Champions Now Character Build Thread

Pattern Ghost

In case you missed it, Champions Now is a new project that's doing a Kickstarter. This thread is for posting character builds using the Champions Now playtest document. I don't have time in the near future to do a playtest, but maybe by playing with builds and letting the designers see what we are building based off their document, we can help out a little.

Relevant Links:

The Champions Now Kickstarter announcement thread:

https://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/97079-retro-edition-ks-announced/?tab=comments#comment-2656292

The Champions Now Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herogames/champions-now?ref=video

The Champions Now Playtest PDF. IMPORTANT: Builds posted here should follow these rules/guidelines.

http://adeptplay.com/sites/default/files/Champions Now playtest.pdf

I'd like the thread to just stick to build discussions. I think the creators want to keep actual playtest and other feedback contained in a location of their choosing.

First build, a vigilante type:

Concerned Citizen

20 STR 10 [4 END]
24 DEX 42
20 CON 20
15 BDY 10
13 INT 03
11 EGO 02
15 PRE 05
10 COM 00
08 PD  04
08 ED  04
05 SPD 16
08 REC 00
40 END 00
35 STN 00
      ----

Powers & Skills

62 VPP: Weapons Cache
12 VPP Control, OAF (-1), Must Change at Base (-1/2)
20 Martial Arts
16 Armor +8PD/+8ED, OIF Armored Costume (-1/2)
03 Flash Defense, OIF Mask Lenses (-1/2)
03 IR Vision, OIF Mask Lenses (-1/2)
10 Find Weakness
05 Stealth
03 +1 w/Find Weakness (or Stealth if not allowed?)
---

Char 116 + Powers/Skills 134 = 250 = 100 Base + 150 Disadvantages

Disadvantages:

-10 Enraged when children threatened Unusual, 11-/14-
-25 DNPC Bereaved Wife Incompetent, Constantly
-15 Secret ID
-30 Hunted, Organized Crime Syndicate (The Campaign City's Mob), Organization, Extensive Resources, Ruinous
-30 Hunted, Viper, Organization, Superhuman resources, Manipulative
-20 Psych Limit: Distrusts Local Authorities, believes all are corrupt and/or inept at higher levels (but respects police other "front line" protectors) , Frequently, Intense
-20 Psych Limit: PTSD over death of child, Rarely, Meltdown
----

Appearance:

Wears an armored body suit with carriers for various weapons, ammunition and devices. His colors are digital urban camouflage. He has a full face mask that's blank with a single eye drawn on it in a style reminiscent of a Neighborhood Watch sign. He's armed with a variety of weapons .

Background:

James Jordan was living the American Dream with a high-paying job as an actuary for a large multinational corporation, a lovely young wife and a young son. Until his neighbor, close friend, and coworker in Accounting, Dave, discovered said corporation's organized crime ties. James and his wife Emma watched as their son died in the same retaliatory explosion that killed Dave and his children. The Jordans had a nervous breakdown and near split, their lives and marriage torn asunder. Emma found solace in self medication and retreated inward. James trained.

Powers/Abilities:

James doesn't have any investigation skills as yet, but he has trained extensively in martial arts and gunfighting with top trainers from around the country. He has been working his way through both the Mob's and Viper's local forces, and has amassed a variety of weapons of the mundane and exotic variety, which he keeps in various caches. He has become a thorn in the side of the Mob, but his "successes" with Viper have only lead to him becoming their pawn. He's been an excellent field tester for their weapons and devices, and has taken down quite a bit of their local competition. Fortunately, he segregates his caches by source, and keeps none of the tech at his home base, so Viper still hasn't been unable to uncover his secret ID.

Personality:

James can be intense, and take his frustration out on criminals, but he steadfastly refuses to sink to their level. He prefers to use non-lethal or less-lethal force where possible.

Note: I didn't take a VPP Skill b/c CC can't change powers in combat, which is what the skill covers. I'm not sure if the skill is mandatory or not despite this limitation. If it's mandatory, simply drop Stealth and insert a VPP Control Skill there.

