The Boondock Saints for 5e

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Cantriped

Cantriped

Heroic Magicat

• 1,487 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

That would be the most extreme form of the Complication. I see attitudes towards violence and killing as existing on a continuum:

• Code vs Killing: The character will take steps to avoid killing, even when the situation would would warrant it.
  • No Complication: The character will take a, "good shoot" if he has to, but tries to avoid the situation if possible. (Good cops and soldiers are here.)
  • Casual Killer: The character is looking to take somebody out. They may have a list of targets they consider acceptable (minority groups, terrorists, criminals, etc), or restrict themselves to situations where they think they can get away with it. A bad cop might have this at (Common, Moderate). He's more interested in shooting criminals than arresting them, but he realizes that he has to make it look reasonable.

I generally agree with your principle here, though I disagree with the specificities. Some of those qualifiers would reduce the commonality or strength of the complication significantly. The standard form of Casual Killer​ from ​Dark Champions 5th Edition ​is listed as Very Common, Strong.

#22 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,822 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

While not explicit in the movie it seemed to be implied that the father and brothers had ties/training from the IRA and getting away from that cycle of ideological violence was why the brothers were in the USA.

HM

#23 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,054 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

I'd say definitely their father, but I never got the impression the kids were trained or involved in anything except fist fights and generally being Southies.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#24 IndianaJoe3

IndianaJoe3

Mad Hero System Genius

• 2,823 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

I generally agree with your principle here, though I disagree with the specificities. Some of those qualifiers would reduce the commonality or strength of the complication significantly. The standard form of Casual Killer​ from ​Dark Champions 5th Edition ​is listed as Very Common, Strong.

The default Code vs Killing is (Common, Total), but I've seen (and used) other versions. It's treated as an example. The default for Casual Killer is likewise an example.

#25 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,822 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

I'd say definitely their father, but I never got the impression the kids were trained or involved in anything except fist fights and generally being Southies.

I was going by their many Latin tattoos and their multiple language skills.

HM

#26 bpmasher

bpmasher

Skilled Normal

• 60 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

I'll hack them into some sort of monster hunters for purposes multi-genre playing and general bad-assery. They're GIFTED with the holy spirit in this hack, in their quest to rid the world of unholy entities.

"I won't lie to you. Action science is dangerous work. We're at the edge of human knowledge and, let me tell you, it's a hell of a precipice. Applicants rarely appreciate the scope of what they're getting into. In fact, the position you're interviewing for today became available due to a scientific catastrophe."

"Define 'scientific catastrophe'".

"In this case? Delphi agents and a volcano."

"What were you doing at a volcano?"

"Action geology."