Character: Wraith

samarkand

Hello,

I put together this character for a DC:TAS game, but I'm looking for ideas on how to grow him from where he is today. I would be especially be interested in different fear-based powers.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Wraith

aka Alexander 'Lex' Murphy

Str 10 0p

Dex 12 6p

Con 20 20p

Bod 10 0p

Int 23 13p

Ego 20 20p

Pre 20 10p

Com 12 1p

PD 6 4p

ED 6 2p

Spd 4 18p

Rec 6 0p

End 40 0p

Stn 30 5p

TotaL Cost: 99p

Taser Baton (36p)

6p Baton: +3HA (Hand Attack, OAF)

18p Electro-Shock: 6d6 NND(Insulated) EB (No Range, OAF, 2 clips of 6 charges -1/2, linked -1/4)

12p Armor(6PD, 6ED) (OIF: Armored Costume)

Perks:

6p Reputation(Terrifying Vigilante, Limited Group: Criminal World, +3,+3d6, 14-)

Strong Mind (5p)

5p Mental Defense 9u

Total: 74p

Telepathy with Fear Specialty (50p)

5u "Blast of Pure Fear" 5d6 Ego Blast

5u "Intimidation" 10d6 Mind Control

5u "You cannot face your greatest fear" Invisibility(All Sight, Sound Smell), No Fringe,(1/2e)

3u "Terrifying Visions" 10d6 Mental Illusions (only Fear-Based -1/2)

3u "Know your Fears" 10d6 Telepathy (only to read -1/2)

3u "Paralyzed with Fear" Entangle(Def:2, 1d6)(BOECV +1, Takes no damage from attacks +1/2,

Works again ego not str +1/4, Only visible to mental +3/4)(-1/2 Mental Defense Applies)

Skills: (30p)

I'm a Psychologist. I help people (25p)

3p SS: Psychology (14-)

3p SS: Phobias (14-)

3p PS: Psychologist (14-)

3p Conversation (13-)

3p Interrogation (13-)

3p Persuasion (13-)

3p Scholar

2p KS: Superhuman World (14-)

2p KS: Academic World (14-)

Learning the Streets(5p)

3p Streetwise (13-)

2p KS: Criminal World (14-)

Disadvantages

20p Psych Lim: Code Vs. Killing

20p Psych Lim: Driven to Fight Crime

15p Psych Lim: Fearless

15p Social Lim: Secret Identity

10p Reputation: Creepy Vigilante 11-

20p Hunted (Criminal Organization, MoPow, NCI, 11-)

10p Hunted (Police, MoPow, NCI, Only Watching, 11-)

Appearance:

Roughly 6 feet tall and average build. Black hair and blue eyes. Clean-shaven.

In Normal Identity, he wears suits when on the job, casual clothes (jeans, etc. otherwise)

In heroic identity, he wears an all-black ensemble (trench coat, boots,

jeans, and a heavy shirt). He wears a hood/mask combination to conceal his identity.

Background:

Alex was a psychologist who occasionally worked for the city. His specialty was fear, and how it can be

used to manipulate people. One day he was coming home from work late, and he went down the wrong alley. He was

chased down by a band of thugs, but they weren't satisfied just taking his money, they beat him and probably would have

killed him.

However, as the assault commenced, his mind seemed to change...to grow until he felt he

could reach out to them and let them know the fear he was feeling. The thugs, those who were still conscious fled

into the night.

Alex spent a few days in the hospital and then returned to work, but he couldn't turn off what had happened. Resolutely,

he put together a costume and went back out into the streets. His first targets were the gang that attacked him; it

was easy enough to get them to turn themselves into the cops.

But there were a city-full of predators for him to deal with.

Re: Character: Wraith

Very Nice, if you are looking to expand the Fear powers you may want to buy some PRE for Ego attacks only, (listen to your fear) or on the other side of that Mental Defense usable on others/Aid Ego to help colleges (I am fear and this is no horror we face). You may want to consider a Drain to Intelligence, Ego or Strength (Mind Boggling Fear or Crippling Fear.)