Note: Not sure if FW can be bought up here. The summary for it states 'Fixed roll 11-.'  I'm thinking this could be an intentional cap to prevent power creep.

And now for the first member of the WW II team, Strike Force Liberty, their team leader and brick:

Liberty-Star.jpg.79507d23f866f2fc990518897c272c1b.jpg

Liberty Star

60 STR 50 [12 END]
18 DEX 24
40 CON 60
10 BDY 00
15 INT 05
15 EGO 10
25 PRE 15
20 COM 05
30 PD  18
20 ED  12
04 SPD 12
20 REC 00
80 END 00
60 STN 00
     -------------

Powers & Skills:

15 Damage Resistance 15 PD
15 Damage Resistance 10 ED
24 12" Flight [5 END]
06 -4" Knockback
08 +1 Level with Hand to Hand Combat
03 +1 Level with PRE Rolls (15-)
---

Char 179 + Powers/Skills 71 = 250 = 100 Base + 150 Disadvantages

Disadvantages:

-15 Physical Limitation: Compelled to follow the Light of Liberty, In certain situations, Debilitating/Negating
-10 Public ID
-15 Unusual Looks 14-, Beautiful, famous actress, instantly recognizable globally
-10 Psych: Super Patriotic, rarely, intense
-35 Hunted: The 3rd Reich, Organization, Superpowers, Ruinous
-25 Hunted: Herr Gehirn, Individual, Superpowers, Ruinous
-20 Psych: Seeks Peaceful Resolution/Offers Parlay/Surrender to Opponents, Happens a lot, intense
-10 Susceptibility to Substance X*, Unusual
-10 Dependent NPC, Martha White (best friend/former USO superior), Normal, Occasional
----

Background:

Nancy Langford was a rising starlet whose image already adorned many a GI's locker and more than one airplane when she decided to join the war effort. She enlisted as a nurse under her given name, Nancy Morena, and spent time near the front in field hospitals. Her identity was soon discovered, and she was pressured into going to work for the USO, boosting the troop's morale instead of tending their wounds. Surprisingly, she found the work satisfying and became fast friends with her superior, Martha.

One night, after a particularly brutal battle involving Herr Gehirn's robowarriors, she dived back in to her nursing role, working through the long night triaging those maimed in the offensive. Through the night, Herr Gehirn's forces advanced on what was formerly a rear area. Defiantly, Nancy stayed her post. In the darkest hour before dawn, she was struck with the Light of Liberty, granting her vast power and renewed energy. The Light shone over the battlefield. Her course was clear. . ,

Powers/Abilities:

Nancy is a natural leader and a natural tactician. She leads her team from the front, with strategically-placed strikes of overwhelming force, drawing fire on herself to protect her teammates.

*Substance X is the radioactive substance that powers Herr Gehir's robotic body. (He's a brain in a jar,  mad science type.)

One more before I catch some Zzzs. The team archer:

Agincourt.jpg.522fd986ce0ef5c16a61ba2f0bb651af.jpg

Agincourt

15 STR 05 [3 END]
26 DEX 48
18 CON 16
13 BDY 06
18 INT 08
12 EGO 04
18 PRE 08
14 COM 02
08 PD  05
08 ED  04
06 SPD 24
07 REC 00
36 END 00
30 STN 00
          ---------

Powers & Skills:

23 Multipower: Bow & Arrows, 45 Active Points, All Powers OAF (-1)    

04m Broadheads: 2d6KA, Ranged (+1/2) [9 END]

04m Bolo Arrows: 4D6 Entangle [8 END]

04m Smoke Arrows: Darkness, 4" Radius [8 END]

15 Martial Arts
10 Find Weakness
12 Armor +6PD/+6ED, OIF Chainmail Costume (-1/2)
10 Acrobatics
20 +2 Universal Levels
05 Swinging 10", OAF Grapple Arrow & Line (-1)
05 Climbing
05 Stealth

03 +1 to Sight PER
---

Char 130 + Powers/Skills 120 = 250 = 100 Base + 150 Disadvantages

Disadvantages:

-15 Vulnerable to Gas Attacks
-20 Psych: Has to prove himself a worth hero to the people/hyper competitive, Happens a Lot, Intense
-15 Secret ID
-20 Enraged when civilians threatened, Common, 14-/11-
-20 Psych: Overconfident, Happens a Lot, Intense
----

Background:

Agincourt is an experienced commando turned French Resistance fighter. He prefers a bow, and being of both English and French descent, earned his nickname. Upon joining Strike Force Liberty, he went full in on this, adopting modern, but Medieval-looking chain armor. His lungs were damaged by mustard gas, leaving him weak against any further gas attacks.

