Multiple Grab Attacks w/"Must Follow Grab"

The Naga

Question

Let us suppose I am creating a martial artist character. (We are safe in supposing this because, well, that's what I usually created in Hero System/Champions games, since most of my friends prefer Bricks, Gadgeteers, and Mentalists. One fills the niche one fills best, after all...)

Let us further suppose that this martial artist character takes both a 'regular' martial grab maneuver as well as a special 'grappling block' maneuver (like the kind used for the Hsing-I style in UMA), and a break or choke technique which also includes a grab element.

Let us now lastly suppose that the character has a high-power Crush/Squeeze technique that 'Must Follow Grab'. Does this mean it must specifically follow the purchased 'grab' maneuver, or can it follow any maneuver which results in or contains a grab element?

The Naga

(aka Grabmaster N)

1 answer to this question

Re: Multiple Grab Attacks w/"Must Follow Grab"

Per UMA 93, the Follow element means a maneuver must follow “some other specific successful maneuver.” Obviously, that has to be applied with a certain amount of common and dramatic sense. If “Grab” is specified, typically many forms of Grab will do, such as a regular Grab or Martial Grab. On the other hand, a Choke Hold or a Joint Lock-style Grab probably wouldn’t qualify — but it all depends on how the Follow maneuver is defined.