'Magic Missile' style spell in a VPP with modifiers

Narf the Mouse

Re: 'Magic Missile' style spell in a VPP with modifiers

Well, considering I'm making it for games I run... :D

Ok, thanks...But that would still require linked, so you couldn't get a 'magic' OCV bonus to other attacks by casting 'magic missile'.

I'm pretty sure you could do it legally with a Compound Power and 5 pt OCV levels.

another thing to ramp up the accuracy is No Range Mod or Line of Sight. Magic Missile type spells are often written up to exploit advantage stacking. You might consider shifting from an EB to a low DC RKA.

What Active Point limit are you looking at?

I prefer the advantage "no normal evasion" or "always hits," in which the attack becomes a stun-only attack and the power must be defined with a way to avoid the attack, but never misses. No attack roll is needed, but you still have to have a direct line of attack (it doesn't become indirect).

This is a +1 advantage, and to make it do body damage is an additional +1. Combining with autofire requires an additional +1 advantage to autofire because it is an unusual attack.

If you can have NNDs without breaking the game, this works, too.

Magic Missle: RKA 1d6K, Penetrating x2, Autofire (5), 0 END, No Range Modifier, AoE One Hex - Accurate. 75 Active Points.

For when you absolutely, positively need to snipe a motorscooter.

pretty much the same way I'd have done it, with the possible exception of swapping out one level of Pen for Extra Stun Mods, because I'm a munchkin that way...

Here is a version of the spell that my Champions Mage has used:

Magic Missile: RKA 2d6, Reduced END (½ END; +¼), AOE Accurate (One Hex; +½), Penetrating (x2; +1); OAF (Staff; -1), No KB (-¼), Incantations (-¼), Limited Range (16"; -¼) (82 Active Points) (30 Real Points).

Of course you can change out the RKA 2d6 for an EB 6d6 and get the same basic effect. The double Penetrating pretty much guarantees that it will do some real damage vs. just about any foe.

Here are several versions I have posted before:

Here's a version of the harder way :D

32 Magic Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; only affects accuracy of selective AOE range; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1), Autofire (5 shots; +1 1/2), Area Of Effect (10" Radius; effective range of multiple missiles; +1 1/4), Selective (+1/4) (97 Active Points); 5 Charges (-3/4), Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) - END=[5]

edited:

and a complete d20 version conversion:

15 Magic Missile - 9th Level Caster: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6-1, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; Accuracy Of Selective; +1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), No Normal Defense (Magic Resistance; +1), Does BODY (+1), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; 1 Selective 1 Hex Accurate Missile Per Charge; +1), Selective (+1/4), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (72 Active Points); Limited Power (Living Targets Only; -1), 5 Charges (-3/4), Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (-1/4) - END=[5]

9 Magic Missile - 1st Level Caster: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6-1, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; Accuracy Of Selective; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Magic Resistance; +1), Does BODY (+1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; 1 Selective 1 Hex Accurate Missile Per Charge; +1), Selective (+1/4) (57 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Limited Power (Living Targets Only; -1), Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Range (-1/4) - END=[1]

Mystic Missile

The basic build I go with is:

Energy Blast xd6 (vs. NND)

* Lingering up to 1 Turn (+1/2)

* Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Accurate (+0),

* No Range Modifier (+1/2)

* Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2)

* No Normal Defense (Shield Spell and Magics based on it, [Force] effects) Standard (+1)

* Does BODY (+1)

; 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase, -3/4), Concentration 1/2 DCV (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)