Powers/Tactics:

Agincourt alternates between swashbuckling and skulking in the shadows as needed, taking full advantage of his mobility skills.

Note: Hopefully, I'm interpreting the MP rules correctly here.

Edit: Noticed I overpriced his Martial Arts by 5, move the pts to ED and +1 Sight PER.

Edit 2: I overlooked the change to RKA: This edition it's supposed to be bought as a KA with the Ranged Advantage rather than its own thing. Unfortunately, the doc doesn't list the cost for Ranged, so I'm going with the +1/2 value from other editions for now. So, I just dropped the AP for Ranged.

56 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

How hard were they to build? I’m guessing this is why it’s called Champions Now. Quick char gen to get into the action.

Pretty easy, except for Disadvantages. I always hated coming up with 150 pts worth. There are less types than in 4th edition and above, too. Missing things like Rivalries, Reputations and other social limitations.

I think the rules encourage simple builds, without stacking up a lot of limitations on powers, so that's the approach I'm trying to take.

56 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Ps - enjoyed the screen shots. Where you get them? 

I'm using screenshots of my Champions Online characters for these. These are from the character select screen, which shows the character on a rooftop in Millennium City, which is why the backgrounds are all the same.

20 minutes ago, assault said:

With this version, you should always include END costs.

That's true, but since these were done in Notepad instead of HD, and during a bout of insomnia, I took the lazy way out. :D

I'll update 'em in a bit, so they're more useful sheets. Thanks for the heads up.

I think the idea is that while END is important, the creators also don't want you to try to build around it, either. So, I didn't make any real effort to make the characters END efficient. (Although Liberty Star has a high CON, but that decision was driven more toward making her tough, plus pumping her STUN, but not spending points on secondary defenses so that she needs the support of her team. Plus, I like very high CON bricks; 40 seems much more super than 25 or 30.)

ETA: Concerned Citizen doesn't really have anything on sheet that costs END, though  I may go back and write up his default VPP setting. Agincourt is going to be using 8 or 9 END per Archery attack, but with his lower defenses will be burning phases on aborting to defensive maneuvers most likely, so he should be OK on END as long as he isn't going all out offense. Liberty Star doesn't have any END using powers, and should be OK with her lower SPD and high END/REC, burning 12 END per phase on STR use. Even so, I think they'd all start to run out of steam if a battle dragged on for an extended period, which I think is the rules intent.

What the creators want and what happens aren't the same! ?

Someone is going to run the numbers sometime, so it might as well be right at the beginning.

Unfortunately I messed up when I made my first attempt at working things out.

My current opinion is that mid-turn recoveries are going to be a thing. Naturally that will result in tactics to disrupt them. It's not too hard to build a character than can fight for a single turn without having to take one, but stretching it out for two requires some serious CON and REC.

Liberty Star looks like quite a powerful character in this environment - except against characters that use weird attacks.

It looks like it could be quite a tactical game - and you should always bring a friend with you.

9 minutes ago, assault said:

What the creators want and what happens aren't the same! ?

Well, I'm trying to stay in the spirit of things. I did take an attack Multi on my archer despite the author's stated dislike for such, but the APs are low and it's only three slots, so hardly abusive, IMO.

11 minutes ago, assault said:

My current opinion is that mid-turn recoveries are going to be a thing.

I think so too. Not a bad thing. Good excuse to buy old style Regeneration, too!

12 minutes ago, assault said:

Liberty Star looks like quite a powerful character in this environment - except against characters that use weird attacks.

