How To: Build a large scale tracking/sensing system?

Lukeal

OK, so the effect I am looking for is similar in concept to a radar screen or a map app that drops pins on locations that a given effect occurred.

Generally:

1) part of a base, so focus/equipmenty

2) plot the effect on a map/display that is scalable

3) maybe show details of the effect/item used

4) plot simultaneously for all instances within range

5) maybe keep a history of information for a short while, maybe searchable

6) ability to work in a cluttered line of sight environment (like a city)

7) nice to have: ability to highlight one specific signature/effect to display

the problem I have with any guidelines is that they tend to clairsentience which doesn't meet #4 very well. And is generally too "active" but maybe I am just wrapped up in that power and can't see a decent way to do it.

So the example of airplane radar, they can see "blips" on their screen for all planes in a given range with vectors of movement and altitude (yeah I know not really for altitude technically).

A specific idea, that I would like is "Uses of Teleport Power" within the range (yeah probably megascale) and be able to pair or string "like" teleports together (so discriminatory) and then look back over the past day or so (if no one was actively monitoring the system) to see where things occurred at or say "find all uses of a teleport matching these parameters" (ie you already know what Bob's teleport looks like on the system). You could replace "Uses of teleport" with "mutants", "alphas", or "crimes (like a police blotter)". A thing to note that I really don't get about senses is what constitutes line of sight type for a lot. It is just unclear, like HRRH isn't really straight LOS and NRay vision seems to imply that is the only way to "see through" things but is built as a relatively simple detect as an example (maybe I am overcomplicating that).

Re: How To: Build a large scale tracking/sensing system?

That is basically just a fancy Detect. Build it however you want, possibly multiple different detects if you like. Apply appropriate sense modifiers (Telescopic, 360 degree, Discriminatory, Penetrative, Range, Sense, all seem appropriate) Then apply any modifiers you wish.

For instance, based upon your Uses of Teleport Power:

Detect Teleport Power Use 14- (6 pts), Discriminatory (5 pts), 360 Degree (5 pts), Fully Penetrative (10 pts, cannot see through "force fields"), Range (5 pts), x15 Telescopic (15 pts, 256 kilometer/159 mile range), 46 AP, Affected as Sight and Radar (-1/4), OIF (-1/2), Immobile (-1), Requires a Systems Operations Roll (-1/2) RC: 14 pts

This will allow you to detect any use of teleport within range (159 miles, large enough to cover most large cities + surrounding areas.) For this, discriminatory will allow you to differentiate different teleporters (assuming you know the "signature" of a teleporter you can name it, otherwise you can just tell one from another). If both initial and final positions are in range you can identify the link. (I would probably require at least Analyze if you wanted to be able to guess the initial/final if the other isn't in range, and it wouldn't be very accurate and would depend on sfx as well).

You could either buy multiple detects, or redefine the "class of things" (increasing the cost of the base detect) to add to the numbers of things you could detect with this. Most of the rest of the build wouldn't change. Analyze might also be added as stated above.)

The "sfx" of this power is a Radar-like workstation in a base that can be operated by anyone with the appropriate skills (or monitored by a computer if you buy the skill for it.). It functions like radar (so radar jamming equipment will block it for instance), and the operator has to be able to see the terminal to use. (If used by a computer exclusively remove the "affected as sight/radar" limitation)

Okay lets check your points:

1. OIF Immoblie

2. Entirely SFX, doesn't need to be "built"

3. Discriminatory

4. 360 Degree

5. Would need to add Eidetic Memory to this (or use with a computer with that built into it.)

6. Fully Penetrative

7. Entirely SFX, doesn't need to be "built"

Hope this helps!