Explosion & Hole in the Middle

Xotl

Question

6E1 p. 323

1) If I buy an AoE explosion attack, No Range, Hole in the Middle, does the explosion still count the initial 2m area (the starting 2m area the attacker is standing in)?  In other words, does the fact that I bought hole in the middle (an advantage) cause some of the explosion to be lost, or does the explosion only start counting from the point past the hole?  I would assume the latter, since it seems strange to get penalized by an advantage, but I want to be sure.

2) Regardless of the above, I'm trying to figure out exactly how explosion drop-off is calculated.

"With an Explosion, the full effect of the base power occurs at the target point and 2m beyond that within the Area. The damage done by or effect of the power decreases by one Damage Class (see 6E2 97) or 5 Active Points in the power for every 2m distance from the target point within the Area."

However, further down it says:

"The Area purchased for an Explosion has to be bought to the appropriate size for the DCs in the attack to diminish to zero — in other words, the Area needs to be at least 2m + (2m x DCs). For example, a Blast 12d6, Area Of Effect (Cone Explosion) would need to be bought to have a 26m Cone"

The first part quoted seems to me to say ground zero is the first two meters ("the target point and 2m beyond that within the Area"); since we're not using hexes anymore, it makes sense that the target point really is a point, rather than an area.  This would mean that the full damage is done to the first two meters (2m all around a central "point"), and then every two metres beyond it drops off. For a 4D6 attack, that would be:

0-2 metres: 4D6, 3-4 metres 3D6, 5-6 metres 2D6, 7-8 metres 1D6

However, the second part quoted says quite clearly that it's 2m + (2 x DC).  For a 4D6 attack, that would be:

0-2 metres: 4D6, 3-4 metres 4D6, 5-6 metres 3D6, 7-8 metres 2D6, 9-10 metres 1D6

Which is right?  Thanks for your time.

1 answer to this question

1. Typically a Hole In The Middle “uses up” part of the power it affects — in this case, the first DC of the Explosion. It does not “extend” the power further than what’s been bought. However, the GM is certainly free to alter this if he feels doing so won’t harm game balance.

2.  My initial impression is that I may have miscalculated by adding that first 2m in the second paragraph you cite. However, before I say so definitively, I want to review my notes from way back then, and they’re all packed away in storage until my home remodeling project is finished. So I’ll revisit this in a few months when normal living conditions have been restored. ;)