Character/Power idea I need help with

Basically I'm designing a charater who is an MA with the ability to go desolid vs non-living objects. IOW living objects (people, aliens, mice, still living wood) can interact with her and she can interact with them. So:

Desolid (strikable by natural HTH attacks ofd living creatures (Fists, feet, claws,etc)

However, naturally her own fists/feet can hit people whilst 'desolid' since she is just as solid to their faces as her face is the their fists. What is more they naturally ignore non-living armor type PD (traditional armor, PA, etc). Which means all MA manuevers have to be bought with 'Affects Solid' and AVLD (natural PD). This makes most MA manuvers about 60pts each which I feel is kind of steep considering that only PA's and other people who wear 'armor' are going to be any more effected by her than a normal MA and that she can only affect those people who can affect her at the same time.

If anyone can find a way of buying this cheaper I'd be appreciative.

Consider buying Affects Real World and AVLD (Natural PD) as "Naked" Power Advantages. See p. 157 of FRED for details.

Basically, figure up the highest number of points in MA maneuvers you're likely to use at the time, and use that as your base cost.

AVLD would be +1 1/2, Affects Physical World would be +2, so if you figured on using no more than 10 points of maneuvers at a time, your "naked" advantage cost would be 35 points. You pay this once, not once per maneuver.

Originally posted by memesis

Consider buying Affects Real World and AVLD (Natural PD) as "Naked" Power Advantages. See p. 157 of FRED for details.

Basically, figure up the highest number of points in MA maneuvers you're likely to use at the time, and use that as your base cost.

AVLD would be +1 1/2, Affects Physical World would be +2, so if you figured on using no more than 10 points of maneuvers at a time, your "naked" advantage cost would be 35 points. You pay this once, not once per maneuver.

Unfortunatly unless I can get GM permission (which is possible) the Ultimate MA (p 104) nixes this idea by saying thar Power advantages must be added to each manuver seperately. Thanks for the idea though I'll run it past him...

Originally posted by memesis

Another suggestion would be to take the -1 limit on Desolidification for "only vs. limited forms of damage", and see if your GM is willing to waive the "Affects Physical World" requirement. That brings your costs down to the AVLD itself.

That might work, except that limitation is really about 'immunising' people to certain types of damage (Fire characters who take no damage from fire etc.) and doesn't allow for the 'walk's through walls (as long as theres no ivy growing on them)' effect I'm looking for. Then again I could try to convince him to make it a -1/2 limitation and say that I get the 'limited forms of damage (non-living attacks) thing' and can walk through walls but am still vulnerabe to quite alot of attacks. Who knows it might work...

One question that I have is this: do energy attacks from living creatures still affect you normally? If yes, then I would definitely bring this up for consideration with the GM, since the Desolid really doesn't protect you very much at all. If normal EB's go right through you, however, then I'd say you'll have to take the advantages.

Still, you don't have to take the advantages on each of your martial arts maneuvers if you buy Affects Real World (+2) and AVLD, Does Body (+2½) on your base STR. Assuming your martial artist has a 20 STR, these would be 40 and 50 point advantages, respectively. Pretty hefty, but they would allow you to use any of your MA attacks normally, since they just add damage to your STR anyway. Not to mention, since the defense for the AVLD is extremely common (naturally occurring PD), the GM might give you a break on the AVLD cost and lower it down to +2 or even +1½. YMMV.

Just thinkin,

Steve