Force Field's, MMO Style

johnvalentine

The Force Field power in Hero System is good. It works the way I envision a force field power to work: a field that reduces the potency of attacks, while costing a steady amount of energy to systain.

However, I also like the way Champions Online has done it. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into making a Force Field that was a buffer of temporary BODY and/or STUN instead of a PD/ED boost?

Re: Force Field's, MMO Style

A field that reduces the potency of attacks sounds exactly like Damage Negation to me. However, from your reference to the actual Force Field power I assume you're playing 5th edition, so that doesn't do you any good. Maybe Damage Reduction could serve to purpose?

The temporary buffer thing is easier. The Ablative limitation on page 115 in FRED is a way of doing it (the -1 option being most appropriate), or you could buy up an amount of BODY and STUN with non-persistent and costs END. That would normally apply after your other defenses though, but a kind GM might ignore that specific rule in light of the special effects. Mind you, it wouldn't recover any after than normal STUN and BODY, which might be a problem. Another option is Succor (134 in FRED) which does much the same thing, except being more expensive and not having that recovery problem.

Hope this helps.

You could do rPD /rED ablative would be the easiest way to do it. Or you could do it with a STN/BDY aid, self-only, only one use at a time, with extended life.

To really simulate the effect of the MMO could be done with a custom limit. rPD/rED cost END when hit -1/4 that runs off an END battery.

This is in my opinion best done with Barrier that has one-way transparency (so you can attack out of it, but attacks in have to punch through the barrier first). If you want a "Power Word: Shield" effect, that's it. If you want something like Master Chief's force field, slap Constant on the barrier so that it refreshes.