Good Ideas

Thanks for the feedback. You have some good ideas.

I hadn't thought about the Aid Ego.

I was thinking:

"The Shape of your fear" Shapeshift (only scary forms) with linked Presence(-1/2 offensive only)

This would be especially effective after using telepathy to find out what someone is afraid of.

"Mind Numbing Terror" Essentially, the power you described.

"The Boon of Fear" Mental Transform (only to add/suppress fear-based psych lims -1/2)

Any other ideas? I'm a little stumped on the direction the character could grow. More gritty low-level crimefighter (with martial arts, etc.) doesn't quite seem right; neither does full-on telepathy which may dilute the central core of the character.

I think you have a solid base to build from simply by focusing on the multipower and whatever comes up through play. Simply building out the fear powers at first thing working on the overall power level should keep Wraith busy for a while.

Edit: You may also consider some CSLs: DCV or Force Field (For the End cost to represent the projection of fear) under a header like, they're even afraid to hit me.

That's true.

How would you suggest building the Force Field by the way? There's was a character in Champions Worldwide who had a similar ability.

Force Field(X PD, Y ED)(ZE)(Totally Invisibility +1, -1/2 only against directed attacks)...Which seems terribly expensive for buying a little defense.

It would have to be something invisible (no glowing TK fields or the like), but I wouldn't want to break the bank buying it.

Here are two ways, one as a Force Field the other as a Flash. Both require a PRE roll to be activated.

33 Aura of Fear: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED) (Protect Carried Items) (50 Active Points); Requires A PRE Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -½) 5

Notes: Wraith’s presence is so overwhelming those who would oppose him have a hard time facing him and often are unable to get a clear shot of him.

51 Embodyment of terror : Sight Group, Combat Sense and Danger Sense Flash 1 ½d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½), No Normal Defense ([standard]; Immunue to fear; +1), Damage Shield (Offensive; Affects Mental And Physical Attackers; +1 ¼) (76 Active Points); Requires A PRE Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -½) 0

51 Embodyment of terror : Sight Group, Combat Sense and Danger Sense Flash 1 ½d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½), No Normal Defense ([standard]; Immunue to fear; +1), Damage Shield (Offensive; Affects Mental And Physical Attackers; +1 ¼) (76 Active Points); Requires A PRE Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -½) 0

So this defense would only kick in after the character had been hit in combat? Hmmm...

By the way, rep for the help!

I don't know if you're still looking for ideas, but I'll shoot.

Have you tried something more abstract such as an ora of fear so strong it extracts all who enter from reality. They would essentially be blind and deaf to the world because they can only here and see there fears.

(Those who leave the area, return to normal)

Example I: Delusion of fear; Darkness (x area, Sight and hearing group), personal immunity (+1/4), (doesn't work vs those with mental defense,-1/2)

or

(Target is effected by contact and only for a brief period)

Example II: Touch of fear; (Flash XD6 Sight and hearing group, AVLD extracted to a nightmare realm, defense is mental defense instead of flash, +1/2) (extracted to a nightmare realm), reduced range "0" (-1/2)

or

( Tendrils of darkness shoot forth in all directions inflicting fear on selected

targets, a roll must be made for each enemy targeted. Effect is temporary)

Example III:Tendrils of Horror; Flash XD6 Sight and hearing group, AOE radius, non-selective (+3/4), personal immunity (+1/4), selective target (+1/4), reduced range 0 range (-1/2)

I'm always looking for ideas.

I like the explanation for the darkness, flash attacks..that namely you can only see your greatest fears before your eyes. Very cool.

Many power concepts can be taken in powerful directions. The more abstract an idea the easier it is to explain varied powers and effects. The way my players are built, I'm becoming familiar with abstract concept character designs such as the sample powers above.

Glad to be of service :thumbup: