Megascale

BenKimball

Question

Happy New Year's Eve!

I have a few quick questions about Megascale that I didn't see answered in the FAQ, probably because they're too obvious. ;)

1) The example of the "Galactic Federation's Transport Booth Network" on FREd p169 states in part "This gives it a range of 10,000 km, enough to Teleport anywhere on a planet." Can this device teleport someone 6,432.34 km? On the one hand, I'd think not; it can't be scaled down to less than 1,000 kilometers. On the other hand, it's pretty useless if it can't.

2) Related: Can Takofanes (CKC 32) use his "Invocation of the Dark Sun" example VPP power (Change Environment 1" radius, MegaArea (each hex is 13,000 km tall, wide, and deep)) to create darkness only within the irregularly shaped area of the Millenium City city limits?

3) Finally: this isn't so much a rules question, I guess, but rather something that's been troubling me. FREd p170 tells us that MegaMovement powers without MegaSense powers are difficult to use at best. On the other hand, I'm not used to seeing characters (even published ones) with MegaSenses. For example, Cyclone (CKC 106) has Flight 5", MegaScale (1" = 1 km), but only +6 vs. Range Modifier for Sight Group (corresponding to 64 meters). Can he fly at 5 km/Phase in a city without running into something? Logically it seems that he should be able to, since he hasn't exceeded the "speed of sight". But the rules say otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to read this through; it got a lot longer than I thought!

Best,

Ben

1 answer to this question

The FAQ touches on all of these issues, albeit indirectly in some instances, and often in detail.

1. The booth can't scale down below 1,000 km/hex. It could Teleport a user 6,000 km or 7,000 km, but not something in between. To do that it would need the additional +1/4 to scale down to something lower.

2. No. That power's specifically bought to cover the entire Earth, not some small portion of it. But given his powers, Takofanes could probably whip up a different spell to do what you suggest.

3. If Cyclone is stupid enough to fly at Mach speeds among buildings, he gets what he deserves -- splattered against some skyscrapers. That power's designed for use in the high-altitude open air, where obstacles can generally be seen a long way away. If he wants to fly at Mach speeds among buildings, he needs a MegaScaled Sense so he can see obstacles in time to get the heck out of their way.

Happy New Year's Eve to you, too! Don't party too hard. ;)