Working on New Constantinople

Hermit

Working on a new fictional city for a Champions Setting. I had been avoiding the West Coast of late, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I ended up thinking Northern California or Oregon coast. Too lazy to draw, I took an old map of Constantinople's shape, inverted it, and went with general neighborhoods instead of doing full street lay outs.

Heck, I even used it as inspiration for the name, hence, New Constaninople.

I'm starting backwards somewhat, describing the neighborhoods and trying to find history that fits on what would form that afterwards.

New Constantinople Vital Statistics

Population:600,008/1,200,224 regional

Race: 60% White (at least 1/4 of those with Greek Heritage), 17% Black, 12% Asian, Hispanic 6%, Other 5%

Religion: 39% Protestant, 30% Greek Orthodox, 18% Catholic, 5% Jewish, 8% other.

Major Industries:Tourism, Fishing, Movie production, finances, mining and mining technology

Nicknames: NewCon, "Greektown", The Golden Horn of the Pacific

City Government:

Mayor: Rochester K. Calpis

Neighborhoods are:

Argo: Once a humble shallow bay area, this neighborhood has waxed and waned a great deal. In 1897 it had its own silver rush that summoned many undesirables hoping for a get rich quick life, but soon the mines ran dry. In the 1920s, many true greek refugees, fled to New Constaninople drawn by the name as much as anything. They did not receive the warm welcome they thought they would at first, and the area became an 'ethnic neighborhood' almost overnight. The Argo name change was at first an informal comment where some locals wished the greeks would 'get back on whatever boat they came in on'. In the more modern enlightened times, Argo is seen as the 'Greek Heart' of the city, and much valued for it. It has become a leading financial district, and has a precious metal exchange located at 6117 Boy Street.

Athens: The thickest concentration of Universities and colleges of the city are found here, and of course, so are the off campus businesses and institutions that cater to them. One prominent hill in the area, is technically Lord's Hill, but nicknamed "the Acropolis." Among other buildings, the Acropolis has a museum, a library, one art gallery and similar showcase institutions that contain rare and valuable antiquities.

Benneford: Named for Bennington Ford, a mayor who long ago encouraged expansion in this area. Many of the locals who live here work at the businesses in nearby Marble Beach.

Bowers Gardens: Once the upscale area of the town where the upperclass isolated themselves from the lower classes. Then the highway came through along the backside of it (and other sections).The city, overall, benefited from this, but Bowers Gardens declined. Property values plummeted, and the old money left in droves.

City Central: Formed more by what it wasn't than what it was, City Central has become the hub of day to day city living. City Hall and other municipal buildings, as well as many of the older principle corporate offices in the city can be found here, chiefly grouped around the "Delphi Plaza".

Crescent: The end stop of a ferry that connects Northway and Argo, Crescent had a colorful past as a home to artists, black marketeers, pawnshops, bars, and houses of ill repute. While the district remains somewhat disreputable, the criminal element and arts community has largely moved on. Crescent continues to attract a fair number of writers and similar undesirables to its remaining residential hotels and loft appartments. Rumors persist that Crescent also houses a number of criminal businesses catering to a white collar clientel too timid to venture into parts of town with a more violent reputation. Paradoxically, Crescent also houses a surprising number of excellent art galleries and showrooms, as well as the New Constantinople Maritime Museum. It also contains the headquarters of "Paranormal Archives", a Tabloid dealing with the strange, or unusual. Naturally, the reporters of P.A. are drawn to superheroes like flies to ... well, you know.

Cross Town: The place everyone drives through as fast as they can. Cross Town became that void between better areas of the city, the one they "crossed through". With no major industry or history to draw attention to it, it has long been the most neglected area, and now the whole city is paying the price. Crime is worse here than anywhere else in the city.

Downshores: A combination 'working docks' and downtown area. As with all docks in comic book universes, it has its share of crime when the sun sets, yet still not as bad as crosstown.

Grayden:Grayden was historically home to the city’s secondary fish markets and warehouses, with Downshores taking the lion’s share of the shipping business, but this has changed in recent decades. Positioned between Kong Town and Argo and convenient to the trendy restaurants in Riverside, Grayden now boasts the largest fish market in New Constantinople, as well as the popular Grayden Farmer’s Market and several Asian and Greek supermarkets. Connoisseurs insist that the smaller Downshores Fish Market offers a cheaper, fresher catch, and that may be true, but the higher volume in Grayden keeps the two markets competitive. The smell of the fish market and early morning noise (as fish and produce are transported and restaurant buyers pick their stock) have kept land values artificially depressed in Grayden, drawing in a number of high tech firms seeking cheap office space. Several of Grayden’s smaller warehouses have been converted into dance clubs.

Kong Town: The China Town of the area, though it actually has a mix of other asian immigrants as well and a large number of caucausions have settled in it as well drawn by the exotic nature of it. It recently got a major shot in the arm as several film stars and directors fled the real Hong Kong's take over, and settled here. Once they did, they started up business anew. Almost overnight a small but thriving Martial Arts Movie Industry is catching up bringing in new money to the area.

Marble Beach: More of the middle class beaches, and full of resturants, hotels, and so forth that cater to it. Despite the name, the beaches here are anything but stoney. As bulk tourism is the life blood of this neighborhood, one can also find some of the tackiest shops in the city here; and many locals avoid this place like a plague come summer.

North Way:When the poorer smaller city of Glennport had a tragic fire (probably in the 1970s), New Constantinople was quick to assist... and even quicker to anex it. Taking advantage of the now cleared area, this has become the place for the Nouve Rich and corporations to expand.

Old City: this "historic district" was the original city from which the rest of the city sprang. The oldest buildings of the area are found here, some only recently renovated.

The Palisades: The shoreline here was hard rock, unusual for the area, but rendering it of less value to many beach goers. However, it turned out to be ideal for the old money to move to from Bowers Gardens. Now the place is half old money estates, and half richer tourist resort.

Rhodes: Renamed such in honor of the superhero Colosuss, a brick with incredible growing powers and one of the few super heroes to call the city home. Some say the neighborhood residents were just itching to change the name as the old one, Cox Falls, was getting embarrasing, and folks were tired of the jokes. A solid Middle class neighborhood with little sense of pretense about it but a high local loyality, Rhodes has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, crime rate in the city. It has a strong neighborhood watch program. Students in Athens joking refer to Rhodes as "The boring place beyond the river where the dreaded parents dwell".

Riverside: Once a manufacturing center, Riverside has bee re-born as an upscale housing and retail district with a thriving restaurant trade. Many small specialty shops dot the area. One of the more famous is a haberdashery, modern day, called "Oddhats".

I'll work on more as I think of it, but suggestions are welcome.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Working on New Constantinople

Riverside - Once a manufacturing center, Riverside has bee re-born as an upscale housing and retail district with a thriving restaurant trade. Many small specialty shops dot the area.

Crescent- The end stop of a ferry that connects Northway and Argo, Crescent had a colorful past as a home to artists, black marketeers, pawnshops, bars, and houses of ill repute. While the district remains somewhat disreputable, the criminal element and arts community has largely moved on. Crescent continues to attract a fair number of writers and similar undesirables to its remaining residential hotels and loft appartments. Rumors persist that Crescent also houses a number of criminal businesses catering to a white collar clientel too timid to venture into parts of town with a more violent reputation. Paradoxically, Crescent also houses a surprising number of excellent art galleries and showrooms, as well as the New Constantinople Maritime Museum.

Since it's named New Constantinople, you might want to add a predominantly Greek neighborhood. How about have a large influx of Anatolian Greeks during the 1920 Turkish purges (or invent an imaginary earlier purge that causes a mass exodus over the course of a few years in the late 1800s).

Let New Constantinople originally be the sleepy California town (by some other name, maybe even a greek name, that might have attracted the original greek settlers to it)

Then, a large influx of greeks, drawn by the fishing industry opportunities and other aspects of the original town. They start out just like the sicilian immigrants in NY, first they were the lowest wrung, but over time they became established and then later still they became the rock the cummunities power base. They rename it New Constantinople to reflect their hopes and dreams.

Put another couple of neighborhoods with Greek derived names on the north side that go from North Way and connect with Argo(or make Argo a little larger and make it hook farther west towards North Way). Then have Argo, Athens and these one or two other neighborhoods be the historic (or even currently) Greek neighborhoods. Maybe swap Athens and Rhodes position on the map so the neighborhoods are more conituous.

A large Greek orthodox cathedral (New Hagia Sophia?) and other things, and viola, a West Coast city with East Coast feel. A great blend of both worlds.

TB

I like that. Heck' date=' maybe I'll even have it built on some old sutters mill sort of situation (nothing as profitible, but still enough to add history)[/quote']

Yup. You could have the NewCon Gold Rush.

Seriously. I think "New Con" is a good abb. for the city. Sounds like nuke, sounds like Yukon, sounds like U. Conn., etc.

