"Es lebe die Freiheit!"- German Resistance Champions

Hermit

White Rose glances over at the Allied superheroes. None of them look pleased at their situation, Captain Victory, Tigerman, their sidekicks, and of course, White Rose... the only modern German among them, but no Nazi. They are about to be found out at the worst possible time...they could fight their way out, but the plans they just discovered might be changed after, rendering the entire mission useless. It was White Rose who lead them to find those plans, but...

"I have to go out," She announces, blue eyes earnest, "They'll think it's just one underground German renegade in tights. I'll lead them away, and they'll never even know the rest of you were here."

"I don't like that plan, young lady..." Captain Victory frowns, "Now, maybe we can..."

"Too late," White Rose smiles sadly, and lowers the portcullis between them with a slam, "Now go, all of you." She twists, and pauses, before blowing Charlemagne a kiss with tearful and incredibly blue eyes, and then heads into the main hall below ...

the sound of gunfire below almost causes Charlemagne to cry out her name

But a hand on his shoulder stills him, "She's forced our hands, and possibly saved the mission. Let's get moving up through the tower ..." And they rush with the plans that may make success for the troops possible

Months later, her execution would be reported on Reich Radio. She told her interrogators NOTHING.

The above was a flashback for an immortal character in a HERO Central game. It was made on the fly, but I am posting it here to set the mood a bit.

I was wondering how you'd go about setting up a Golden Age Champions game from the perspective of German Superheroes who resisted the Nazis from within Germany. While I doubt I'll have time to start such a campaign, I can't help but consider it.

It turns out, at least according to Wikipedia (which I know, must always be taken with caution) that there were several sources for possible resistance that might make a good back ground for a superhero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Resistance

Even if I don't use this as a campaign basis, it might also be neat, should I do another time travel tale (I can hear my players crying even now) for them to meet the resistance. Maybe a few would even be descended from them.

So NPC suggestions or ideas are also welcome.

Trite as it might be, I figure that any German Superheroes in the resistance would be countered by an overwhelming number of Nazi supers. This might help explain why they don't just fly in and rip Hitler's head off. ;) Of course, they also just might not be that powerful.

Complicating the fact for the Super Resistance- If I am correct, Hitler and the Nazis were pretty popular with many of the Germans and any masked rebels would be seen as villains.

Still, there are numerous niches in WW2 German society that a hero with the right mix of power, knowledge, and conscience might spring forth from. Be it German aristocracy, Christians who could not reconcile their faith with the reality of Nazi Germany, students who did not fall in line with Hitler Youth, or military men who saw how badly the war was going, any might make good sources for origin background.

In a nut shell, be it ideas for characters, suggestions for campaign guidelines, or just your two cents, I'd be interested.

Re: "Es lebe die Freiheit!"- German Resistance Champions

Neat idea, Herm. I've been reading quite a bit about Nazi Germany lately so I think it'd it would be a natural for a WW2 Champions campaign.

I'd call the team White Rose in honor of its first martyr and to honor the real life White Rose group who were murdered by the Nazis for passing out anti-Nazi literature.

Neat idea, Herm. I've been reading quite a bit about Nazi Germany lately so I think it'd it would be a natural for a WW2 Champions campaign.

I'd call the team White Rose in honor of its first martyr and to honor the real life White Rose group who were murdered by the Nazis for passing out anti-Nazi literature.

Thanks!

And yes, good catch, the character was originally named White Rose just for that reason as homage to the real deal.

While I'm a dabbler in history, any of you hard core history buffs with more input and angles are more than encouraged to give a few ideas. Mind you, like most 'superhero universes' somethings would deviate from true history so that masked heroes make sense etc and superpowers (at least low level ones) are taken into account.

There also might be Kommunist Party members in that resistance.

The Nazis cracked down pretty hard on them, but they were a force to be reckoned with before .......

