Marvel Super Friends

Kap

Re: Marvel Super Friends

This is a great question! I loved the various Super Friends cartoons as a child in the 70s' date=' especially [i']Challenge of the Superfriends[/i]. And the restrictions against violence in those cartoons, which ultimately caused me to lose interest in them in the 80s, now allows me to share these with my 5 year old daughter. I DVR'd Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends for her, too, and she really liked that as well, especially Firestar and Storm (who makes a couple of guest appearances with the X-Men).

To respond directly to the question, I think that Spider-Man, Hulk and Captain America would have been slam dunk inclusions in any 1970s Marvel version of Super Friends. They were by far the most famous Marvel super heroes back then, in my memoiry anyway. For gender and racial diversity (paralleling Super Freinds), I would suggest that Firestar and Storm might be good options. Same with Power Man and Iron Fist.

That being said, the Fantastic Four were much more high profile back then in the Marvel Pantheon. I could easily see any of them being included, too. Iron Man was always one of my favorite characters and would be a great addition. But my memory is that he was sort of a 'second string' character back then (as was Daredevil).

Good, thoughtful answer. I think Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, and Captain America would have been the first three Marvel characters drafted. I go back and forth on who I think would fill the Robin "youth" slot and the Wonder Woman "girl" slot. Would they dare use Bucky in the Robin slot? It would make more sense than Rick Jones, at least to me. Marvin and Wendy could stay as-is, same later with the Wonder Twins. I think those two slots I mentioned are the hardest to fill due to Marvel's lack of sidekicks and popular heroines.

Marvel would seem to have a leg up on D.C. when it comes to the Challenge of the Super Friends "diversity" slots. The animators probably could have drafted comic book heroes instead of having to make up characters for the cartoon, as Marvel had more prominent "ethnic" characters to choose from.

One thing a lot of responders haven't seemed to consider is the visual aspect: some characters might make the cut just because of their color schemes or the visuals their powers bring to the cartoon, i.e., I read that's why Aquaman and later Hawkman and Green Lantern were selected.

--Kap

I'd like to bring back up the Falcon as a conceivable Robin. Wasn't he first introduced in the comics as basically a new sidekick for Captain America?

You're right, I should have thought of that angle. I'm not sure if she debuted early enough, maybe one of you can tell me, but perhaps the original Ms. Marvel could fill the "girl" slot?

You're right' date=' I should have thought of that angle. I'm not sure if she debuted early enough, maybe one of you can tell me, but perhaps the original Ms. Marvel could fill the "girl" slot?[/quote']

1977 for the Ms. Marvel superhero ID, though the character herself first appeared in the late '60s.

Would they dare use Bucky in the Robin slot? It would make more sense than Rick Jones' date=' at least to me. Marvin and Wendy could stay as-is, same later with the Wonder Twins. [/quote']

Actually, I think some version of Rick Jones and his Teen Brigade would be a much better fill for the Wendy and Marvin slot. Could handle a lot of the diversity issue as well.

I can't see them going with Bucky.