Hard Case Crime Series

Super Squirrel

I have now finished my second book in the Hard Case Crime series.

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King is a great book and a read I would recommend to anyone interested in mysteries. However, if you are looking for inspiration for Pulp material it is not the book for you. The Colorado Kid is a story that tells the mystery of a man found dead on a beach on an island in Maine. The book does not come out and tell you what happened. It is up to the reader to figure things out. Even today, I'm not 100% positive I have figured it out but I'm pretty sure I know what did happen. Take these two things with you when you read The Colorado Kid. There are things mentioned in the book that you will believe are a factual mistake made by Stephen King. These are not mistakes. There is also what I believe is a red herring thrown in to stump the reader.

The next Hard Case Crime book I read was Plunder of the Sun by David Dodge. This was just as good as The Colorado Kid. This book is a great reference book for planning a Pulp adventure or designing Pulp characters. The main character is hired to transport a package across the border without knowing its contents. When his employeer dies, he decides to open the package. Now, the race is on to get a lost Inca treasure worth more than $20 million dollars.

Re: Hard Case Crime Series

Thanks for the reviews. I was hesitant on picking up the Stephen King one, but I'll have to add it to the list now.

I've read three books in the series (Two for the Money by Max Allan Collins, Little Girl Lost by Richard Aleas and Fade to Blonde by Max Phillips) and have enjoyed them all. They all have ideas that could be used in a Pulp game.