And the strong Greek roots for the city helps make it interesting. Tons of Greek restaurants scattered through the city, all seemingly run by men named George (well, that's the way it's seemed at every Greek rest. I've ever been to!). Maybe even have a regional-and-growing Greek fast-food chain, "Demeter's", aka the "Golden Columns". Titan Towers downtown, Hermes Taxi service, Helen's Boutique, Poseidon shipping, etc.

i kind of like the idea of "a little Ankara" the Turkish quarter plenty of room for confrontation between Greek and Turkish street gangs especially the ex-Cypriot communities. a lot of the Greek community thinks that the Turks want to take over and make the city into new Istanbul

What are the chances you would send up/post the city map without any of the names? I'd like to fold it to fit the East Coast and use the majority of what you have...

If it isn't too much trouble!

You mean this?

No trouble at all, though all I did was google image search the word "constantinople" erase the innards, draw some lines, and flip it horizontally.

The old silver mines of the Argo region can be a great place to set any number of hidden things, from gangs of street children to supervillain (or hero) bases, to lurking monsters. Perhaps they were originally closed not because the silver ran out, but because the miners uncovered something better left buried...

The Athens district really ought to have a prominent hill, nicknamed "the Acropolis." Since this is a predominantly university/college area, the Acropolis would be a great setting for a museum, library, art gallery and similar showcase institutions likely to contain rare and valuable antiquities.

BTW Hermit, you're shaping this to be a very interesting and distinctive town. :thumbup:

Actually, I'd say "We" are shaping it up...

I hope folks don't mind the cut and paste of their suggestions, I'm trying to slip in tips of the hat to the contributers. :)

If anyone does, let me know.

I'm glad you liked Riverside and Crescent; good to see them used. :)

I'm glad you liked Riverside and Crescent; good to see them used. :)

Well, I needed a good Habberdashery. ;)

and besides, they were good ideas.

I'm leaving any present superheroic mentions undone, the better for anyone wanting to use it (including myself) to fill in as they like. Past heroes, of course, are another matter (hence Colossus).

Actually, I'd say "We" are shaping it up...

I hope folks don't mind the cut and paste of their suggestions, I'm trying to slip in tips of the hat to the contributers. :)

If anyone does, let me know.

Don't mind at all, it's pleasure enough for me to see a familiar turn of phrase. ;)

Grayden was historically home to the city’s secondary fish markets and warehouses, with Downshores taking the lion’s share of the shipping business, but this has changed in recent decades. Positioned between Kong Town and Argo and convenient to the trendy restaurants in Riverside, Grayden now boasts the largest fish market in New Constantinople, as well as the popular Grayden Farmer’s Market and several Asian and Greek supermarkets. Connoisseurs insist that the smaller Downshores Fish Market offers a cheaper, fresher catch, and that may be true, but the higher volume in Grayden keeps the two markets competitive. The smell of the fish market and early morning noise (as fish and produce are transported and restaurant buyers pick their stock) has kept land values artificially depressed in Grayden, drawing in a number of high tech firms seeking cheap office space. Several of Grayden’s smaller warehouses have been converted into dace clubs.

Been wondering what to do with Grayden. :)

Is it just me, or is this getting a sort of San Fran meets Portland Oregon meets New Orleans with Greek instead of French influences vibe? :)

It's all that water. :)

Add a river to Ocean access and docks, fish markets, and trade are going to happen. Makes for a very good city location.

Points of Interest

The Bach House A new building with amazingly authentic classical lines, but with ultra modern decadence at every turn. This manor is owned by Dion Bach, professional hedonist and rock star. He is often away on tour, but when he is here, the Bach House is said to be a non stop party where people only get in by invite only. The excesses that occur at his concerts are said to be pale echoes of the wild stuff that goes on here, but any attempts by authorities to investigate it have always come up frustrated. Dion Bach does donate heavily to the art community in New Constantinople, both cutting edge modern art and classic recreation. Should one be lucky enough to enter the mansion, they will be treated to priceless statuary, marble columns, and treasures that many local museums would envy.

