Rounding question followup

FOUNDATION

Question

Following up on my earlier post ("rounding question") and your response, the rounding description on page 2 of the core rule book uses a single decimal digit of precision. If you're using, say three digits of precision, does that mean that...

10.499 rounds to 10?

10.501 rounds however the player wants it to?

10.599 rounds however the player wants it to?

10.600 rounds to 11?

1 answer to this question

The rules only require rounding to one digit. If you want to round to more than that, you need to decide for yourself how you want to round -- the rules have no official stance on the matter.

For published books, I round to two decimal places, because I feel it's best to err on the side of caution. I apply the standard HERO rounding rules to the second digit, completely ignoring the third. Thus, 23.51 to 23.54 round down to 23, 23.56 to 23.59 round up to 24, and 23.55 rounds whichever way is best for the character. But that just happens to be my chosen method for, as I say, erring on the side of caution; it usually only affects a handful of calculations per book. Someone else might choose to round 23.51 or higher up to 24 -- and there's nothing wrong with that choice, either, if that's what he prefers for his campaign.