(The original Weiße Rose Resistance Group was active from 1942 to early 1943 in Munich)

One of my favorite campaigns was a WW2 Golden Age Champions game. Course, we ran it with North American heroes (I was the token Canadian) dealing with Axis saboteurs in North America & stopping Nazis hunting for occult artifacts. It'd be interesting seeing it from the German resistance POV.

Would you want the character as all German resistance members?

One of my favorite campaigns was a WW2 Golden Age Champions game. Course, we ran it with North American heroes (I was the token Canadian) dealing with Axis saboteurs in North America & stopping Nazis hunting for occult artifacts. It'd be interesting seeing it from the German resistance POV.

Would you want the character as all German resistance members?

I would think it would be best if 90% of them were German citizens, yes. Though, if they did start to get organized, I can see Churchill or some other big wig among the allies sending a superhero from one of the Allied nations to help them coordinate or act as a go between.

How about taking a chapter from the American pulps, and using a German "mystery man" crimefighter? Germany between the wars was pretty wide-open and decadent, with plenty of incentive for someone to fight crime outside the law. As an outsider he probably would oppose the increasingly totalitarian activities of the Nazi regime.

Also inspired by the pulps, perhaps a German "Doc Savage?" A scientist attempts to breed the perfect Aryan superman, and when the Nazi regime learns of his experiment they take the boy in, giving him the finest education and physical training, to make him the embodiment and public symbol of their ideals. However, they succeed too well; their superman is not only physically and intellectually superior, but also morally superior, and can't support or condone the Nazi's philosophy or practices.

Ja ther is that duo in M & M.

And the name of the female member was similiar to the Heroine mentioned in the Fluff.

There was a german variant of Doc Savage.

Sun Koh.

Oddhat has a lot about him in the Pulp Section I think.

(Can somebody tell me how to attach a Heromaker file to my posts ? Because I build someone for something similiar once.)

How about taking a chapter from the American pulps, and using a German "mystery man" crimefighter? Germany between the wars was pretty wide-open and decadent, with plenty of incentive for someone to fight crime outside the law. As an outsider he probably would oppose the increasingly totalitarian activities of the Nazi regime.

It certainly sparks the imagination, thanks. :)

Also inspired by the pulps, perhaps a German "Doc Savage?" A scientist attempts to breed the perfect Aryan superman, and when the Nazi regime learns of his experiment they take the boy in, giving him the finest education and physical training, to make him the embodiment and public symbol of their ideals. However, they succeed too well; their superman is not only physically and intellectually superior, but also morally superior, and can't support or condone the Nazi's philosophy or practices.

The old 'our creation has turned against us' classic with a twist. Interesting. Whoever ended up being in 'second place' and only got used because this guy refused it would make a good hunted/enemy.

Then there's the escaped concentration camp experimental subject. If the Germans have a super soldier program it makes sense that in the earlier stages they'd test at least elements of it on expendable human subjects before moving on to valuable soldiers. While it would be dumb to do soemthing to a camp inmate that might give him or her powers, they did dumber things in real life and the initial odds would probably be low.

The Golem of course is Austrian, but close enough. Still part of Greater Germany.

Then there are the occultists. While the Thule society started out as early inspiration in the genesis of the Nazi party, eventually all such secret societies were surpressed. The Germans would probably have an interest in magic that actually worked, they'd certainly want a monopoly on it and any independant secret society practising it would be verboten.

Lastly of course super-soldiers might at some point decide to try to eliminate Hitler before he led the nation to destruction. Unlike the real life Operation Valkyrie a super-soldier might be able to survive the collapse of the plan.

{...}

Even if I don't use this as a campaign basis, it might also be neat, should I do another time travel tale (I can hear my players crying even now) for them to meet the resistance. Maybe a few would even be descended from them.

{...}

I wonder why... ;)

Speedzone already wants to change Captain Chronos' name to 'reynolds wrap' -- and that was before you dropped the bombshell about Tim's Grandmother being a Nazi super (albeit an unwilling one)...

Focus is still trying to untangle his brain over his little 'sidetrip'...