Yeah, that was the intent. I haven't done an overall team write up yet, but the concept is that the team formed around her (hence the name) because she's no match for a well-prepared mad scientist (Herr Gehir).

Next up, every Golden Age team needs a mystery man with weird powers:

Mister-Midnight.jpg.66c122615669629570303e83d8566f00.jpg

Mister Midnight

25 STR 15 [5 END]
24 DEX 42
23 CON 26
15 BDY 10
10 INT 00
11 EGO 02
15 PRE 05
10 COM 00
15 PD  10
15 ED  10
05 SPD 16
10 REC 00
46 END 00
40 STN 00
      ------------

Powers & Skills:

15 EC: Shadow Powers
06 a) Shadow Aura: +30 PRE, Offense Only (-1), Costs END (-1/2) [6 END]
15 b) Shadow Step: 15" Teleportation  [6 END]
25 c) Become Living Shadow: Desolidification [8 END]
12 Shadow Shroud: Armor +4PD/+4ED
25 Martial Arts
06 Ego Defense +6
05 Enhanced Senses: Infrared Vision
05 Stealth
---

Char 130 + Powers/Skills 120 = 250 = 100 Base + 150 Disadvantages

Disadvantages:

-30 Hunted: Mystical Cabal, Organization, Superpowers, Manipulative
-25 Berserk when Seriously Injured, common, 14-/11-
-15 Secret ID
-05 Psych: Merciless Combatant, Rarely, Opinionated
-15 Vulnerability: Light-based attacks, Common
----

Background:

Jack Stanford was a cargo pilot flying over a remote area of the Himalayas when his plane went down in a storm. Injured and weak from the accident, he became easy prey for a beast from the Shadowlands that had escaped a cult of monks who had summoned it to siphon its powers to bolster their warriors' strength. The monks caught up with the shadow beast just before it delivered the coup de grace to Jack. Honor demanded they fix their mistake, but the only way to do so was to bond Jack to the beast. . .

Powers/Tactics:

Mister Midnight is bonded with a beast from the Shadowlands, a realm of death and darkness some believe to be a version of the afterlife. He's able to contain the beast, but if he's seriously injured the beast will temporarily take control despite the binding rituals on it, as its survival instincts kick in. Although Jack's powers are shadow-based, he lacks Darkness, because his sole focus is on keeping the darkness contained. Nevertheless, in combat he exudes an aura of shadow that both protects him and strikes fear into his enemies. He's also capable of stepping through the Shadowlands and coming out in a different location in our world and turning into a living shadow, becoming intangible. Jack believes in the creed of striking first, striking hard, and showing no mercy to his enemies, and has the hunter's instincts of the shadowbeast. This often leads to friction with Liberty Star and Citizen Arcane.

Notes: I really had to bend this character's concept a lot to fit him into the point limit in this version of the system. The concept was initially a bricky, high stat martial artist with a few flavor shadow powers. He was supposed to have a fear/DCV aura (+PRE and +DCV levels) and a short teleport (8-10"), with Regen and somewhat higher physical stats. Under the playtest rules, Teleport is 30 pts/15",  which I take as the minimum buy in, unlike other movement powers, and DCV levels aren't a thing (and I didn't want to buy them as another type of skill level with a Limitation tacked on, since that type of thing isn't explicit in the rules). I could drop the Desolid and buy up some more STR/CON and the Regen probably, but the Desolid seemed like a better choice for just going all out defense when needed.

Edit: Noticed I forgot to put Costs END on the extra PRE to qualify it for the EC. Did that and put the point saved into Ego Defense.

23 minutes ago, MattyHelms23 said:

Yeah, I'm more excited about simultaneously coming up with the story, disadvantages, and powers rather than just calculating stats.

I was playing old FASERIP Marvel when I was in the Army in the 80's, and one of our group members had Champions 3rd Edition. When I looked at it, it was a revelation. We were a RP heavy group. When I saw Champions, I didn't see the mechanics as impediments to, but as great enablers of roleplaying. Reasoning from effect for power creation, vast customization and Disadvantages all really went to supporting storytelling to my mind. Taking a character concept and squeezing it into the allotted points can be an exercise in compromise, but I never found the game lacking as a roleplaying, storytelling tool.

So, I definitely like the approach taken for Champions Now. It's why I was hyped about it enough to make a thread. :D

I still hate coming up with 150 points in Disadvantages, though. IMO , a well-defined character should have two or three major Disadvantages at most, with everything else being handled as backstory or emergent during play. If you are going to require that many DIsadvantages, then you're going to have to accept that part of the role of Disadvantages is simply to define the character and that not all of them are going to be in play most of the time. So, it'd be better IMO if Champions Now added in some more categories, even if they had to borrow from later editions. Adding a few  Social Disadvantage categories would be helpful, IMO.

Oh, yeah. The reason I just opened the thread:

I'm not seeing a good way to build a character that has minions. I was contemplating doing the legacy team of the one I'm working on now next, but one of the character is an inventor with a small army of robots to do her bidding. I'd probably have to pare her concept down to one or two bots, or a bot and a drone or something, but I'm not seeing obvious ways to do this, aside from just listing them as DNPCs, which is weird, and probably abusive.

I guess I could kludge them as Limited Power: Physical Manefestation on some powers or something, but that also seems awkward.

NPCs (villains) can have all the minions you want them to have.

Heroes (PCs) need to convince someone else to play their sidekicks.

Actually, this is a good introduction to something I was thinking about today.

Silver Age Batman was a great joiner.

In his own title, and Detective Comics, he was the first word in "... and Robin".

He also appeared in World's Finest, along side Superman.

He also appeared in "The Brave and the Bold", alongside random other heroes.

He appeared in the Justice League of America.

Later on (after the Silver Age), he formed his own team - the Outsiders.

If you assessed him in terms of Champions Now, he wasn't an idiot. He always had someone to cover his back.

From my bench test analysis, it's always a good idea to have someone who has your back. Sidekicks are a good idea.

1 hour ago, assault said:

Heroes (PCs) need to convince someone else to play their sidekicks. 

It's kind of tough to get them to agree to following your orders slavishly, though. :D

1 hour ago, assault said:

From my bench test analysis, it's always a good idea to have someone who has your back. Sidekicks are a good idea. 

Until your arch nemesis blows one up and saddles you with all kinds of Psych Limits you don't get any points for. :shock:

And finally, the last of the core four of my Golden Age team:

Citizen-Arcane.jpg.fd6cc3d256ce22fb53f8e1f05d0a8412.jpg

Citizen Arcane

13 STR 03
21 DEX 33
18 CON 16
14 BDY 08
18 INT 08
20 EGO 20
20 PRE 10
12 COM 01
 6 PD  03
 6 ED  03
 5 SPD 19
 7 REC 00
36 END 00
30 STN 00
         -------

Powers and Skills:

29 Multipower: Golden Ankh: 50 pts, OIHID (-1/4), Limited Power: Gestures and Incantations to activate (-1/2)
 6m Ra's Golden Shaft: 8d6EB + 1D6 Flash to Sight [10 END]
 6m Ra's Blinding Ray: 3D6 NND (Sight Flash Defense negates) + 2D6 Flash to Sight [10 END]
 6m Ra Has Left the Building:Invisibility, Universal [10 END]
40 VPP: Hermetic Thaumaturgy
13 VPP Control: Limited Power: All Require Gestures and Incantations to activate (-1/2)
11 Hermetic Theory, +2 to roll (VPP Control Skill) 13-
06 +6 Ego Defense (Total 10)
05 +5 Pre Defense
05 Detective Work
---

Default VPP Loadout:

Hermes' Sandals: 12" Flight, G&I (-1/2) [24AP/16RP, 3 END]
Aegis: Force Field +12PD/+12ED, G&I (-1/2) [24AP/16RP, 4 END]
Mage Hand: 2d6 Telekinesis, G&I (-1/2) [10AP/7RP, 2 END]

Char 123+ Powers/Skills 127 = 250 = 100 Base + 150 Disadvantages

Disadvantages:

