Making a character too efficient?

Mendou

Guest steamteck

Re: Making a character too efficient?

Vpps just stymie some players because they don't have the ability to make stuff up on the spot and others really run with them. As GM I avoid NPCs with VPPs because I don't have the ability to be creative with them and do everything else. Back in the dark ages when I was a player ,very different story.

It true about players efficiency. I've seen two players with basically the same character and one can shine while the other does just OK.

We have one game where there's one player who's a centuries old highlander style immortal and another player is the skilled mortal daughter of another immortal. Now in swordplay they're pretty close but he's got her in everything else. We constantly hear "Old man do you have skill X. Good, then here's our plan." He's getting better but she's basically taught him how to get the most out of HIS character in game.

I'm fortunate that all my group designs to concept. If they're efficient within concept , its OK with me. Power level of characters as long as they're vaguely competitive doesn't seem a big deal as long as everyone gets to do their thing.