Barrier Question

Lollypopalopicus

Question

Hello.

Just a question on barriers with the one way transparent advantage. (and to in a sense, some other advantages as a whole). If someone buys the advantage, and then makes a barrier, do they have to use that advantage every time. Say I buy a +1 One way transparent, so I can shoot out, while still being protected. However, later I want to englobe an enemy. Do I have to apply the advantage, making it so they can still fire out? Or can I simply say that I am making a non-transparent barrier with that use.

Also, in the same vein, can you buy One way transparent twice, once for each direction, for a total of +2, and then choose which direction you want it to be in each time?

Also, thanks for answering my last question.

1 answer to this question

The rules specify that you always have to use an Advantage on a power; you can't "turn it off" or choose not to use it. (Adders are different; you can choose to use them or not.) This is one reason for the rules on "naked Advantages," which allow you to not use an Advantage if you don't want to. And of course you can appeal to the GM's common sense, dramatic sense, and game balance sense for a ruling in your favor on this issue. Speaking only for myself, I would probably have no trouble ruling, "When you englobe targets, the Transparent does not apply to your Barrier" -- though I would still make you pay the END cost for the Advantage. ;)