Buying Resistant Protection

E Nymton

Question

Sorry if this has been asked before I tried a search but apparently I don't have permission?

Anyway I have a question about buying resistant protection as I am not sure I understand how it works.

I am Looking at buying a variety of defenses all with the costs endurance limitation.

From what I understand if these are non-resistant I can freely buy and use them in any combination I want. So I could for example buy 20pts each of PD, ED and MD (Base cost 60 pts total). If I wanted I could walk around with my PD at 20 and the others at 0, or any other combination.

But if I wanted to make them resistant (base cost 90) I would have to merge them into a single power and use them proportionally, so if I wanted one at 20 all three would need to be? Or is it just PD and ED that have to be used in the same ratio?

1 answer to this question

You are correct that you don't have to use any defense that you buy. It's rare that characters turn defenses off, but they can if they want to (as in your example, where a character's de-activated his Energy Defense and Mental Defense but kept his Physical Defense turned on).

The second part of your question I'm not sure I understand. If a character wants just one of those defenses to be Resistant, then he buys Resistant (+1/2) for only that defense. There's no "proportionality" requirement, or rule that mandates that Resistant Defenses be used in some ratio to one another. Characters often buy Resistant Defenses in equal amounts for ease of game play, but that's not required by the rules.

If I've misunderstood your question, please post a follow-up.