Monster/Race: Stone Troll

Killer Shrike

I'm reading it that the "Damage Resistance" is the regular skin and the "Armor" is the thaches of thick hide. If the stoney exterior armor grows in patches, maybe an Activation Roll or partial Location coverage is warranted? If this extra armor actually grows then it might be interesting to have it as "Ablative" chipping off and growing back later.

How tough is rock-like skin anyway? I think the 9 rDEF you have is about right (I have my won Stone Giants with 10 rDEF, 3 of which is from size which is one or two greater than what your trolls would be), but official write-ups for Stone Golems (HSB.79) are 5 rPD and Gargoyles are 6 rPD (HSB.76), while Stone Giants (MMM.47) have 0 rPD. Not sure how other folks are handling stone-like skin but it would be interesting to compare.

PRE, again, I'd give them PRE Only for PRE attacks, not straight up PRE.

What makes the noses "Legendary" just the size or do they grant some sort of special ability? Tracking Scent, Discriminatory Smell?

If stubborn and hard to train they might have extra EGO, or Mental Defence, or the Resistance Talent.

How do these guys swim? Shouldn't they get a penalty?

Does their massive weight reduce their jumping/leaping ability or does the great STR cancel out the great mass? Judging by the KB Resistance, I'd say they are heavier than stronger (5 to 3 using the old Growth method of size as a guideline),

Discrimination, just part of the DF or might they actually be hunted by some?

Are they just Stone-like in appearance or do they have some sort of affinity for Elemental Earth and, if so, might not some other options open up?

If the rocky growths on them are jagged they could get a HKA for attacks or even a HKA Damage Shield for those that strike them.

Well those are a few quick thoughts that come to mind while reading it over, but I'm tired and will have to leave it at that and get some sleep.

Overall, another good write-up, Ed, thanks for sharing it with us and keep 'em coming...

Originally posted by Hierax I'm reading it that the "Damage Resistance" is the regular skin and the "Armor" is the thaches of thick hide. If the stoney exterior armor grows in patches, maybe an Activation Roll or partial Location coverage is warranted? If this extra armor actually grows then it might be interesting to have it as "Ablative" chipping off and growing back later.
Heh, in this case I meant "hide" in the manner of thick, short fur -- meaning some Trolls have a bit of hair here and there and others dont. I'll edit it to "fur".The Damage Resistance is a natural protection from damage for being large, dense, tough creatures, and the Armor is more of the same -- just a mechanic to get to 9 rDef cheaply. Ill change the "Tough Skin" label to "Rugged".
Originally posted by Hierax How tough is rock-like skin anyway? I think the 9 rDEF you have is about right (I have my won Stone Giants with 10 rDEF, 3 of which is from size which is one or two greater than what your trolls would be), but official write-ups for Stone Golems (HSB.79) are 5 rPD and Gargoyles are 6 rPD (HSB.76), while Stone Giants (MMM.47) have 0 rPD. Not sure how other folks are handling stone-like skin but it would be interesting to compare.
To be honest I wasnt really concerned about the consistency of their skin -- its not literally made of Stone even. I come at it from the otherside -- I wanted Stone Trolls to have the equivalent of a suit of heavy Plate in terms of protection to ensure that they are tough enough (as in durable -- resistant to nicks, scratches, small weapons, weak creatures) to be taken seriously by sword swing thugs. Mostly to ensure that their Regeneration has time to kick in and be a legitimate combat asset.
Originally posted by Hierax PRE, again, I'd give them PRE Only for PRE attacks, not straight up PRE.
Maybe
Originally posted by Hierax What makes the noses "Legendary" just the size or do they grant some sort of special ability? Tracking Scent, Discriminatory Smell?
Legendary as in famously notable. Nothing special about them sense wise. Basically, there are two types of models from GW that lend themselves well to being Stone Trolls. The actual GW Stone Troll stonetro-pmshade.jpg

which has a very large nose or the LotR MordorTroll newimage.asp?Size=A&Img=252143

which has absolutely no nose. Either way, both are certainly noteworthy. I try not to describe things TOO exactly, leaving wiggle room for modelers.

Originally posted by Hierax If stubborn and hard to train they might have extra EGO, or Mental Defence, or the Resistance Talent.
They arent _deliberately_ hard to train, they are just really really stupid and kind of lazy. Nothing that would provide them any defenses per se, just strongly limit their response range.
Originally posted by Hierax How do these guys swim? Shouldn't they get a penalty?.
Well, yeah, ok. Ill knock their Swim down.
Originally posted by Hierax Does their massive weight reduce their jumping/leaping ability or does the great STR cancel out the great mass? Judging by the KB Resistance, I'd say they are heavier than stronger (5 to 3 using the old Growth method of size as a guideline),
Ok, ill knock down their leap too.
Originally posted by Hierax Discrimination, just part of the DF or might they actually be hunted by some?
Not HUNTED per se, but definitely singled out in a scrap. Cant ignore one. I see most Stone Trolls as basically harmless, only dangerous in that they dont know their own strength and some of the dimmer specimens not being able to tell the difference between food and not food. If raised correctly, a Stone Troll is capable of existing among "civilized" society, though likely to be regarded as being on thin ice and only accepted so long as they are useful as heavy laborers, and even playable as a PC. Wild and battle-trained Stone Trolls are a different matter, and can be quite dangerous. Regardless they are not usually actively malevolent, let to their own devices they would by substinence-level hunter-killers, content to sit around and conserve energy most of the day.
Originally posted by Hierax Are they just Stone-like in appearance or do they have some sort of affinity for Elemental Earth and, if so, might not some other options open up?
They just have pebbly grey skin and tend to live in caves (cuz most arent bright enough to make much better), so "Stone Trolls", as opposed to their lean mean green skinned cousins, the classic D&D Troll (which would be labeled "Forest Troll" in some places in context).
Originally posted by Hierax If the rocky growths on them are jagged they could get a HKA for attacks or even a HKA Damage Shield for those that strike them.
No no, just thick skin, like an elephant. ;)
Originally posted by Hierax Well those are a few quick thoughts that come to mind while reading it over, but I'm tired and will have to leave it at that and get some sleep.Overall, another good write-up, Ed, thanks for sharing it with us and keep 'em coming...
Thanx! Youve been churning them out lately so I thought I've been slacking and should chip in here and there as well.