More CSL questions

JamesG

Question

First, let me apologize in advance for this long-winded post.

I’ve been trying to get my head around all the implications of some of your answers to my questions on 3/3/03 and this statement from the FAQ:

Q: If a character performs a Sweep with a Martial Maneuver, do 3-point Combat Skill Levels with Martial Arts apply to the attack?

A: No. The character is performing a Sweep, which isn’t a Martial Maneuver, even if it incorporates a Martial Maneuver in this instance.

I think I’ve got it, here is my understanding.

CSLs with attacks powers (like CSLs with EB), CSLs with weapons (ex. CSLs with Swords) and CSLs with specific attacks (ex. CSLs with Punch) can apply to any maneuver that is valid for that attack/weapon.

CSLs with specific maneuvers (or groups of specific maneuvers) apply to any attack with that maneuver (or any maneuver within the group), but no other maneuvers (the basis of the FAQ quoted above).

Is my understanding basically correct? Here are some specific instance questions:

1. If a GM was inclined to let a character buy a 3-pnt CSL with all HTH Strikes as described here http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1028 does it apply if he Haymakers or Sweeps his punch? (I’d say no, since Strike, Sweep and Haymaker are separate maneuvers).

2. If a character has CSLs with his EB, can he apply those when Rapid Firing his EB? (I’d say yes).

3. If a character has CSLs with punch, can he apply those when Sweeping his punch? (I’d say yes).

4. If a character has CSLs with punch, can he apply those when attempting to Disarm someone by “punching†their weapon hand? (I’d say yes, Disarm is just another maneuver that the “punch†attack can use).

5. What about Move Bys and Move Throughs? (Maybe, but I think I’d say no, since even when doing these attacks barehanded, they are really different from a ‘punch’).

6. If someone has CSLs with their ranged martial art, can they use them if Setting? (I’d say no, because like Sweep, Set isn’t a Martial Maneuver)

7. What about Brace? (Maybe, Brace is a special case.)

8. If a character has CSLs with Grab, and they use them when Sweeping a Grab? (I’d say no, Grab and Sweep are separate Maneuvers. However if the PC wanted to define the CSL as being with Barehanded Grabs, that’s a specific attack, and they would apply when Sweeping a barehanded Grab, but they would no longer apply to Grabs with weapons (lasso, man-catcher) or TK. Barehanded Grab CSLs would also apply to unarmed Martial Grabs)

9. If a character has CSLs with punch, can he apply those when using a Martial Arts attack that is defined as some kind of “punchâ€, like a Boxing Jab? (Technically yes, but I think I’d rule that any CSLs with punch (or kick) are by definition with non-Martial punches (or kicks), so no).

1 answer to this question

The real problem you’re having, I think, isn’t actually “your” problem at all — it’s that CSLs need greater granularity. As it is, things have to be wedged into too few categories, which makes it a little hinky at times. ;) They need a thorough review, expansion, supplementation, whatever you want to call it — something I’ve made a start on for The Ultimate Skill, but haven’t finished yet.

1. No; by definition it should only apply to Strikes, and as you note Haymaker and Sweep are separate things. At that point the character ought to just upgrade to 5-point HTH Combat Levels.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. I assume you are referring to 2-point OCV Levels with Punch. In that case, the answer is no. “Punch” refers to a specific attack in this case (a Strike made with the hand); it’s not a license to describe anything you can think of as a “punch” and apply the Level. That’d get waaayy too unbalancing too quickly, methinks. ;)

5. No. Again, Move By and Move Through are not “Punch” as it’s defined for a 2-point Level.

6-7. As a default rule, no in both cases. However, the GM could certainly consider allowing it if he felt it made sense and wasn’t unbalancing.

8. I’d agree with your analysis as a default. Again, though, the GM could allow the Levels to apply if he felt it made sense and wasn’t unbalancing.

9. No. See 4-5. ;)