Automan thoughts

JmOz

So back in the 80's there was a TV show called Automan.  I was recently reminded about it while watching a Youtube video and realized that the main character is one of the most abusive builds EVER

See the main character can summon a superhero through an unmovable OIF

This summoned hero has a follower (or maybe it is a x2 hero summon)

The follower can multiform into different vehicles....

12 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Wasn't Automan the one whose car turned 90 degrees instantly like in a video game (causing the normal person riding with Automan to get smashed against the window)?

I think you're right.

As I recall, Automan's follower, Cursor, was easily distracted by a beautiful woman.

1 minute ago, Tjack said:

Desi Arnez Jr. was the star of this thing wasn’t he?  It was just kind of a bad “Tron: the series” right?

Yes, to Desi Arnez, Jr.  Possible to a bad Tron: the series.

According to the Wikipedia, the Autocar was a Lamborghini Countach LP400 which was capable of making 90-degree turns without losing control and overtaking merely by strafing, rather than turning.  However, human passengers not properly secured in their seats would often be thrown around inside with the momentum from the sudden position change.  The Autochopper was a Bell Jetranger capable of landing anywhere.

7 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Wasn't Automan the one whose car turned 90 degrees instantly like in a video game (causing the normal person riding with Automan to get smashed against the window)?

Dude!

Every time I mention that goofy show, _that_ is the _one thing_ that _everyone_ remembers!  :rofl:   Absolutely _nothing else_== well, a few remember cursor, though more often than not the confuse Cursor with Bit from Tron, but _everyone_ remembers the face smash into the door window.    :rofl:

Don't get me wrong-- terrible, _terrible_ show....  But it had this neat recurring scene where someone would get into the car with him and he'd make a zero-g-force instant right angle turn and the passenger would get their face all smooshed up into the door window....   You'd remember it if you saw it.  

Apparently.

:rofl: 

1 hour ago, dsatow said:

I remember Automan along with Manimal and Man from Atlantis.

Hey! I liked Man from Atlantis.
   It gave Patrick Duffy his big break before Dallas and the show might have done better in the ratings if it wasn’t up against Happy Days at its most popular.  NBC could have put a still picture of a kitten on during that time slot and gotten the same ratings.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
   If you want to talk about “so bad it’s good” TV of the time, does anybody remember Sword of Justice?  
A show where the title had nothing to do with the show.  Dack Rambo (who the hell picks that as a stage name?)  was a rich guy who was framed for stealing his company’s money and sent to jail for three years. He spent the time learning from the criminals all the skills he’d need (lockpicking, con games, etc.) to become a crusader for justice who would help the ones who were being set up like he once was. His calling card was a three of spades. The three for his years in prison and the spade was supposed to be his sword.

Awful show. About as realistic as the Love Boat. But when it’s Friday night and you’re still too young for a drivers license....

3 minutes ago, Tjack said:

It gave Patrick Duffy his big break before Dallas and the show might have done better in the ratings if it wasn’t up against Happy Days at its most popular.  NBC could have put a still picture of a kitten on during that time slot and gotten the same ratings.

If you want to talk about “so bad it’s good” TV of the time, does anybody remember Sword of Justice?  
A show where the title had nothing to do with the show.  Dack Rambo (who the hell picks that as a stage name?)  was a rich guy who was framed for stealing his company’s money and sent to jail for three years. He spent the time learning from the criminals all the skills he’d need (lockpicking, con games, etc.) to become a crusader for justice who would help the ones who were being set up like he once was. His calling card was a three of spades. The three for his years in prison and the spade was supposed to be his sword.

Awful show. About as realistic as the Love Boat. But when it’s Friday night and you’re still too young for a drivers license....

I liked The Man From Atlantis, too.  It was a good show.  I also watched Sword of Justice.  It wasn't that great of a concept, but it had its moments. 

1 hour ago, Mark Rand said:

I liked The Man From Atlantis, too.  It was a good show.  I also watched Sword of Justice.  It wasn't that great of a concept, but it had its moments. 

Bert Rosario as the loyal sidekick was pretty good too.

To be honest, I watched any scifi/superhero/superhero adjacent TV show on the air around that time that I knew about (even the Captain America pilot with the spandex suit, motorcycle, and plastic shield).  The sad thing is, I don't remember any episodes, just scenes.

PS: I thought Manimal was really dumb.  By the time he changed forms, I was wondering why the villains just didn't shoot him.

4 hours ago, dsatow said:

To be honest, I watched any scifi/superhero/superhero adjacent TV show on the air around that time that I knew about (even the Captain America pilot with the spandex suit, motorcycle, and plastic shield).  The sad thing is, I don't remember any episodes, just scenes.

PS: I thought Manimal was really dumb.  By the time he changed forms, I was wondering why the villains just didn't shoot him.

True.  I thought Simon MacCorkindale was okay in Manimal, but a lot better in all three seasons of Counterstrike.

21 hours ago, dsatow said:

There was never a live action Captain America series. It was two made for TV movies on CBS. They starred Reb Brown as Steve Rogers and I think the movies or at least clips can be found On YouTube.

19 hours ago, Tjack said:

There was never a live action Captain America series. It was two made for TV movies on CBS. They starred Reb Brown as Steve Rogers and I think the movies or at least clips can be found On YouTube.

I own them on DVD...Dr Strange also....

On 6/23/2020 at 9:34 PM, Tjack said:

"The Spade is the Sword of Justice, its rapier marks the end."

I think that was the quote, I am going from memory, not Google.

Some of the narration I remember is funny, and/or chilling looking back on it with a more jaded eye.

The main character would explain, in voiceover, how he had learned whatever skill he was performing on screen while he was in prison.

Something along the lines of: "When you're in prison, learning acrobatics is a good idea."

Soooo, when you are in prison, you would need the acrobatics to . . .

1) Avoid your cellmate after lights out?

2) Entice your cellmate after lights out?

3) Earn smokes by pole dancing out in the yard?

That kind of thing didn't occur to me when I was watching as a young, innocent, KA, but looking back, I bet the writer's meetings for that show were a riot.

"I wonder if we can get this past the censors?"

KA.