idea a player had for magic on a non-magic character

dugfromthearth

This is actually being used in a pulp adventure but would work well in fantasy as well.

The character has no magic. They wanted healing (and this could work for other things as well). In their background they were healed by a shaman once, and then had to serve him for awhile as payment.

Now when he is wounded he can call upon the shaman to heal him. It is a large healing power, 1 charge, extra time, and a side effect which always happens - his debt to the Shaman.

So when he is badly wounded he calls on the shaman and is healed overnight. Then as soon as he is able he has to perform some task to repay the shaman.

It works great to give him access to magic with a significant limitation, and has great adventure possibilities.

Hey, if it works for your game then great!

Myself I'm always a bit suspicious of these sorts of things, where characters bend over backwards to create an RP story to gain a power. To me it turns RP into 'excuse making' for what is fundamentally power-gaming and thus puts the cart well in front of the horse.

But thats just me and my tastes :P

Great idea

I think it's a great idea. Great oppurtunity to roleplay. Maybe the player can buy it off eventually when he's called on the shaman one too many times. On the other hand, maybe the player starts learning the secret of the shaman. Maybe the shaman gets tired of saving his hide, so he shows some of the "magic".

It can definately work for a fantasy game too.

Isn't this a contact?

Would you have to write this up as a power? Isn't this just a contact or a favor? I thought that calling on the help of NPCs was the purpose of those perks?

Favors are independent points, that means your character would have to pay for a new favor each time he used it. That gets to be very expensive. You could alternatively allow the player to "earn" favors through the roleplaying you suggested, which is indeed a wonderful opportunity.