Starting Pulp Characters (6th Ed). Add your own if you want.

Pizza Man

Just so you know, I’m from a Champion’s background, and I’ve yet to receive my Pulp Hero Sourcebook. So it’s a bit difficult to cross the genre line. In my eagerness, I’m trying to make a pulp character with no resources whatsoever.

This is my first attempt. It’s OK, be brutal. Until I get the book, I have no idea what I am doing.

The Shield

Jim Garrison grew up in his beloved San Francisco. Stories of adventure, pirates and buried treasure filled his youth. The Great War called him, and Jim served as an officer in the navy. He fought in a number of fierce battles, and even saw action ashore. Discharged with honors, Jim stayed at sea, serving as navigational officer on a number of ships. Adventure seemed to follow Jim Garrison. He got a taste for detective work when he solved a series of murders in New Zealand.

It was in Great Brittan where Jim met his destiny. He was on a cross country trek when he stumbled through the roof of an ancient tomb. He lay unconscious for hours, and when he came to, it was pitch black. Feeling about his hand fell upon something cold. It was a chain, no, it was an amulet. Buried treasure! Jim put it on.

Voices. German voices. In the dark, Jim didn’t know where to go. He cried out, “Hello! Over Here!” Lights appeared in the distance. The amulet felt strangely warm. He could hear boots running towards him. “Over here! Help!”

The chamber filled with light as a number of men filled the room.

“Am I glad to see you guys, I fell through the…” He stopped as a number of guns were leveled at him. “Whoa!”

>(in German) “Commander. Look at what he’s wearing!”<

One of the men stepped forward. He was thin, 50ish, bald, and wore a monocle. He stared at Jim for a moment.

“Give me ze amulet and ve vill let you live.” The man smiled.

Jim had no choice. His hands touched the amulet, and it melted away into his heart. He could feel it inside him…it was warm.

The commander knew right away what had happened. >“He’s activated ze device. Shoot him!”<

Jim raised his arm in vain against the hail of bullets…But he didn’t feel a thing. The shooting stopped and both he and the Germans gasped as a medieval shield floated in front of him. Flattened bullets lay spent at Jim’s feet.

Seizing the opportunity, Jim fled the chamber with the German’s in hot pursuit. He lost them in the night. Frustrated the Commander shouted, “Ve vill find you. And vhen ve do, ve vill cut ze amulet out!” The commander grew quiet, "Mit a spoon..."

Personality/Motivation

Jim is a thrill seeker. But he also feels obligated to use his gift to help people. So he took a few gadgets, and stepped into the shoes of a mystery man.

“Yeah. Gruesome murders. You gonna eat that?”

Powers/Tactics The amulet is completely absorbed into Jim’s body, but can be seen with an x-ray machine as a small shield like device protecting his heart. It summons a mystical protective force that has no outright focus. The visual effect is a floating shield, though he can wear it on his left arm as well.

The gauntlets are modern 1935 technology. They are no bigger than normal gloves but they do attach to bracing struts in his armored trench coat. The end result is a 3D6 Hand attack. The gauntlets fold flat and can hide in the sleeves of the coat.

The trench coat looks at first glance to be a normal trench coat, but any good tailor can see the inserts, and the fact the coat doesn’t seem to wrinkle with wear. The vest is black scales, Jim tells people its alligator leather, but it is actually naga hide, and yet another reason Lord Kala hunts our hero.

Campaign Use.

As a hero, the PCs most likely encounter Jim as The Shield while he’s on a case.

As a villain, The Shield is interested in Magical artifacts, and will haunt Museums and archeology sites. He also makes a good jewel thief and 2nd story man. Jim is a lone villain and may need to be zapped up a bit to be a threat to the PCs. But for the right price he would hire out to a mastermind type villain.

--in either case, his hunteds would remain the same.

Appearance

The Shield is a tall man (6 foot) in a trench coat and a fedora. He uses his night vision goggles as a mask to hide his identity. His hands are seemingly made of steel. As Jim Garrison, he is known as an adventurer who is good with a gun and helps the police from time to time. (he saves the wild stuff for the mask).

Jim is a handsome young man, about 25 years old. Light brown hair and blue eyes. Well muscled.

Re: Starting Pulp Characters (6th Ed). Add your own if you want.

The Shield (Mystery Man)

15 STR 5

15 DEX 10

15 CON 5

13 INT 3

10 EGO

13 PRE 3

6 OCV 15

5 DCV 10

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

4 SPD 20

5 PD3

2 ED

10 REC 6

30 END 2

12 BODY 2

34 STUN 7

95 Characteristics

Powers

7 (9)IIF 3PD/3ED Resistant suit Armored Trench Coat, Vest Pants, designed to look like normal Tailored clothing. -1/4 (*IIF any good tailor can see the inserts, and anyone else can feel them—otherwise it appears perfectly normal.)

4 (5) Gliding IIF Trench Coat -1/4

10 (15) Hand Attack +3D6 OIF steel gauntlets 6D6 total

6 Shield Immunity To Bullets: Armor (7 PD/0 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (13 Active Points); Only Works Against Very Limited Type of Attack (Bullets; -1/2), Does not work against attacks from behind -1/2

6 Shield (summoned, No Focus) 3/PD, 3ED (9 AP). -1/2 does not work on attacks from behind

3 (5) Night Vision OIF goggles

2 +4 to leap 8M jump

38 so far

Skills perks N stuff

1 Passport

6 +3 with Basic Punch/Gauntlet HA

10+2 with firearms

2 WF small arms

1 Conversational Arabic

1 Conversational Chinese (Mandarin)

2 Navagation ocean

3 Climbing

3 Fastdraw

3 Breakfall

2 KS History, focused on magical lore/artifacts

3 High Society

3 Stealth

3 Streetwise >Ports of the world<

3 Criminology

Everyman skills: 0 seamanship He worked on a lot of boats

42 skills

95 Characteristics

38 powers

175 total

+50 Complications

15 Secret ID

15 Hunted by Lord Kala, an Indian Noble who in reality is a shape changed naga. He is out to avenge the death of his mate at the hands of the mystery man, “The Shield.” The nagas had been using their position to feed on the local humans and got to enjoy the lifestyle of opulence.

As Powerful, NCI, infrequently. Nagas are a base 160 points, the GM will need to add some experience to even the odds.

15 Hunted Nazis! Mo Pow, infrequent. They know about the artifact, but not who has it…until they ran into “the Shield.” They don’t know his secret ID, but now they know who has the artifact and plan to kill our hero and cut it out of him.

10 Distictive Features: Not concealable, detected only with unusual senses. Our hero has a magical aura.