Chinono Memorial Museum The Chinono Memorial Museum is a very ungreek looking building, drawing more from the plank house design of Pacific Northwest tribes, complete with paintings of various totemic symbols. The artist hired did a beautiful job, because each of those symbols appears to be grieving, as well they might. Inside one can see what little has been salvaged from old digs, written historical accounts, and recreations. The Chinono are a thing of a past. As the Oregon trail became common to white settlers, not all tribes fared well. While historical accounts vary on the exact details, what can't be disputed is the Chinono were wiped out utterly as a tribe on the very lands where New Constantinople would later spread. Rumors persist that a handful of women were saved by marriage to sympahetic settlers who wanted nothing of the slaughter, but that doesn't change the fact the tribe is no more, and can never be again. Understandibly, this building makes most New Constantinople natives quite uncomfortable. It was constructed in 1985.

"Emperor's Way" Similar to the Champs Elysee in Paris, this wide tree filled road way and bridge is a scenic showcase complete with gardens and stately buildings along its length. Much of it border's Delphi Plaza.

Location: Borders Old City, Riverside, Downshores, and City Central

The Great Colossus of New Constantinople Shortly after Cox Falls choose to honor the local hero with a name change to Rhodes, one city councilman was inspired to recommend a statue of him in the bay itself, reminiscent of the true colossus of Rhodes and the Statue of Liberty. Originally intended to be 100 feet tall, city funds continually fell short, and they almost reduced it to a level that was much smaller than the hero himself could grow. However, private donations were sufficient to salvage the original plan. It is still slow going, however. Two small islands were turned into platform bases for the feet, but as of yet, only the inner frame and outer legs are formed. Work stops at night, during bad weather, or whenever donations dwindle too much. Rumors have it that the feet have been used as a meeting ground by persons unknown.

Location: in the bay between Crescent and North Neighborhoods.

Νέος Sophia The largest Greek Orthodox church for some distance. Intended to be a replica of the Hagia Sophia originally, the temple is both a place for the faithful to come, and non-believers to admire. Priest William Tephlonious is a very busy man as he runs the church, but tries to stay available to any who might want a moment of his time. Despite the bureaucracy, tourism, and other worldly tribulations that vex it, there is no denying the holiness of the area. A super battle years ago between heroes and the Crowns of Krim occurred outside of the Νέος Sophia and the very location made all the difference.

New Constantinople School of Pankration. While there are many fine dojos and martial arts studios of the more standard sort (thanks to Kong Town especially), the NCSP stands out for the unusual art it teaches. Here, the ancient Greek styles of hand to hand fighting are studied, reconstructed, practiced and taught. Some of the moves are truly vicious, and some local groups have protested that the school should be more regulated than it is. The owner and founder, Nicholas Dorcas takes great exception to these accusations seeing them as slurs on his professionalism. Martial Arts enthusiasts who are ever eager to expand their repertoire are just happy to see one of the few places they can learn this style. The lay out of the building is meant to mimic the old Greek schools that taught the same.

Terpsichore's Ask any local who loves to go clubbing which one is the "hottest" and they'll probably say Terpsichore's. Named after the Muse of Dance, this club is quite popular, and known for top notch DJs.

Been wondering what to do with Grayden. :)

Well, you mention some of the old warehouses being converted to dance clubs. Given that the neighborhood isn't high-end these probably aren't the trendiest clubs, but probably inexpensive enough to be popular with many young people. The "hottest" club would just have to be Terpsichore's, after the Muse of Dance.

You could add a bit about the cutting-edge tech firms based in Grayden - that's always useful to a supers setting, particularly if other old warehouses were being used by them, or even converted to laboratory or manufacturing space. I can suggest a few names, in keeping with the Greek theme of New Constantinople: "Zeus Electronics," "Hermes Telecom," "Archimedes Engineering," or "Asclepius Biotech."

Is it just me' date=' or is this getting a sort of San Fran meets Portland Oregon meets New Orleans with Greek instead of French influences vibe? :)[/quote']

It's not just you. :cool:

Well' date=' you mention some of the old warehouses being converted to dance clubs.[/quote']Credit to Oddhat, but I've run out of sneaky homages to him to slip in so that may not have been clear. :)

Given that the neighborhood isn't high-end these probably aren't the trendiest clubs, but probably inexpensive enough to be popular with many young people. The "hottest" club would just have to be Terpsichore's, after the Muse of Dance.

Nice suggestion.

You could add a bit about the cutting-edge tech firms based in Grayden - that's always useful to a supers setting, particularly if other old warehouses were being used by them, or even converted to laboratory or manufacturing space. I can suggest a few names, in keeping with the Greek theme of New Constantinople: "Zeus Electronics," "Hermes Telecom," "Archimedes Engineering," or "Asclepius Biotech."

Those I may put in North Way or City Center. Or I could just spread them around.

It's not just you. :cool: