Active Costs for Weapons in 6E2

Azzy

Question

Hi, I'm a complete noob and I'm trying to grasp some of the nuances of building powers--especially in regards to weapons and equipment. To this end, I'm looking at the various examples and listed weapons to try to reverse engineer the costs. I'm probably missing something simple (that's usually the way it goes), but it seems that the Active Costs on some of the weapons don't have what I'd expect for their Active Costs. For instance, a great mace has 2d6 damage and lists an AC of 47. However, a HKA 2d6 would be 30 points, plus 0 END for +1/2 for an AC of 45. It doesn't seem possible for there to be another Advantage (another +1/4 would bring it up to 52), so it seems that there must be an Adder in there that I'm missing. However, even a +1 point Adder should only being it up to 46 points (unless you round 46.5 up). It's similar with other weapons both on the HTH and Ranged tables.

Also, what is the cost of a -1 to damage (such as the Peacemaker's 2d6-1 damage), while the KA rules mention +5 character points for a +1 pip of damage, subtracting 5 points doesn't seem to add up either.

Thank you.

1 answer to this question

Re: Active Costs for Weapons in 6E2

In the case of the Great Mace what you're overlooking is the Length -- a M weapon adds +1m Reach, and that has to be paid for. Technically speaking under the rules for Stretching you could leave it as +1 Active Point (and +1 Real Point), but I sometimes prefer to err on the side of caution and, in this case, round 1.5 up to 2.

In the case of Killing Damage ending in -1, there is no separate cost; as noted in the Damage Class table on 6E2 97, 2d6-1 is the same DC as 1.5d6 and technically would have the same cost (25 points in this case). However, in the interest of distinguishing weapons more precisely, I often use the "increased damage differentiation" rules on APG 56 (so that, for example, 2d6-1 would cost 27 points).