-25 Hunted: Cult of Apophis, Small Organization, Extensive/Unusual Resources, Ruinous
-15 Secret ID ( Charles Cavanagh )
-10 Public ID (Secret ID is a famous Newspaper mogul and philanthropist)
-10 Psych: Thirst for Knowledge, Happens rarely, Intense
-15 Psych: Jealous of Liberty Star and Mister Midnight, Happens a Lot
-15 Vulnerability to Falling and KB damage

------

Background:

Charles Cavanagh built an empire with his bare hands, starting with a chain of newspapers and expanding to lucrative real estate and imports and exports. One day, having surveyed what he had built, from the top of Cavanagh Tower, he suddenly felt hollow inside, and more than a little bit alone. So, like every other obstacle he'd ever encountered in his life, he rolled his sleeves up and went to work overcoming it.

Work! That's what he'd do, by George. He fairly rushed to the elevator to the Tower's basement and shocked the loading dock workers when he started helping them unload a truckload of Egyptian artifacts for his private collection. They were items of historical interest, but not of great enough import to be displayed at any of the museums he funded, though they were allegedly from a cursed tomb. Weren't they all?, he mused. Charles and a burly teamster eased the last crate off of the load, and the teamster fell dead on the spot of a heart attack. The crate crashed open, and a faintly glowing golden ankh rolled out of it . . .

Powers/Tactics/Personality:

Charles dug deeply into any ancient texts he could uncover to unravel the mysteries of the Golden Ankh, and learned to control its powers, along with many secrets from the Hermitic tradition of magic. He's a capable magic wielder, and a flashy combatant. He's the money and the motive behind Strike Force Liberty and a long time admirer of Nancy Langford.

Having met her, he's become smitten with her and harbors a deep resentment that the uncouth and unpolished Mister Midnight has won her heart. His feelings are an unspoken open secret and sometimes cause friction within the group. The situation is especially awkward after Midnight loses control, since Charles is usually the one to bring him to heel with his light-based powers since they can subdue Midnight without doing permanent harm.

His personal hunted are wealthy socialites who are a secret cult devoted to Apophis. They desire the Ankh, and while they employ skilled agents at times, lack arcane power.

Notes: I'm not sure what's up with Telekinesis in Champions Now, being listed as 1d6 for 5 pts, but I rolled with it. I had to approach this writeup from umpteen different angles before I settled on a build I like. Once I decided to give him a signature power set with a solid Golden Age vibe to the visuals alongside a utility VPP, it became much easier. (Sorry for taking your shtick, Dr. Fate, but my CO's costume creator didn't have a lot of mystic chest logos I liked. :P )  The group dynamic centers around the love triangle between Arcane, Midnight and Liberty for the most part, so I probably need to reevaluate some stuff with Agincourt, other than having him simply be the neutral voice of reason. Then again, that's a good thing to have, too.

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Notes: I'm not sure what's up with Telekinesis in Champions Now, being listed as 1d6 for 5 pts, but I rolled with it. I had to approach this writeup from umpteen different angles before I settled on a build I like. Once I decided to give him a signature power set with a solid Golden Age vibe to the visuals alongside a utility VPP, it became much easier. (Sorry for taking your shtick, Dr. Fate, but my CO's costume creator didn't have a lot of mystic chest logos I liked. :P )  The group dynamic centers around the love triangle between Arcane, Midnight and Liberty for the most part, so I probably need to reevaluate some stuff with Agincourt, other than having him simply be the neutral voice of reason. Then again, that's a good thing to have, too.

In 3rd edition, Telekinesis was 1 point per 1 STR.  1d6 STR presumably means 1d6 STR damage, which is 5 points of STR, which costs 5 points.  That's how I'd build it myself, at least.  

42 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

In 3rd edition, Telekinesis was 1 point per 1 STR.  1d6 STR presumably means 1d6 STR damage, which is 5 points of STR, which costs 5 points.  That's how I'd build it myself, at least.  

You're probably right, though TK doing damage would be a change that's not listed. Either way, 10 pts of TK is a handy flavorful power.