Then there are the occultists. While the Thule society started out as early inspiration in the genesis of the Nazi party, eventually all such secret societies were surpressed. The Germans would probably have an interest in magic that actually worked, they'd certainly want a monopoly on it and any independant secret society practising it would be verboten.

If I recall correctly, that was part of Hellboy's origin, right?

Were the White Rose those guys who were dropping leaflets from the balcony of The Uni on Leopoldstraße when the SS broke in and hauled them all off?

Basically yes.

They were denounced by a Univerity-Employee.

The SS part came later.

(I live in Munich too)

Here is the Hawk (der Falke ).

Paul Kurz was the Son of a Archeologist. He grew up in Egypt and the eastern Desert. He learned the lay of the Land and could speak the local Languages passingly. Shortly before the start of the War, when Paul was doing his required military Service his father send him a parcel of a Object he had discovered for safekeeping.

Paul kept the package close but he discovered soon that somebody was trying to get it.

A fight ensued and something happened. Two fractions started trading mystical blasts with Paul in the middle. Paul was caught by one of the blasts

and there was a odd light effect.

Not realy hurt Paul clobbered both fighters and tried to run away to get help,suddenly he discovered that he was several meters above the ground...

One of his Attackers turned out to be a member of the Thule Society that had tried to harness the mystical Power of the Object Pauls Father had discovered. ( The second person was never really identified.)

Paul handed the Object to the military ( unfortunatley its Power had been depleted) and claimed that nothing had really happened to him.

He used his flying power only sparsly in the beginning but started to investigate what had happened.

In time he learned what had happened to several Jews and outspoken Critics of the Party, but he was in the Army and had to be cautious.

He served quitely during the Invasion of France and the Attack on Greece

A lot of things changed when he was recruited by the Abwehr and was send to northern Africa to observe the progress of the Italian Army. Of course he was made an Officer.

Then came Rommel and the Africa Korps and the first allied Paranormals appeard in Tobruk, somebody had to turn the tide.

Paul donned a mask and started to help his Countrymen.

Then he discovered more about what had happened to his father and Pauls doubts were finally confirmed. Unfortunatley the Ally`s already knew he was one of the „Superaryans“ and he had trouble switching sides but he started going a lot more easy on his enemys........

But his Heart was not in it anymore, contemplating going AWOL he finally asked the Leader he admired most: Rommel.

The Fieldmarshal persuaded him to stay and help Germany.

(The Allied demands of unconditional surrender and the start of the russian advance galvaniated a lot of Germans into fighting harder....)

In 1944 he was recruited by Admiral Canaris to help getting finally rid of the Führer.

Unfortunatley he was in France when Staufenberg had a Chance to kill Hitler and blew up the Wolfsschanze.

He was killed trying to defend Rommel.

(This Guy is a Npc. He was the Granddad of a PC, he was scheduled to appear in a Time Travel Adventure.He might need a few Contacts and a couple of Grenades to be more dangerous.)

Here is the Hawk (der Falke ).

Paul Kurz was the Son of a Archeologist. He grew up in Egypt and the eastern Desert. He learned the lay of the Land and could speak the local Languages passingly. Shortly before the start of the War, when Paul was doing his required military Service his father send him a parcel of a Object he had discovered for safekeeping.

Paul kept the package close but he discovered soon that somebody was trying to get it.

A fight ensued and something happened. Two fractions started trading mystical blasts with Paul in the middle. Paul was caught by one of the blasts

and there was a odd light effect.

Not realy hurt Paul clobbered both fighters and tried to run away to get help,suddenly he discovered that he was several meters above the ground...

One of his Attackers turned out to be a member of the Thule Society that had tried to harness the mystical Power of the Object Pauls Father had discovered. ( The second person was never really identified.)

Paul handed the Object to the military ( unfortunatley its Power had been depleted) and claimed that nothing had really happened to him.

He used his flying power only sparsly in the beginning but started to investigate what had happened.

In time he learned what had happened to several Jews and outspoken Critics of the Party, but he was in the Army and had to be cautious.

