Advantage: Variable Simulated Sense Group

Caped Crusader

Here's a question for the crowd:

How much do you think the Power Advantage: Variable Simulated Sense Group should cost? (+1/4, +1/2, more?) I was thinking of it mainly for Detect, but I suppose it could apply to other Enhanced Senses as well. I was ruminating on useful changes to a Detect Magic sense that a character of mine has, and I saw some utility for this Advantage, but was curiuos what the community at large would think of as a fair cost for it. So, folks, what do you think?

It would probably depend on what your GM decided ;)

I dunno. Think about a reality where we have no hearing. Then you want a character with detect sound. Ok, now you can hear a sound, but can't tell direction or range or anything else.. you "hear" something (could be anything).

TO make it really useful you need "hearing" to have a directional aspect (the sound is coming from this way) and ideally a range aspect (which is likely learned over time - and would be a skill for using sound more than anything else).

Over time you'd get discriminatory (sounds like your x wife - run!).

There was a show on some channel or other I watched about kids that are getting (spelling...) cochliar implants - sort of artificial ear drums that tie into the ear allowing deaf to hear. Anyway it was pretty interesting to see how the kids learned to use a sense they never even knew about.

I was more thinking along the lines of, say, a Detect Magic that was based on Hearing. In some cases, it might be useful to switch it being based on Sight instead of Hearing. So I was thinking of ways to do this. I also thought of setting up a Multipower as well... but I was curious what the community thought about this Power Advantage.

Or maybe add the Sight group to the Detect in addition to the Hearing group...

Hmm, a detect multipower in general - not just magic but one that could be changed around as required.

Heck you could probably go with a normal sense just add magic. Taste magic, smell magic, hear magic etc.

Bad guys though are obviously going to learn invisibility to detect magic at some point...if they don't know about it already.

I wasn't thinking of it as a way around Invisibility to Detect. I was more concerned with the flavor of it (ha ha). For instance, it was easier for me to visualize adding Telescopic to a visual sense as opposed to a hearing sense. I just thought there might be times it would be more useful to see magic than hear it. Nothing more to it than that...

Actually hearing has a number of benefits over seeing. Right now for example the way I imagine it in the game, you would not need a clear line of sight to a magical item nor have the item be large enough to even see in order to "detect" it.

If an item were hiding in a dumpster and you walked by just bopping along going to the store for groceries you'd be able to detect it now, even hidden IF it were "loud" enough (depends on the item obviously).

In the same circumstances if it were magic sight, even telescopinc and discriminitory you'd miss that same item hiding in the dumpster.

Telescopic wouldn't be a bad idea. You'd need an area to focus in on then (using hearing as an anology) amplify the sense. That item in the dumpster - focus in on it and find out it's just an old tarrot card someone tossed and isn't worth digging out. Otherwise you might end up pretty smelly before you find that out.

True. You could leave it on as a "hearing" most of the time and change it to sight as needed. Still the telescopic on the hearing anology would work the same way as sight. You hear it coming from the crowd, you narrow down the focus on one particular person and there you are!

Easier to picture it (literally) as seeing though