clarification on what is more appropriate for "spells" and "weapon" powers?

yukonhorror

I am trying to build the final fantasy game into the HERO system. I took a first stab at a power called Mighty Strike. In the original system, it does double dam (with a weapon), has a charge time, but has half the accuracy.

For "double" dam it seems as though there are a lot of venues for that. It could be a straight up characteristic (STR) power (with non-persistent(-1/4) and instant(-1/2)) added (+10 seems good for a start).

Also it could be a +1d6 HKA atk.

Also it could be a aid 3d6 str with a self only (-1) limitation

These cost 6,15,and 9 real pts, respectively. I know the Aid has a fade. So what would be the best way to approach it??

For the charge time I gave it delay phase (-1/4), and for the half accuracy, I used the Inaccurate Limitation (-1/4).

Finally, it has to be used as part of a weapon atk. This is heroic fantasy (not super-heroic) so equipment is free. So would it be more appropriate to do OAF (-1) or do "only with weapons" (-1/2).

The last point, I am curious for spells too. I want my mages to use spells through an implement of sorts. Whatever is appropriate for that mage class is fine with me. I don't want a "wand of fire blasting" which I KNOW would be an OAF. What I want is a fire blasting spell that must be used through ANY wand. So is OAF appropriate or "only with wands"??

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Re: clarification on what is more appropriate for "spells" and "weapon" powers?

Sounds like you're on the right track. I would just do it as a bonus HKA - the aid just gets messy.

As far as requiring a weapon, it's generally accepted to do that as an OIF: Weapon of Opportunity - it's obvious and can be taken away, but you can replace it easily, so it's essentially inaccessible.

I would just do an extra attack that has a trigger with the less acurate limitation.

For the magic part, I would not have the focus limitation at all, just use gestures and incantations limitations plus a magik skill roll. That gives a total of -1. Put that on a MultiPower with fixed slots that use an END reserve to represent mana. Easy as Pi.

Also this site gives a lot of great ideas:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/FantasyHERO.aspx

For #1, I think you should build it as the Weaponmaster talent with Delayed Phase and Inaccurate.

For #2, a specific wand is OAF, but "any wand" is probably OIF; a character could, for example, carry a bunch of wands on themselves so it's hard to disarm them. It should possibly also be Restrainable and/or have Gestures and/or have Required Hands or something like that, depending on what you see the wizard as needing to do with the wand to cast spells.