Not sensing your an opponent

ScotMartin

Question

I've been reading over the "lack of senses" seciton on page 349 and I have some questions:

1. If you know there's an invisible opponent around, can a player just declare they are firing a ranged attack at them at 0 OCV or does the player need to "guess" which hex the opponent is in first and then make an attack at 0 OCV? Guessing a hex seems more intuitive, but there's no mention of that in the rulebook that I could find.

2. When a player makes a perception role to find an opponent in the midst of say, a 5 on 5 combat, should any of the special modifiers on page 353 be applied? (is combat considered a "noisy area"?) Or should range modifiers be the only ones used?

3. When a player succeeds on using a half-phase to find an opponent using a non-targeting sense, the FAQ seems to state that the reduced modifiers only last until the opponent's next phase. Is this correct even if the opponent doesn't move?

Thanks for the help,

-Scot

1 answer to this question

Re: Not sensing your an opponent

1. It’s up to the GM how to handle that. Some are willing to assume that “firing blindly and hoping to hit something” is part of the whole 0 OCV thing; others want characters to indicate at least a general direction they’re firing in, then have them roll but always tell them they miss if they fire in a direction where they couldn’t possibly hit the target.

2. Again, that’s up to the GM.

3. Could you please post a follow-up quoting the exact FAQ language you’re referring to? I’d rather not try to answer without knowing exactly where you’re coming from, so to speak. ;)