He served quitely during the Invasion of France and the Attack on Greece

A lot of things changed when he was recruited by the Abwehr and was send to northern Africa to observe the progress of the Italian Army. Of course he was made an Officer.

Then came Rommel and the Africa Korps and the first allied Paranormals appeard in Tobruk, somebody had to turn the tide.

Paul donned a mask and started to help his Countrymen.

Then he discovered more about what had happened to his father and Pauls doubts were finally confirmed. Unfortunatley the Ally`s already knew he was one of the „Superaryans“ and he had trouble switching sides but he started going a lot more easy on his enemys........

But his Heart was not in it anymore, contemplating going AWOL he finally asked the Leader he admired most: Rommel.

The Fieldmarshal persuaded him to stay and help Germany.

(The Allied demands of unconditional surrender and the start of the russian advance galvaniated a lot of Germans into fighting harder....)

In 1944 he was recruited by Admiral Canaris to help getting finally rid of the Führer.

Unfortunatley he was in France when Staufenberg had a Chance to kill Hitler and blew up the Wolfsschanze.

He was killed trying to defend Rommel.

(This Guy is a Npc. He was the Granddad of a PC, he was scheduled to appear in a Time Travel Adventure.He might need a few Contacts and a couple of Grenades to be more dangerous.)

Very cool. Thanks, Black Ops.

Also inspired by the pulps' date=' perhaps a German "Doc Savage?" A scientist attempts to breed the perfect Aryan superman, and when the Nazi regime learns of his experiment they take the boy in, giving him the finest education and physical training, to make him the embodiment and public symbol of their ideals. However, they succeed too well; their superman is not only physically and intellectually superior, but also [b']morally[/b] superior, and can't support or condone the Nazi's philosophy or practices.

I had a character like this once. Born & raised in Stalin's USSR. One of the "one in 25,000,000" capable of great mental powers. So she was raised by the state with everything set so her power could be awakened at (very late) puberty. 2 months before her 17th, they fired up the McGuffin device.

She develops telepathy first, finds out what kind of people are running Russia, and waits until she gets TK. Then she RUNS for it!

Great background; I had lots of fun with her. :D

Wisent

Heinrich Breker, born 1888 in Königsberg, had served in WWI. In France he had been wounded, but he survived. After the war he resumed his life as a farm worker in Eastern Prussia. His employer had a small herd of wisents, European bisons, and was dedicated to save them from extinction. Heinrich loved these animals and cared well for them.

One summer night in 1924, when Heinrich was working late hours in the barn, he heard a spine-chilling howl. Heinrich immediately ran outside to see what was going on. The wisent bull, the centre of their breeding, program lay wounded on the ground; some large, gray animal biting away chunks of flesh from him. Heinrich grabbed a shovel and tried to attack the wolf-like creature. The monster just slashed out with its paws and severely injured him, then he was bitten in the chest. The last thing he heard was a shot from a shotgun.

When Heinrich awoke, he was still lying near the wisent bull. A woman was kneeling at his side, chanting in an unknown language. Her name was Olga Chapyulenko, a Ukrainian witch on a hunt for a werewolf. With her powers she bonded the life-force of the wisent to Heinrich's. Along with the infection from the werewolf, which she was only able to heal partially, this ritual bestowed supernatural powers on the farm worker.

Heinrich was back on his feet within a few weeks and grew stronger and stronger. He discovered that he was able to transform into a human-wisent form at will, even in daylight, had a rapid healing factor and needed only 2-3 hours of sleep a day. Only under a full moon he transformed involuntarily. Sadly, the attack destroyed all dreams of successfully breeding wisents. The last cows from that herd died in 1929.

With his new powers, he took on a lot of jobs and was able to become a quite wealthy man by the mid-30s.

Heinrich was not a political man. He had never been in the Party and did not share their ideology. But also he did nothing to actively oppose them. That changed in 1940, when he discovered that Olga Chapyulenko had been shot by the SS. Heinrich decided it was time to stand up against the regime.