the more common powers down, some of the less-utilized ones have a tendency to throw me. 

33 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Sky's the limit, Dude.  ;)

True true. I'm the GM anyhow so nobody is exactly auditing me, I just want to educate myself so I can pass that on to my players if it comes up. I think using Life Support UBO is probably how I'll go for now.

8 minutes ago, nrjervis said:

Thanks for your advice, Ninja. I'm in 6E and while I feel I have the more common powers down, some of the less-utilized ones have a tendency to throw me. 

I know the feeling. There are Power especially Mental that still throw me too.

I don't think Inherent is appropriate for this power; that's more for indicating powers that are a fundamental part of a character, like for Life Support: Expanded Breathing (Underwater) if they had gills. A projected field that protects others from environmental factors might be Persistent or even Always On, but it's not changing them so the factors don't affect them by default.

The Usable By Nearby option for Usable On Others would fit if you're building the power with Life Support.

Before the advent of usable by others, Life Support AoE was the way we used to make life support bubbles in games.  Though some GMs I have read still require Usable by Others even with the AoE.

Hedging against complaints, I would assume.    It's a bit like "usable by nearby.". What is that if it's not an AoE, centered on whatever it is (or whoever it is) that you should be near to use it? 

Hedging.  One of those cases where playing it safe leads to redundancy and complication. 

5 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

That to me makes no sense. AoE at base level affects EVERYONE unless modified. So why should this be any different?

I am guessing because its a beneficial power?  I don't know.  I think Duke's more on point.  A hedging of bets.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:29 PM, dsatow said:

Though some GMs I have read still require Usable by Others even with the AoE.

Add my name to the list of people who think this would be unnecessary. I see AoE and UBO as fundamentally different, even if (in some scenarios) the effect is similar. With AoE, the original user is the only one with the power, even though it affects an area. With UBO, the recipients actually possess the power. This distinction is most clear with Attack powers.