Visible Damage Reduction

Tech

On 6/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, Greywind said:

I have never heard a player say that they want to see something used against them.

I have seen them take limitations just to shave points so they can buy MOAR! And then cry when their limitation came into play.

Curious, what edition and points available?  

35 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

At a guess, all of them. It's hardly an uncommon thing.

No it isn’t. I wondered because as I mentioned in the 3rd ed Renaissance, I can see min-maxing a little to get the build to concept depending on concept. However in later editions with more points to start? Nah, that’s just Power gaming. 

FWIW a while ago I updated Laser to fifth for a game. I noticed that now Laser has a limitation: Does not work in Smoke or Rain, which realistically they don’t. Then I thought “well this is in the comics/cartoon, how often does that happen?” Answer is not really (at least what I’m watching and basing it off off). So I eliminated that limitation. Easy peasy.

Damage Reduction is already Inobvious. While it may be obvious a character glows, it doesn't mean they have Damage Reduction. Some characters might glow all the time. Inobvious powers can be detected in some ways, for instance, if you damage the character, you see they are tough.

To be Perceivable, I think it needs to be really clear the power is Damage Reduction. Like for physical Damage Reduction, attacks must slow down or something as they approach the character, or the character takes damage but "There's like a big chunk out of his leg and she's still going like it's nothing."

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

FWIW a while ago I updated Laser to fifth for a game. I noticed that now Laser has a limitation: Does not work in Smoke or Rain, which realistically they don’t. Then I thought “well this is in the comics/cartoon, how often does that happen?” Answer is not really (at least what I’m watching and basing it off off). So I eliminated that limitation. Easy peasy.

I've noticed that lasers in Heroic books have that Limitation and lasers in Superheroic books don't. 

Will smoke, fog, or rain block a laser?

What's the laser frequency?  The laser power?  What's the composition of the smoke, what's the density of the cloud?  Laser doesn't have to be visible spectrum;  different frequencies will penetrate/be more attenuated by different types of obscurant.  

IOW:  player and GM call. but for the most part, I would NOT have lasers blocked by less than thick fog, hard rain, or near at least a house fire, or a dirty, smoky fire like a bunch of burning tires.

• 3 weeks later...

I would not give a Limitation for this, certainly not just because of it being visible.  This just isn't limiting enough to merit a -1/4 Limitation.  In fact 6E1 pg. 388 specifically mentions reducing the Perceivable Limitation to 0 in the case of Defense Powers.  Then again, I am a fairly strict gm when it comes to things like this.

• 3 weeks later...

If you only glow when you take damage I would not consider that worth a limitation.  On the other hand if you glow whenever the power is active that would be worth a -1/4 limitation.   Being able to determine that a your defenses are up does give your opponents some tactical advantage.  For example they can wait until the power is not active to shoot you.