anyone have a write up for a Firefly

TheRavenIs

Re: anyone have a write up for a Firefly

I am trying to conver the writeup they have in the Official RPG' date=' but i cant promise anything until saturday arrives. if i make it this weekend i will upload by monday[/quote']

Cool, I was hoping someone of the board would either have one or working on one.

The conversion of the ship write up is going a bit slow.

the reason is that first all the stats seem to conform to a standardized factor designed for the sole purpose of allowing ships to travel at the speed of plot.

The Verse, apparently defies all Phisical Laws, a tight cluster of 3 or 4 star each with 7 to 9 planets with lots of moons ganimedes/earth's moon sized. this Cluster is so tightly packed that "to cross from one end of the verse to the other, on a speed class 10 ship, takes 25 days. Speed class range from 1 to 10.

Here is the official write-up of Serenity a moded Firefly class Transport :

Serenity

Fire Fly Class Transport

Dimensions ( LxBxH ) 191x 128 x 53

Tonnage : 2,400

Speed Class : 4 cruise / 6 Hard Burn

Crew Quarters : 2 Double / 3 Single

Fuel Capacity : 60 Tons ( 600 Hours )

Cargo Capacity / Maximum Deck Load : 400 /460 tons in hold #1

Passenger Capacity : 4 Double cabins aft of hold #2

Gear : two 20-tons shuttles, Infirmary in #2 Hold, Mule

Price : ~ 2,500 credits

Agi : d8

Str : d6

Vit : d6

Ale : d2

Int : d2

Wil : d4

Init d8+d2

Life : 8

Loved ( Major )

Healthy as a horse ( Major )

Everybody has One

Seen Better Days

Aerial Transport Operations/Firefly d2

Space Transport Operations/Firefly d2

Complexity : Very low

** Length x Bean x Height

*** Bean is width in ship parlance

Back to work on this... *sigh*

Further details regading the serenity ship.

In the Serenity RPG ships are cosntructed as caracters and have traits just as players do. Here is the meaning resumed of Serenity Traits.

Loved : Allows crew menbers to spend their action points to improve actions/skill rolls relating to the ship skills ( piloting, repair, etc )

Everyone has One : The ship was part of abig production run, so is a very common design, Enemies attempting to explot flaws in it ( previos a rolls to determine exact model ) gain a +2 bonus.

Seen Better Days : The ship is old and showing obvious signs of wear. Is more than 20 years old. She’s been around the ‘Verse some, but is still basically sound. Purchase price is 25% of the original price. Maintenance costs are increased by +50%.

Healthy as a horse : Ships vitality bonus applies to maintenance rolls.

As a side note, All ships are designed to carry enough fuel ( this can be calculated ) to support 600 hours of operations.

Yet more notes i have written for the conversion :

Spaceships in The verse travel at sub-light speeds, much more slowly in fact. It is said that ships in the verse, travel at the speed of plot, thus we don' t have many parameters to infer propulsion or distance between the planets or the suns..

Travel times are measured in days and weeks, which given the astronomical distances involved just makes you wonder about the kind of cellestial mechanics in place..

The wonder of Spaceships is made possibly by the Grav-drive, the grav-drive allows for 3 techniques or uses for it, Screening which allows the reduction of the gravity pull one object exercise over another. Artificial gravity functions the reverse of screening, creating an artificial gravity field which allows people to stay in the ship at the astounding speeds it develops. The third technique is the Inertial Reduction that basically reduces to a negligible value the friction in one direction allowing the ship to consume less energy to move.

Power, thrust, the mechanics to move in atmo or space.

This is where it gets interesting in a "Oh god my brain is gonna explode" kind of way. I cannot copy/paste the pdf because i would be violating somelaw or another but i cant tell you guys how it works.

Energy is generated by fusion ( wich is cheap and easy to handle with almost no risk of engines exploding in nuclear fireworks ), so basically all ships have a fusion engine to provide energy to all the sub-systems. The ships sports two kinds of Propulsion, Propulsion and Pulse. Propulsion is basically the bread and butter of ships, is what is used in atmo, depending on your reaction turbines you have several ways of handling this, Air intake, closed turbine, chemical propellant, etc.

Serenity Turbines wich she uses in atmo, can implement several of this methods, Air intake while at low speed wich is very fuel efficient, Chemical Burn closed system when exicting atmo wich sucks fuel like a goozle, and a mix of the 2 when in need of speed while in atmo.

Pulse Drive works a bit differen, basically the ships takes advantage of the gravity drive wich has a quirck or something like that, bear with me while i try to explain this, when she is floating in The Black. ( The Black is slang for space in The 'Verse ). The pilot basically aims for a point in space and Kicks the Pulse Drive wich generates a huge amount of push for a very brief period of time. The ship then advances in the direction wich she was pointing. But due to some quirck of the Gravity Drive, if the pulse drive stops the ship also stops, it dosent coast mind you, it just do. Pulse drive generates speeds of up to 40 or 60 times faster than reaction thrusters so if you want to go anywhere you have to use pulse drive. The quirck has to do with the innertial dampening properties of the g-drive.

Ohh well, now for the crunching bits... let me see how can i put all this mumbo-jumbo in the coherent language of hero.

Spaceships in The verse travel at sub-light speeds' date=' much more slowly in fact. It is said that ships in the verse, travel at the speed of plot, thus we don' t have many parameters to infer propulsion or distance between the planets or the suns.. [/quote']

If we apply the theoretical science about the habitation zone of a given star of the right type - and no matter how you terraform a planet, it still needs to have enough solar radiation to support life (all the rim planets visited in the series seemed to be non-arctic, so we can assume that) - then we realise the planetary orbits are pretty darn close to each other.

The big thing to take into account is time of year. All these planets are orbiting the same sun - and you don't want to have to travel all across the system to get from one planet to the other - just because one's in spring and one's in autumn.

So I think the biggest factor (outside of plot) in travel time - is where the planet is, in it's orbit.

sadly according to the star chart that came with the book that's not the case... you have 4 stars or so... and the moos that where terraformed are orbiting gas giants... a few planets are true earth like but not all.

so you have 4 planetary systems at least. and aprox 70 habitable worlds

Kewl. It's bigger than I thought.

I always thought it was several solar systems - because in the TV series they keep talking about "galaxy", when sometimes they probably actually meant "solar system".

The impression from the movie was that it was just a single solar system.

The move and the TV series seemed to contradict to me.